[#3]
You won't be disappointed.

Great gun.

Link Posted: 9/5/2011 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

details man details......

Whatchoo want?

I ordered it from K-Var.com. Ordered a couple of OD Green Bulgarian mags to go with it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice, great gun!
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd like to get one to match my SGL31-44.

Nice AK.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Good buy.

I love mine.

Do you have the optics rail for it?

Link Posted: 9/5/2011 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope you enjoy your purchase!
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I hope you enjoy your purchase!

Oh I think I'll be enjoying this particular rifle for the next 50 years or so...

Link Posted: 9/5/2011 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Wise choice.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#11]
An Arsenal SLR-95 was the first gun I ever bought.

My brother pawned it for me when I was off at school. By pawned it for me I mean he needed beer and smoke money and used my gun for it.

It was the best AK I've ever owned,even better than the Robarms VEPR and converted Saigas I've had since but I just can't get another Bulgarian "just because",it'd never be the same. You're gonna enjoy the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You won't be disappointed.

Great gun.

Link Posted: 9/5/2011 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
An Arsenal SLR-95 was the first gun I ever bought.

My brother pawned it for me when I was off at school. By pawned it for me I mean he needed beer and smoke money and used my gun for it.

It was the best AK I've ever owned,even better than the Robarms VEPR and converted Saigas I've had since but I just can't get another Bulgarian "just because",it'd never be the same. You're gonna enjoy the hell out of it.

i hope you beat your brothers ass.  and then made him buy you another one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm now in possession of my first AK! The fit and finish are amazing. I do have one issue with it though...the safety lever is extremely difficult to move from safe to fire. It's like the dimple is really deep and it takes a ton of force to get it to release. Anybody have this issue or know a quick fix?
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Somewhat normal for a new SGL - just use it and it will loosen up some.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Somewhat normal for a new SGL - just use it and it will loosen up some.

Good to hear. Thanks for the info.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:50:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
http://www.bigskyguns.com/img-sgl21-63.jpg

OD Green furniture...I'm so excited!

How much did you get it for?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:59:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Great looking rifle! havn't seen a green one yet, GO GREEN!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:14:23 AM EDT
[#20]
What do you get with an $800 AK that you don't get with a $400 AK?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm now in possession of my first AK! The fit and finish are amazing. I do have one issue with it though...the safety lever is extremely difficult to move from safe to fire. It's like the dimple is really deep and it takes a ton of force to get it to release. Anybody have this issue or know a quick fix?

Bend the safety lever out a bit
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:40:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:43:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it is a serious question, one I would like to know myself. I have no idea how to determine what to look for and what to avoid when buying one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:44:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have an answer?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have an answer?

A better AK?

ETA: Pick up a WASR and an Arsenal and look at them side by side. It's a much nicer rifle, parts fit better, finish is better, more accurate. for some people that's worth the extra $400.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:21:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This is a legitimate question that deserves a legitimate answer. I have never got another Arsenal but do have a Robarms converted VEPR in 7.62X39 and a Saiga in 5.56  I've done myself and the Bulgarian gun was the best made of the lot: I really don't think you can get an AK with better fit and finish. How much is that worth to you,I really don't know. "SHTF" and that sort of stuff doesn't really come into play when I buy firearms or shoot them,they're a hobby and I think shooting is fun: all of them have been equally reliable so I would say that functionally,a decent running AK is a decent running AK. On the bottom end of the scale,I have a Century SAR-2 in 5.45. It's by far the most accurate and most fun to shoot of my AKs and cost all of $300. I haven't seen one in a gun shop in a while so I don't know what it would cost to replace,probably another $100-150 perhaps.

Point being,the same question can be asked of what does an HK pistol do that an M&P doesn't or what does a "Tier 1" AR do that a DPMS doesn't and the true answer for the great majority of us is "nothing really". When it comes to the AK's,the quality of the milled receiver and fit and finish is leaps and bounds better than a run of the mill WASR and the extra $ ensures you don't have issues like a canted front sight etc. If you just want an AK to look like an AK or maybe you want to throw it down the driveway to get that battlefield look then there really isn't a need to spend a heap on one. However,if you do pick up an Arsenal made gun,it's pretty obvious that a whole bunch more time and effort went into making that gun. It's been forever since I've been up on them so I don't know if they still have Steyr made barrels? The originals did and at ~$250 were one hell of a bargain in the mid-90's.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:27:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Sweet!!  SGL 21 is on my short list of buys   I plan on swapping to wood furniture though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:30:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have an answer?

A better AK?

ETA: Pick up a WASR and an Arsenal and look at them side by side. It's a much nicer rifle, parts fit better, finish is better, more accurate. for some people that's worth the extra $400.

I'll expand on that- from front to back-

Non-canted front sight post.
A real finish on the barrel and other exterior parts.
Better rivet work.
High quality furniture, not cheapo plastic or unfinished wood.
Aligned gas block.
Properly installed rear sight.
An actual double stack, dimpled AK receiver.
Quality US FCG.
Aligned scope rail.

Did I miss anything?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:25:18 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Did I miss anything?

Resale value

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have an answer?

A better AK?

I'll expand on that- from front to back-

Non-canted front sight post.
A real finish on the barrel and other exterior parts.
Better rivet work.
High quality furniture, not cheapo plastic or unfinished wood.
Aligned gas block.
Properly installed rear sight.
An actual double stack, dimpled AK receiver.
Quality US FCG.
Aligned scope rail.

Did I miss anything?

So I take it Arsenal un-fucked the HUGE quality control issues they were having, ones that included JUST ABOUT everything you listed?
I was an AK owner when that went down, I remember the resulting shitstorm.

I went from AK's to AR's, myself. I'm no expert, but I know enough to be annoying.

All things being equal, I would take a $350.00-$400.00 Romainian WASR that I personally inspected over a much more expensive
AK any day of the week. An Arsenal or whatever high-dollar AK is no more reliable, or accurate, than a WASR costing half as much.
If a pretty finish, plastic furniture and a dimpled receiver makes you happy, fine. But DON't tell me it is more reliable, or more accurate.

They are AK's, folks, NOT repeat NOT AR's.

I myself would buy a Henderson Defence "guaranteed" AK for $425.00(ballpark for a stamped receiver) and not look back.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top