Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 1:31:44 PM EDT
I know some of you people have keurigs and I know you have temperature readers too.  I have the first part but not the last part.  

I'm skeptical that its actually 192 degrees, and I'd really like to know what it actually brews at.  Anyone know offhand or can do the test?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
This was also the temp that McDonalds brewed at until that stupid and irresponsible woman blamed others for her crotchburn.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know some of you people have keurigs and I know you have temperature readers too.  I have the first part but not the last part.  

I'm skeptical that its actually 192 degrees, and I'd really like to know what it actually brews at.  Anyone know offhand or can do the test?
View Quote

190 w a thermapen. That was sticking it directly into the stream before it got to the mug
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm skeptical too. My coffee isn't all that hot and the water I keep in it is room temp.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm skeptical too. My coffee isn't all that hot and the water I keep in it is room temp.
View Quote

My room temp mug took it down to 170. 66 room temp
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This was also the temp that McDonalds brewed at until that stupid and irresponsible woman blamed others for her crotchburn.
View Quote

Im guessing you never read the lawsuit.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#6]
My digital thermometer reads 189F on my Keurig.  Close enough for me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very interesting.  Might have to microwave my mug without anything in it for a bit.  I figured there was a decent level of heat transfer here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#8]
195 TO 200 DEGREES are ideal temps for coffee brewing..at least to what I learned 100 years ago..

I have to assume the Keurig, ,using a fine grind coffee probably brews at a lower temp.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I still don't understand all the love for these Keurig things.  I tried a sample at Costco and... It sucked.

If you can't even get a great-tasting demo going... Why would I buy the product?

My $30 stove-top espresso maker is far superior in taste and quality.  A bit more work, sure, but if you're going to be a coffee snob, it ain't easy...

Eta: damn auto-correct

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Very interesting.  Might have to microwave my mug without anything in it for a bit.  I figured there was a decent level of heat transfer here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

microwave your mug 1/2 full of water..an empty vessel in a microwave can lead to an issue..Chef.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would he?  The media told him all he needed to know.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I still don't understand all the love for these Keurig things.  I tried a sample at Costco and... It sucked.

If you can't even get a great-tasting demo going... Why would I buy the product?

My $30 stove-top espresso maker is far superior in taste and quality.  A bit more work, sure, but if you're going to be a coffee snob, it ain't easy...

View Quote

Subjective and all that.

The Major Dickason's tap in my office works wonders.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm on my second Keurig. This one is definitely hotter than the first one and I wouldn't doubt its temperature.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I use my Keurig to heat the water for my Aeropress. Works well. I collect the hot water in a plastic measuring cup and pour it into the Aeropress. I preheat the coffee cup  with the left over hot water, pour out the hot water when the Aeropress is ready. Coffee is the right temp for me. When I get up in the AM, the Keurig has the hot water waiting. Grind some beans had have fresh coffee in a few seconds.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I use my Keurig to heat the water for my Aeropress. Works well. I collect the hot water in a plastic measuring cup and pour it into the Aeropress. I preheat the coffee cup  with the left over hot water, pour out the hot water when the Aeropress is ready. Coffee is the right temp for me. When I get up in the AM, the Keurig has the hot water waiting. Grind some beans had have fresh coffee in a few seconds.
View Quote

Yup that's exactly what I'm looking to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because you can have a cup of coffee in 20 seconds with little to no effort.
Just brewed a single cup for the afternoon lull right now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#17]
The temperature is adjustable between 187-192 degrees.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Crappy coffee does exist in K cups just like good coffee does.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wouldn't heat up without anything in it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The temperature is adjustable.
View Quote

Mine won't go over 192 degrees
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which one is the good one?

I'm serious.  I love the idea of this thing, but have yet to be convinced it will ever make me a cup of coffee that I like.

ETA:  for me, good = strong, dark... Basically as close to straight espresso as possible.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#22]
192ºF is insanely hot coffee.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

from wiki......

