Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/2/2009 5:19:26 PM EDT
I was at the rodeo this weekend and had to go out to my truck to get somethin about halfway through.  When I got back to the parkin area I heard this loud crackin sound and when I got closer I saw a fella had his boy who looked about 10 or so across the tailgate of his truck (right next to mine) and was workin him over pretty good with what looked like a harness strap off a saddle.  I was surprised that he was doin it right there in a semi-public place.  He saw me, stopped for a second, made a comment about havin to "set him straight" or somethin like that, and then kept right on with the whuppin.  I just gave him a "10-4" got what I needed and went back to the rodeo.  All in all I saw the boy get maybe 10 licks or so.  Are folks still pretty open about stuff like that or just here in the more "country" areas?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was at the rodeo this weekend and had to go out to my truck to get somethin about halfway through.  When I got back to the parkin area I heard this loud crackin sound and when I got closer I saw a fella had his boy who looked about 10 or so across the tailgate of his truck (right next to mine) and was workin him over pretty good with what looked like a harness strap off a saddle.  I was surprised that he was doin it right there in a semi-public place.  He saw me, stopped for a second, made a comment about havin to "set him straight" or somethin like that, and then kept right on with the whuppin.  I just gave him a "10-4" got what I needed and went back to the rodeo.  All in all I saw the boy get maybe 10 licks or so.  Are folks still pretty open about stuff like that or just here in the more "country" areas?

I believe in spanking, but not in public.  That's humiliating.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe in spanking, but not in public.  That's humiliating.[/quote]

Some kids are like dogs, you have to spank them immediately or they will forget what they are being punished for.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Some kids are like dogs, you have to spank them immediately or they will forget what they are being punished for.[/quote]

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I got mine spanked enough in public, and I turned out alright.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Some kids are like dogs, you have to spank them immediately or they will forget what they are being punished for.

I absolutely agree that this is sometimes appropriate.  Apply the board of education to the seat of learning.  Sometimes a public action deserves a public reaction.  Otherwise the kid knows he has some sort of control over the parent.  I don't give ANY control to my kid when it comes to discipline.  And he loves me for it.

Patrick
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was kind of humiliating for me when my kid acted up in public. he only did it once. He learned.....fullclip

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Some kids are like dogs, you have to spank them immediately or they will forget what they are being punished for.[/quote]

This.

I'd have no problem doing it, and my son knows it.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#8]
It's nice to know that REAL discipline is still alive in TX.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Humiliating is when the parent pulls the kids pants down and spanks his bare behind in front of other kids.  Yes I have seen this done.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I prefer to spank in private too.

ETA: but sometime a parent's gotta do what a parent's gotta do.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#11]
When I lived in WI I was afraid to spank in public, but did so on occasion. By the time I got to Texas, my son was 4.5 and only has had maybe 5 spankings since then, all in private. He is 12 as of last month, and a total pleasure to be around. The teens hit in 11 months and we shall see if memory serves him well, or if hormones get the better of him.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't whoop um in public.  But I take them aside and go do it.  I have backhanded my son in front of his friends but that's cuz he smarted off to try and show off.  That didn't happen again.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Anybody that uses anything more than their own hands on their kids should get their teeth smashed in and all their fingers broken.

You want to smack your kid across the backside or upside the head (just hard enough to get the point across) for doing something dangerous or extremely dumb, that's fine.  You pick up a weapon and start literally beating them, I will stop you and when I'm done you won't be able to do it twice.

There is a special place in hell for parents that beat their children.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a nephew who set a fire in the back of my van back in the 80's outside of Johnson City.  I was pissed.  I pulled over and jerked him out of the vehicle and drug him behind the van with him kicking and screaming.  He was screaming how I could not whoop him because he would call the police.  I pulled my belt, turned him over my knee and proceeded to give him a whooping when a Texas DPS office drove by.  The office honked his horn, flashed his lights and gave me a thumbs up as he drove by.  The little jerk from California could not believe his eyes. I did not hear a word out of my nephew the whole way home.  His mother and sisters were as quite as church mice.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Humiliating is when the parent pulls the kids pants down and spanks his bare behind in front of other kids.  Yes I have seen this done.

