Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/2/2007 4:32:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 4:49:36 PM EDT by Slimjim]
So im watching old clips about the killdozer from a few years back, and was wondering. "Whats the Arfcom general consensus on Marv heemeyer? Was he a hero, or a criminal? After he got shafted by his town, and big business, he showed them what he thought.

Marvin John Heemeyer (October 28, 1951 – June 4, 2004) was an American skilled welder and owner of an automobile muffler shop. On June 4, 2004, frustrated over a failed zoning dispute, Heemeyer used a Komatsu D355A bulldozer modified with armor in the forms of steel and concrete to demolish the town hall, a former mayor's home and other buildings in Granby, Colorado. The rampage ended when the bulldozer lodged on one of the building's basement's edges. Heemeyer killed himself with a handgun.

Info
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:02:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:03:49 PM EDT
You can still go up there and see some of the damage he did. Pretty amazing when it was happening.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:06:53 PM EDT
Damn, I thought this was going to be about the band Killdozer.

I wouldn't call him a hero, by any means.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:07:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TrickyRicky72:
Damn never knew about this, that's bad ass

vidjar.com/video/SbAhF2-H0ew/Amerikan-Hero-Killdozer-By-Marvin-Heemeyer

Also, nobody was injured. He killed only himself, you could see him slow down for police vehicles when it happened. Some say the police planted firearms in the cab of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:07:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By charliedontsurf:
Damn, I thought this was going to be about the band Killdozer.

I wouldn't call him a hero, by any means.

We dumped tea over the sides of a ship in protest of big government years ago.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:09:15 PM EDT
What a way to make a statement!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:12:12 PM EDT
I can't remember which newspaper had the headline

"Man levels complaint with city hall"

I think there were no good guys in that saga... mayor and council sounds like petty tyrants that sometimes flourish in those types of towns, Marvin was a bit off, he should have rigged up a remote control for his dozer...

I will say what a waste of talent that man should have been in Iraq making convoy dozers or something......quite a feat for one man to assemble killdozer

I don;t know what it is with CO and tarctor crime this is the third incident I know of where someone went on a rampage with heavy equipment
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:12:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Slimjim:

Also, nobody was injured. He killed only himself, you could see him slow down for police vehicles when it happened. Some say the police planted firearms in the cab of the vehicle.

Yeah, cause a guy crazy enough to armor plate his bulldozer and go on a rampage would never carry a gun.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:12:52 PM EDT
did he kill anyone? he sounds like a demented mother fucker to me... but then the ramstein song didn't help that...

ETA: ok no one died, but damn were those .50's in that truck? guy had good taste...
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:15:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bluewaterheaven:
did he kill anyone? he sounds like a demented mother fucker to me... but then the ramstein song didn't help that...

ETA: ok no one died, but damn were those .50's in that truck? guy had good taste...

Yeah, only bought a handgun to kill himself with before going on his mission.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:15:43 PM EDT
That was the perfect song for that video. That was a very interesting event.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:15:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tim_the_enchanter:

Yeah, cause a guy crazy enough to armor plate his bulldozer and go on a rampage would never carry a gun.

But, scoped rifles, through a port only big enough for the muzzle?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:24:58 PM EDT
I was thinking this was going to about the band Killdozer too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:29:31 PM EDT

Yes, he did carry a gun. To shoot himself with.

Read up or don't reply.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:39:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By madmathew:

I was thinking of the dumb bitch who got in front of a IDF Catapiller dozer and got flattened.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:47:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By eodtech2000:

I was thinking of the dumb bitch who got in front of a IDF Catapiller dozer and got flattened.

+1
... dumb bitch
but this is entertaining too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:48:01 PM EDT

Funny, there was a debate about that in another thread today.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:48:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 5:49:23 PM EDT by Haterade]
A victim of an oppressive local government.

He definitely walked the walk a lot of people here wouldn't. Including me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:50:11 PM EDT
Cool. Better than setting yourself on fire...
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:55:40 PM EDT
That's actually pretty cool.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:57:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MagicPussyCat:

Yes, he did carry a gun. To shoot himself with.

