Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2016 3:21:06 PM EDT
Does anyone know where I can find or does anyone have any plans for building the obstacles, jumps, A-frames, etc. for a K9 agility/obstacle course?

Google was not my friend on this one.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Our K9 course is pretty dated, and I'm not sure it would actually help you set up a current course. Currently our local dog club (helps to be the President of the club) has given a key to our local PD, so they can use our agility equipment....indoors. This allows them to build the course as they see fit. I'm not sure if you have the option of finding a local dog club that will allow you to do this? I know that this isn't outdoors,  where multiple scents (beyond other dogs), people, etc. serve as distractions...but it's great here in FL during the summer where the heat, humidity and heat index are in the triple digits.
If you want, I can shoot pics of our departments course, and post em up.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#2]
OP,

You might try contacting the US Police K9 Association.

I was a member, years ago, and they seemed to pretty much set the standards for training and certifications.

Things may have changed since I was a handler, but the USPKA might be a place to start.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 6:47:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Our K9 course is pretty dated, and I'm not sure it would actually help you set up a current course. Currently our local dog club (helps to be the President of the club) has given a key to our local PD, so they can use our agility equipment....indoors. This allows them to build the course as they see fit. I'm not sure if you have the option of finding a local dog club that will allow you to do this? I know that this isn't outdoors,  where multiple scents (beyond other dogs), people, etc. serve as distractions...but it's great here in FL during the summer where the heat, humidity and heat index are in the triple digits.
If you want, I can shoot pics of our departments course, and post em up.
View Quote

This is what I would try. We are also fortunate to have a large military base with a working dog program local to us. They have been awesome and have an open door policy for us. That may be an option as well?
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Go look at any K9 trial agility course. You don't just want one that is simple. You want one that can be portable too.

Make windows, doors, use runoff tubes, create fake walls, find some old 55 gal drums for the triangle style barrier, and so on.

See how this one is easily portable?

And if you deploy out windows, this is an interesting one-

And this is a good style for control through the entry and not a straight through jump

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input, gentlemen. I train at an AFB about an hour and a half from home. Their course is different than what we use for certifications with the state police. It's three hours from home and we have to run it twice a year.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#6]
As requested..a few pics from our "K9 Compound".

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#8]
LE course for our department....I am retired now (Fire Dept - USAR Team - SWAT medic). I've been training K9's for over 25 years...and as of Wednesday...just resigned as the President of the dog club.
We just sold our house, and moving from FL, back to OH in order to take care of our parents.

One of the agility courses being set up at the club...which is great in the summer. We give the local LE a key to the club so they can use the equipment and train indoors.

</a>" />
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top