That was my mom and dad......
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I spanked mine in public. MY son was being a little shit in a store and hiding in one of those round things they hang clothes on. I'd pulled him out twice and told him if he did it again I sat his ass on fire. He was okay for about five minutes and then he was gone again. I pulled him out and started smacking his ass like I told him I would.

Some woman who was standing near by came over and started in on me about how dare you strike that child. I was in no mood for shit from anyone and I just held out the arm I had hold of and said, here, you think your such a fucking great parent you take him. She was like a deer in the headlights. She could get away from us fast enough. This was California in the late 70s.

My son is 32 now. He remembers this incident and said he can still remember the look on the womans face "as she ran away".
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#17]
My Dad told me once that when us kids were hatched Mom tried to get him to do the spankings. He told her if we need our butt busted (Dad's favorite term) then she had better bust our butts right then and there and not wait for him to come home.  Mom would bust our butts when we needed it regardless of location, and if we truly made a major fuck up we got another round when Dad came home and heard "what his kids had done...) This happened very rarely, but I think this is why the protection from "double jeopardy" is one of my favorite parts of the US law....
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't whoop um in public.  But I take them aside and go do it.  I have backhanded my son in front of his friends but that's cuz he smarted off to try and show off.  That didn't happen again.

Public humiliation is an incredibly powerful tool.

Ask me how I know
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anybody that uses anything more than their own hands on their kids should get their teeth smashed in and all their fingers broken.

You want to smack your kid across the backside or upside the head (just hard enough to get the point across) for doing something dangerous or extremely dumb, that's fine.  You pick up a weapon and start literally beating them, I will stop you and when I'm done you won't be able to do it twice.

Ok mr. commando.  How about you deal with your own kids the way you see fit?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I absolutely agree that this is sometimes appropriate.  Apply the board of education to the seat of learning.  Sometimes a public action deserves a public reaction.  Otherwise the kid knows he has some sort of control over the parent.  I don't give ANY control to my kid when it comes to discipline.  And he loves me for it.

Patrick

Very eloquently put! If I started acting up, my parents usually took me away from everybody to discipline me, but if the situation warranted it they weren't above bringing down the wrath in front of people. So guess what I learned, not to act up in public.

And we were complimented all the time about how well behaved we were.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't beat my son, I spank him when he needs it.  And as his FATHER I get to choose when he needs it.

If you EVER see me spanking my child and want to try to stop me, you're more than welcome.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#22]
i think its more humiliating when parents can't control their shit head kids.
ETA:
spanking is what a parent does to punish their kids (or be kinky with their significant other).  
beating is what a parent does for no good reason
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I got mine spanked enough in public, and I turned out alright.

this..
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I believe in spanking, beating, not so much.  I have to say though, some kids that I have been around could have used a good thrashing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Dont embarrass your parents and they wont embarrass you.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

One of the most factual statements ever made on ARFCOM

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#27]
My dad used a belt on me once, I can't remember what it was for but I apparently learned because I never got the belt again.  I would not consider it a "beating".

Didn't any of you pussies get paddled in school?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#28]
For the most part growing up spankins were done in private, but neither mom or dad would hesitate to bust our butts in public. We didnt act up in public much..

I take my boy to the bathroom most of the time if were out and he needs a spankin. There have been times though that a quick pop to the butt gets his attention pretty quick wherever we are at. Had a man about the age my grandpa wouldve been come up and thank me for not hesitating to correct him. He said he wished more people would count to 3 as they are giving the spankins needed instead of counting to 3 just to hear themselves talk.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't beat my son, I spank him when he needs it.  And as his FATHER I get to choose when he needs it.

If you EVER see me spanking my child and want to try to stop me, you're more than welcome.

If I see you paddling his butt, I'm going to assume he earned it.  If I see you beating him with a belt or a strap or a stick or any kind of weapon, the first thing you're going to see is my fist.

Pounding another adult with any kind of implement would be assault.  I don't give parents a free pass on using the same thing on their children just because they're children.  There is a very clear distinction between parenting and child abuse, and if you show a certain lack of ability to tell them apart, I'm more than willing to set you straight until the cops get there.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I dont believe in ritualized spanking.  The whole bending them over and getting something to hit them with and then hitting them on just the ass seems fucked up in a fruedian way.  I say when they do something wrong smack them on the back of the head and say dumbass ala red foreman.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's nice to know that REAL discipline is still alive in TX.