Burn incident

On February 27, 1992, Stella Liebeck, a 79-year-old woman from Albuquerque, New Mexico, ordered a 49-cent cup of coffee from the drive-through window of a local McDonald's restaurant located at 5001 Gibson Boulevard Southeast. Liebeck was in the passenger's seat of her grandson's 1989 Ford Probe,
which did not have cup holders, and her grandson Chris parked the car
so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her coffee. Liebeck placed
the coffee cup between her knees and pulled the far side of the lid
toward her to remove it. In the process, she spilled the entire cup of
coffee on her lap. Liebeck was wearing cotton sweatpants; they absorbed the coffee and held it against her skin, scalding her thighs, buttocks, and groin.

Liebeck was taken to the hospital, where it was determined that she
had suffered third-degree burns on six percent of her skin and lesser
burns over sixteen percent.
She remained in the hospital for eight days while she underwent skin
grafting. During this period, Liebeck lost 20 pounds (9 kg, nearly 20%
of her body weight), reducing her to 83 pounds (38 kg). Liebeck suffered
permanent disfigurement after the incident and was partially disabled
for up to two years afterwards.

Pre-trial

Liebeck sought to settle with McDonald's for $20,000 to cover her
actual and anticipated expenses. Her past medical expenses were $10,500;
her anticipated future medical expenses were approximately $2,500; and
her loss of income was approximately $5,000 for a total of approximately
$18,000.
Instead, the company offered only $800. When McDonald's refused to
raise its offer, Liebeck retained Texas attorney Reed Morgan. Morgan
filed suit in New Mexico District Court accusing McDonald's of "gross negligence"
for selling coffee that was "unreasonably dangerous" and "defectively
manufactured". Previously, New Mexico had never found for a Plaintiff in
a product liability suit. Two scheduled mediations were not attended by
McDonald's.
McDonald's refused Morgan's offer to settle for $90,000. Morgan offered
to settle for $300,000, and a mediator suggested $225,000 just before
trial, but McDonald's refused these final pre-trial attempts to settle.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I bet if people read the case they would not consider her a fool.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:50:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
192ºF is insanely hot coffee.
View Quote

I suspect the vessel has something to do with it also..  for example a ceramic mug will absorb some of that heat, whereas a styrafoam cup wont.  

for myself, I put so dang much creamer and sugar in its drinkable right when its brewed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't consider her a fool. She spilled coffee on herself and made a bunch of money. Frivolous yes, foolish, apparently not. AS far as the argument that the coffee was too hot, every where I look, the suggested temp for brewing coffee is between 195 and 200 degrees F.  Yes, that's very hot, scalding hot and that's also the right temperature to brew coffee. So we either need to accept that coffee is fucking hot and if you order it it's going to be hot, or conclude that we as a society are too simple to be trusted with hot beverages and let the government protects us from ourselves by banning coffee.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I don't consider her a fool. She spilled coffee on herself and made a bunch of money. Frivolous yes, foolish, apparently not. AS far as the argument that the coffee was too hot, every where I look, the suggested temp for brewing coffee is between 195 and 200 degrees F.  Yes, that's very hot, scalding hot and that's also the right temperature to brew coffee. So we either need to accept that coffee is fucking hot and if you order it it's going to be hot, or conclude that we as a society are too simple to be trusted with hot beverages and let the government protects us from ourselves by banning coffee.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you know nothing other than what the MSM presented to the public about the suit?  

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Mine measured 174 degrees with a Thermopen this morning.  The coffee was brewed straight into a ceramic mug with no preheating of anything.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Mine you can adjust.  All I know it it wasn't as hot as the Lincoln customer lounge (they had some fancy machine) at the auto show this past week.  I burned my tongue so bad that I still have no feeling in it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#30]
It's all in the grind!

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

The pre-made cups aren't very good in my experience. I have a reusable filter that you can put whatever coffee you like in it. The coffee I use is a hell of a lot better and cheaper then the kcups. I never drink more than a cup of coffee so brewing a whole pot is a huge waste for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top