BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 2:56:55 PM EDT
Updated: January 7th, 2005 11:48:55 AM

Louisville, Kentucky, Police Shoot Two in Nine Hours

BRUCE SCHREINER
Associated Press

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- In a nine-hour span, police fatally shot a man armed with a knife and critically wounded an ax-wielding teenager, drawing fresh complaints from civil-rights activists in a city already troubled by a rash of officer shootings.

Police said the two men shot Wednesday night and early Thursday were drawing close to officers and ignored commands to drop their weapons. Police were investigating but said the officers appeared to follow proper procedure.

Activists decried the shootings, saying police should stop waging "target practice" on suspects.

Louisville police have fatally shot 13 people - including seven blacks - since 1998. The two suspects in the latest shootings were white.

"Something is terribly wrong with the psyche and the mentality of this police department," said the Rev. Louis Coleman, head of the Justice Resource Center.

"This is not a black issue - this is a human issue," added the Rev. James Tennyson, another activist with the same group.

Donald Neifert, 40, was fatally shot Wednesday night as officers sought him on a warrant charging him with intimidating a witness. A few hours later, 19-year-old Brayden Cole Adrio was shot in the chest after his mother called officers to say the ax-wielding teen was out of control. Adrio was hospitalized in critical condition.

The officers, both of whom are white, were placed on paid administrative leave.

A year ago, a white Louisville police officer fatally shot a black teenage drug suspect, inciting protests. The officer was acquitted last year of murder and other charges. He was fired by Police Chief Robert White but is now seeking reinstatement.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#1]
This is getting fucking insane, are we not gonna let police officers do their jobs anymore?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Two dead 'tards. No complaints here.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Fucking retards complaining.   A suspect with a knife IS a threat.  I don't care if you have a gun or a bazooka, he is still a threat to you.  Same for an axe weilding teenager.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#4]
[conventional wisdom] most cops will never even draw their gun in their entire career.[/Conventional wisdom]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh no, please don't shoot anyone weilding a knife or an axe.    

If not them, then who the hell are they ALLOWED to shoot?  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#6]

This is getting fucking insane, are we not gonna let police officers do their jobs anymore?

Yes, but only in white neighborhoods. If the perps were white there would be no issue.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
[conventional wisdom] most cops will never even draw their gun in their entire career.[/Conventional wisdom]

Funny how comments from 40 years ago are still held true in the minds of some people.  Next time I'm on a call and told that by a liberal, I'll try to remind them to leave their houses unlocked as well....
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yes, but only in white neighborhoods. If the perps were white there would be no issue.

The perps WERE white!

Louisville police have fatally shot 13 people - including seven blacks - since 1998. The two suspects in the latest shootings were white.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow bleeding heart liberals at it again.  I think that the police should just "talk" to the suspects and not use any kind of force.  Then, no one will die and we will live happily ever after.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in Louisville and work downtown so I see the reverend everytime he stages a demonstration. I found out about those two in the smoke room at work.

Here's a link to the local paper's article.

Officers tried 'to avoid deadly force,' chief says
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Good bye white trash

And before anyone jumps on the Holy band wagon, I am anglo.

Well half anyway.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Public schooling?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#13]

"Something is terribly wrong with the psyche and the mentality of this police department,"

Yeah, they don't want to get an axe in the head, imagine that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Updated: January 7th, 2005 11:48:55 AM

BRUCE SCHREINER
Associated Press

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- In a nine-hour span, police fatally shot a man armed with a knife and critically wounded an ax-wielding teenager, drawing fresh complaints from civil-rights activists in a city already troubled by a rash of officer shootings.

Police said the two men shot Wednesday night and early Thursday were drawing close to officers and ignored commands to drop their weapons. Police were investigating but said the officers appeared to follow proper procedure.

Activists decried the shootings, saying police should stop waging "target practice" on suspects.

"Something is terribly wrong with the psyche and the mentality of this police department," said the Rev. Louis Coleman, head of the Justice Resource Center.

"This is not a black issue - this is a human issue," added the Rev. James Tennyson, another activist with the same group.

Donald Neifert, 40, was fatally shot Wednesday night as officers sought him on a warrant charging him with intimidating a witness. A few hours later, 19-year-old Brayden Cole Adrio was shot in the chest after his mother called officers to say the ax-wielding teen was out of control. Adrio was hospitalized in critical condition.

The officers, both of whom are white, were placed on paid administrative leave.

