Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2004 3:42:29 PM EDT

K-State Clears Roberson of Criminal Wrongdoing
Star Quarterback Eligible to Play in Fiesta Bowl
By STEVE BRISENDINE, AP SPORTS

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (Jan. 2) -- Kansas State star Ell Roberson was cleared to play Friday in the Fiesta Bowl, the day after a woman accused the Wildcats' quarterback of sexual assault.

Whether Roberson played in Friday night's game against Ohio State was to be a game-time decision by coach Bill Snyder, athletic director Tim Weiser said in a statement.

"A through review of allegations against senior quarterback Ell Roberson has led the university to conclude that no criminal act occurred," Weiser said.

On Thursday, Weiser had criticized police for releasing Roberson's name, even though no charged have been filed.

The Maricopa County attorney will decide whether Roberson will face criminal charges; the woman told police the assault occurred at the team hotel between 3AM and 3:30AM MT on Thursday.

Roberson was taken to Paradise Valley, Ariz., police headquarters for questioning. He told police the sex with the woman was consensual, police Lt. Ron Warner said.

Medical tests were conducted but results aren't expected until early next week. A report will be sent to the county attorney to determine if a crime had been committed.

Neither the woman nor Roberson were staying in the room where the incident was said to have occurred at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort, Warner said.

The hotel's security staff called police at 4:30AM. The players had an 11PM curfew Wednesday.

Weiser said Thursday it was unclear whether a curfew violation had occurred. On Friday, his statement did not address the issue.

01-02-04 16:47 EST

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

Aint nothing more important than a bowl game right?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, to be fair here, he hasn't been CHARGED with a crime yet, and may not be.  Should someone be punished for an unsubstantiated accusation?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Innocent until proven guilty, except in cases pertaining to Michael Jackson.

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Silly me, I always thought most football teams have a curfew for bowl trips?

What the hell was she doing in his room at 3am, she's thinking they're just going to "talk"?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Guilty until proven innocent!
The news media wants it both ways.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#5]
K-state supposedly had a team curfew for 11pm.

But it doesn't apparently apply to NFL bound starters in a Bowl Game.

Its probably why he isn't sitting in jail like any of us would be.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#6]
He broke curfew.  He's admitted to that.  If he plays, that means the curfew rule means nothing to a first-string player.  Yeah, they need him to win, but what does playing him tell your other players or the program or the school?  
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#7]
With college ball it's all about the $$.

Winning Bowl games brings in more $$.

Follow the $$.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
He broke curfew.  He's admitted to that.  If he plays, that means the curfew rule means nothing to a first-string player.  Yeah, they need him to win, but what does playing him tell your other players or the program or the school?  
View Quote

Ask Bobby Bowden.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Jesus, I wasted my SIX THOUSANDTH POST on this thread?  Damn.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I am originally from Kansas. I am a Jayhawk but I have a lot of friends from K-State. Here is the word on the "rape".

The girl is an ex-girlfriend that has been stalking him. The authorities did an investigation and found no physical evidence of rape.

I agree on the issue of the curfue violation.

I have watched Bill Snyder for a lot of years. It has been tough being a Jayhawk and getting our **sses kicked every year in football by K-state. My perception of Bill Snyder is that he is a pretty stand up guy. If he thought that Ell Roberson had comitted rape, I don't think he would be playing.

Rusty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top