+1
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just knew he had to be from Wa state.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Wrong way of thinking about it IMO. If you don't punish them right then and there then they will "think" they can do ANYTHING in public because the parent, YOU, are afraid of DISCIPLINING them in PUBLIC, if you don't do that they will gain more power.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I see you paddling his butt, I'm going to assume he earned it.  If I see you beating him with a belt or a strap or a stick or any kind of weapon, the first thing you're going to see is my fist.

Pounding another adult with any kind of implement would be assault.  I don't give parents a free pass on using the same thing on their children just because they're children.  There is a very clear distinction between parenting and child abuse, and if you show a certain lack of ability to tell them apart, I'm more than willing to set you straight until the cops get there.

Around here if you used your fist on me when I whipped my child with a belt, the cops would haul your ass off to jail and you would certainly be named the jackass.  That's if the ambulance didn't have to carry you off first.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#35]
There is a difference between beating and spanking

After an Hour

Beatings leave bruises
Spankings leave memories

My 5 year old knows this
I have never Bruised her
But ask her to touch something on my night stand...
Anything go ahead    

Welps where gone in under an hour, one small one on each leg just below the diaper
I use the cut off piece from a belt
When it comes out she knows she's been bad
She still knows what not to do

I have not had to use it in a long time
I did break it out I think this year... ONCE
She straightened right up
Did not need to use it she knows that is not the thing she wants to happen
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#36]

I am 48 years old and i was spanked but not like that.  In my experience, the kids that had the shit beat out of them grew up to be physcopaths that would fight anyone or anybody to get what they want.  It is like all things when raising children,  a fine line.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is a weapon?  A belt?  A willow switch?  Need your definitions before I really respond to this.  

Patrick
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't beat my son either, and I also spank him when he needs it.....  and while I agree that if someone is literally "beating" the child to the point of injury it's wrong.....

But if YOU step in while I'm correcting MY child, YOU had better have a decent insurance policy because it ain't going to be pretty.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#39]
*grab the back of the chair son*  I heard that a time or two.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#40]
I got park security called on me at LegoLand in Kommiefornia for POINTING a wooden spoon at my 4 year old who was acting up. All it ever takes is to just let him see it and he flies right. I've only had to actually use it on him a handful of times.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.  You must be one bad cat.  You have never seen any of the folks on here, yet seem extremely confident as to the outcome of that kind of confrontation with a resolute parent.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Bah...I like my membership here more.

Press on with your badassness, Mr. I'll Stop You.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd better bring a step ladder and a sack lunch.........because your gonna be there all day.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is a weapon?  A belt?  A willow switch?  Need your definitions before I really respond to this.  

Patrick

I don't give a fuck what his definition is. It's MY kid, and the first person that tries to intervene in the way I am raising him will recover from his anal-cranial inversion most fucking ricky-tick one way or another.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#45]
it seems when the posters are are fired-up after beating their kids, they're pumped-up for the adults.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Public or not,, a good "whuppin" makes most kids fast learners.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#47]
edit screwed up quotes

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Patrick

I don't give a fuck what his definition is. It's MY kid, and the first person that tries to intervene in the way I am raising him will recover from his anal-cranial inversion most fucking ricky-tick one way or another.

OKZJ - I dont know you at all, but as a responsible father, my immediate response is in violent agreement with you..  I will not tolerate another person telling me how to raise my son.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing you may have been the unfortunate recipient of poor parenting as you obviously don't have a clue as to what real parenting actually entails. Spanking your child with a belt is one way that gets their attention post haste, and is very effective. I have three kids and only had to use it on each of them once, and not because I "beat" them either. You go ahead and rely on a timeout if you like,but I want my kids to behave and god help you if you get in the way.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I am 48 years old and i was spanked but not like that.  In my experience, the kids that had the shit beat out of them grew up to be physcopaths that would fight anyone or anybody to get what they want.  It is like all things when raising children,  a fine line.

I wonder if this is the problem with the Sasquatch guy––-daddy beat that ass one too many times with a "weapon" and now he watches Oprah as he reminisces about all the "abuse"....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top