A year ago, a white Louisville police officer fatally shot a black teenage drug suspect, inciting protests. The officer was acquitted last year of murder and other charges. He was fired by Police Chief Robert White but is now seeking reinstatement.

I love it.
The local paper here skews all po-lice shootings as if the cops did somthing wrong by protecting themselves and popping these fucking criminals.

Anyone notice it always a "Reverend" doing most of the bitching?

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I live in Louisville and all of this is bullshit.  The Courier Journal is a grandstand soapbox for the liberals around here.  McKenzie Mattingly (the guy who shot the black teen) was doing his job. Period.  And then you have a guy known as Christopher 2X (who thinks he is the second coming of Malcolm X, hence the 2X) who tries to bring race into the issue.  I don't think so!

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Its a crying shame they havent had the chance to shot more bad guys! Damn, let them do their job. I bet they wouldnt bitch if one of those perps were going to use that axe or knife on them. Then they would be screaming, "WHY DIDNT YOU SHOOT THEM?"
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm in Louisville too, these were all good shoots. Louis Coleman is the biggest race baiter in the state. Due to a sealed court order he can't even live in Jefferson County. Something about a youth center and some inapropriate behavour. Scum of the earth.

Bob
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Fuck with the bull, get the horns.

Yup.

Someone once said "the Police aren't always right, but they are predictable".

If someone threaten to use deadly force against a police officer, and have the means to do so, the police will react by using deadly force against that person.

Maybe the solution is to convince people that attacking the police is a bad choice.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#20]
as long as a civilian who shot them in the same circumstances wouldn't be charge I don't have much of a problem
the perps were armed afterall
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Mom called the cops,  cool.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Some of those asswipes will not be satisfied (thus will no longer get media attention) until cops no longer have any weapons or there are no cops left!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I have no problem with either shooting.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#24]
what a bag of crap.  let the police do their jobs -  more typical grandstanding by liberals masquerading as "Reverend this" or "Doctor that".  

could be a couple of cases of "suicide by cops" - happens every so often.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#25]
It's certainly not a Louisville PD problem, it's simply a crime problem. Take a look at the crime rates in Louisville over the past few years and you'll understand why so many officer involved shootings are taking place. I forget how many murders they've had in that city the past few years, but it's a pretty high number. Thanks to a bunch of young punks, Louisville is quickly becoming a shithole. These officers are trying to keep this from happening. So I have no issues if they need to make a justified shoot. The perps should have had more brains that to attempt "gettin bad" with the cops with knives and axes! Morons!

-CH
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck with the bull, get the horns.

Yup.

Someone once said "the Police aren't always right, but they are predictable".

If someone threaten to use deadly force against a police officer, and have the means to do so, the police will react by using deadly force against that person.

Maybe the solution is to convince people that attacking the police is a bad choice.

You'd think the criminals would've learned that by now!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#27]
This is a crime problem, not a police problem.  A great example of this is the track record of Neifert, the 41 year-old shot by police and pronounced dead on the scene.  Here is a clip from the last lines of the Courier Journal's article........

Neifert was pronounced dead at the scene.

He had been released from Luther Luckett Correctional Complex in December 2003 after serving a 20-year sentence on a Fayette County conviction for rape and kidnapping, said Lisa Lamb, a spokeswoman for the state corrections department.

I think a record such as this speaks for itself.  My only regret is that this man was out of prison where he could damage more lives.  Good riddance!

Thanks
Kristin
(better half of J-Fonz)
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Coleman is a joke. The man should not be taken seriously and yet the newspapers and tv here give him airtime and newspaper space. It is ridiculous.  An extortionist is all he is. He does not even reside in the area among the people he "represents". Every shooting he has protested has been investigated and has been found to be a justifiable use of deadly force. He is unwilling to accept the fact that the people who were shot brought it on themselves and the tv and newspapers eat that shit up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Oh no, please don't shoot anyone weilding a knife or an axe.    

If not them, then who the hell are they ALLOWED to shoot?  

White people.

Duh.

If cops can't shoot violent white felons, then they may as well start wearing tutus and handing out lollypops, because they sure as hell can't do much about crime.

This should go to show the police something:

All those f*cktards whining about how only cops should have guns don't really want cops to have guns either. They will take ours, and then they will take THEIRS.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

So?    Probably should have been 12.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So?    Probably should have been 12.

Indeed. The headline makes it seem like some idiot was riding around in his patrol car playing with his weapon and shot two people in the same shift.

What the headline SHOULD be is "Moron challenges cops with weapon, then 9 hours later another moron wants to repeat the experiment...."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top