Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2005 3:13:28 PM EDT
I've decided to buy my first khukri from a catalogue I got from Atlanta Cutlery. They've got a few models, including WWII army issue and pre-WWI khukris, but I'm interested in a new one. Plus the old ones cost $100 or more, sheath seperate.

They've got two that I'm looking at right now, both for the price of $30.

The first is actual Gurkha military issue. 12" blade that's 1/4" thick, scale tang. Hardwood handle. 17" overall, weight 1lb 6oz. Includes two accessory knives and leather sheath.

The second is the officer's version. 9 1/2" blade that's 3/16" thick. Contoured handle is genuine buffalo horn. Brass pommel and bolster. 14" overall, weight 1lb. Comes with two accessry knives and leather sheath.

I like the look of the officer's version more, but I want whichever knife would be more practical in day to day use.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the 12 inch blade model...............the other is smaller, but the 12 inch blade is the one I have and it swings really easy, not to mention has plenty of heft to do the job
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#2]
What- ONE reply? What's wrong with you people? This is ARFCOM for pete's sake!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Reverse the grip and the tip of the blade should extent to about the end of your elbow.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
This thread is useless w/o pics
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the Cold Steel one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Officer's Model

Standard model
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Reverse the grip and the tip of the blade should extent to about the end of your elbow.

This involves having one to do that with first.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a cold steel light kukri.

Great  knife, but it rusts extremely easily.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Measure from about the base of your fingers to your elbow.  Or hold a sitck in a reverse grip and mark where the end of the handle would be and where you elbow is and the measure the distance between the marks.

Try and find one about the same length and it should be more or less properly balanced.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Measure from about the base of your fingers to your elbow.  Or hold a sitck in a reverse grip and mark where the end of the handle would be and where you elbow is and the measure the distance between the marks.

Try and find one about the same length and it should be more or less properly balanced.

I guess I'll be getting the one that doesn't look pretty then. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Get a cold steel light kukri.

Great  knife, but it rusts extremely easily.

I couldn't agree more. Get a Cold Steel. The rubber handle is better IMO.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I like the look of the officer's version more, but I want whichever knife would be more practical in day to day use.Opinions?

So what exactly would you use a kukri for anyway. I don't see any practical day to day use of one, unless of course you are a Gurka.
Enlighten me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like the look of the officer's version more, but I want whichever knife would be more practical in day to day use.Opinions?

So what exactly would you use a kukri for anyway. I don't see any practical day to day use of one, unless of course you are a Gurka.
Enlighten me.

Use as a machete, defensive weapon, whatever.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#14]
 Sorry to tell you this but those khuks that Atlanta cutlery sells are not militaty issue.  They are masssed produced by Windlass Steelcraft. A sweatshop in India quality is hit and miss.
  If you want a genuine khuk that issued to british troops go here.

http://www.toratoratora.co.uk/catalogue/category.asp?id=6    They aren't cheap and they are in England,    But Simon and Leann provide excellent customer service.   My orders get to me in 7 days.  This ones my favorite fo field work   http://www.toratoratora.co.uk/kukri/details.asp?id=8

Also look at Himalayan Imports again pricey ,but you get what you pay for.  
    http://www.himalayan-imports.com/

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Officer's Model

Standard model

This reeks of replica!!!  What I mean is you try to chop a stem with it it will probably break or chip.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#16]
You get what you pay for, I would not trust that Atlanta model.  Besides being made by Windlass (mass produced), a good way to tell the quality of a khuk is to look at the karda and chakma (accessory knives) that come with it.  Atlanta's look tiny and useless.  Tora is fine, and Himalayan Imports is best if you are in the US.  Check out the HI Board for discussion and usually daily specials.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top