Read up or don't reply.

That went so far over your head it's not even funny.

Someone's sarcasm meter is way outta calibration.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:57:42 PM EDT

But, scoped rifles, through a port only big enough for the muzzle?

Why not? Is he what you would call a rational thinker? Perhaps it's more fun to believe a conspiracy.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:57:58 PM EDT

Thats what I thought as well.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:58:13 PM EDT

Also notice this. He went out of his way to avoid hurting people. He only damaged property.

Bringing guns totally goes against his actions using the dozer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:59:12 PM EDT
Interesting.

So.... I wonder how long it took him to re-condition the dozer to pull this off?

Can you imagine the sorts of Mad Max vehicles the machine shops and Yankee engineers would McGuyer across the fruited plane in the event of a massive SHTF?

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:04:10 PM EDT
Tyrants need to know that there are Crazy SOBs that will snap back at them if the Power Mad .Gov bastards bully their subjects too far.

the Killdozer guy was getting very screwed by the local .Gov, for along time, but I guess he felt hefound a way to settle the score.

He didn't hurt or kill anyone (excepting himself) so for the fact that he didn't harm anyone except himself, he is OK in my book.

Better than Blowing Up a building right?

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:06:00 PM EDT
Bulldozers should be banned
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:12:17 PM EDT
Hey,

Wiki link for those interested:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer

"I was always willing to be reasonable until I had to be unreasonable," Heemeyer scribbled. "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."

Kevin "Wow."
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:22:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 6:36:13 PM EDT by HKocher]

Originally Posted By notso:

Also notice this. He went out of his way to avoid hurting people. He only damaged property.

Didn't he have some pretty good hardware in there? I'm thinking a Barrett M82 and a battlerifle (FAL IIRC).

I think it's pretty tinfoil-hat to suggest the police planted those guns. What's the motivation, the guy's already dead???

*edited to add

Yup, found a link: extras.denverpost.com/slideshows/dozer_slideshow.html

M82, a nice Para FAL, and a scoped Mini 14 (not 100% sure on this one).

Plus, those are obviously gun ports built into the interior. Why build gun ports if you don't plan on pointing guns out of them?

Not saying the guy intended on shooting anyone, just pointing out that it's silly to believe the police 'planted' the guns.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:24:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HKocher:

Didn't he have some pretty good hardware in there? I'm thinking a Barrett M82 and a battlerifle (FAL IIRC).

I think it's pretty tinfoil-hat to suggest the police planted those guns. What's the motivation, the guy's already dead???

Anyone know how they opened up the tznkdozer? Rumor has it they had to use a shape charge to get in

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:40:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JusAdBellum:
Interesting.

So.... I wonder how long it took him to re-condition the dozer to pull this off?

Can you imagine the sorts of Mad Max vehicles the machine shops and Yankee engineers would McGuyer across the fruited plane in the event of a massive SHTF?

1.5 years.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:41:48 PM EDT
I know he didn't hurt anybody, but he did fuck up some private property.

I commend him for taking a stand, I find certain zoning ordinances heavy-handed & oppressive myself, but I think he could've found another avenue to resolve his grievances.

I fail to see where his actions were heroic on a level comparable to the Boston Tea Party.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:42:04 PM EDT

*edited to add

Yup, found a link: extras.denverpost.com/slideshows/dozer_slideshow.html

M82, a nice Para FAL, and a scoped Mini 14 (not 100% sure on this one).

Plus, those are obviously gun ports built into the interior. Why build gun ports if you don't plan on pointing guns out of them?

Not saying the guy intended on shooting anyone, just pointing out that it's silly to believe the police 'planted' the guns.

The ports were for cameras for the monitors.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:46:06 PM EDT

I commend him for taking a stand, I find certain zoning ordinances heavy-handed & oppressive myself, but I think he could've found another avenue to resolve his grievances.

I fail to see where his actions were heroic on a level comparable to the Boston Tea Party.

How long do you try? IIRC, he had gone all the way to the State Supreme Court and gotten no help.

This occured over 4 years. This was not some guy getting amd and deciding to drive his truck over someone. The prep to the Dozer was 18 Months alone.

I cant believe that someone would do somthing that detailed and planned because of irrational anger.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:48:37 PM EDT

Riiight. And they just so happened to be the right size for the bbls of the rifles the police planted?

Honestly, give me a good reason why the police would plant guns in the cab. I'm listening.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:56:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:57:48 PM EDT

How long do you try? IIRC, he had gone all the way to the State Supreme Court and gotten no help.

This occured over 4 years. This was not some guy getting amd and deciding to drive his truck over someone. The prep to the Dozer was 18 Months alone.

I cant believe that someone would do somthing that detailed and planned because of irrational anger.

So that makes it OK to go Mad Max & physically destroy part of the town....

I completely grasp his motive, and want to root for the little guy, but I still don't see where this is a trully heroic endeavor.

As mentioned before by others in this thread, all parties in this incident were partially to blame, but I guess he was going to settle it on his own terms regardless.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:59:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 7:07:41 PM EDT by notso]

Riiight. And they just so happened to be the right size for the bbls of the rifles the police planted?

Honestly, give me a good reason why the police would plant guns in the cab. I'm listening.

To direct attention away from a legitimate complaint that had been ignored, stonewalled.

To direct the blame onto an "unstable" man who just happened to decide to bulldoze the town.

I remember when this happened, I watched the reports come in here on ARFCOM. There was an eye witness report from a firefighter who was present at the opening of the machine, and reported that there were no guns in the dozer.

Im going to dig for an Archive link now.

ETA: Here is the Archive link, but it is not loading the full page for me

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=247849

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:05:19 PM EDT

To direct attention away from a legitimate complaint that had been ignored, stonewalled.

To direct the blame onto an "unstable" man who just happened to decide to bulldoze the town.

I remember when this happened, I watched the reports come in here on ARFCOM. There was an eye witness report from a firefighter who was present at the opening of the machine, and reported that there were no guns in the dozer.

I salute those ballsy enough to walk the walk.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:09:41 PM EDT
I don't think we are allowed to condone that kind of behavior, but we can certainly admire his ingenuity, ambition, and good old American know-how.

The only thing he forgot was a remote control system. Had he escaped into the surrounding hills, he would have acquired folk hero status for sure.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:10:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MadMurdock:

Its more than most arfcommers would do. (Probly myself included, depends on the situation)
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:11:52 PM EDT
Here is the thread started after he was found dead in the machine

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=248003
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:19:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MadMurdock:

good point. notice how many here will say (they will do similar) that when they (in fiction) come for the guns, however but this guy was insane.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:22:37 PM EDT
I read the title and instantly thought of the early 70's movie Killdozer. Remebered watching it as a kid. Killdozer Movie
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:23:11 PM EDT

link?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:25:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 67Steven:
I read the title and instantly thought of the early 70's movie Killdozer. Remebered watching it as a kid. Killdozer Movie

i saw that way back when. being a big Jeep fan i was totally dismayed when it ran overthat CJ5.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:27:36 PM EDT
I'm thinking the rifles were for in case he saw the mayor or city council that he had a real beef with. Think about it, he knows that they can outrun and outmanuever him on foot if they need to for long enough to get into a vehicle and GTFO. So, he has himself a little "Just In Case" plan.

He put those rifles in there. He may not have intended to use them ala "shooting spree" but he did intend harm.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:29:05 PM EDT
He's fine in my book. I'd buy him a beer, were it possible.

Damn sure gave the worthless garbage running the town something to think about, as well as some things to spend money on.

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:29:47 PM EDT
wow I can't believe I never heard of this....maybe that guy that is having that ex judge in colorado STEAL his land needs to watch this

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:35:17 PM EDT
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top