Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2002 6:18:39 PM EDT
Here we are, Thursday May16th, and the government continues down its path to regulate airport security, thus it is inevitable we will see another big bureaucracy to oversee the other big government entities. Now here is the point, before Sept. 11 how many of you brought a leatherman, a box opener, or a small pocket knife on board with you an airplane with you?

Many listeners (On a local talk radio show) reported that they all were allowed to bring these items on the airplane before Sept. 11th. If this is true, it seems apparent that it was not the past security that failed, but rather the security policy implemented by the airport and the FAA. Maybe I’m wrong, but if it was a-ok to bring such items on a plane, than why are so many people including the media so shocked that box-cutters were allowed on the flights?? And now the liberal media has us all primed to create another huge bureaucracy to regulate what, where, and how people go about their daily lives. Why do we need to keep creating new government policy, when the private sector regulated by the Federal Government drops the proverbial ball? It appears the liberal legalese sure like to create new government policy when people are at their weakest, thus their animus seems overtly apparent.

Between the media and the liberal left their agenda does not capitulate to patriotism, instead their docket seems poised for larger bureaucracy, and political slander. Yet on the Eve of this May 16th, the media is poised to attack the President once again on his supposed advance knowledge of the Suicidal Idiots lead by Osama Big Idiot and their overtaking the flights of Sept. 11th.  

This system of imputing someone has to stop. Sorry to gripe, but the media and the liberals are really pissing me off when they sick their dogs on the President of this great Nation. Maybe my ramblings will cause some liberal watchdog group to create another tax wasting bureaucracy, thus excuse me Mr. Liberal but go disembowel another country, and Leave this great Nation alone.

Rottie out.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The fears of the few outway the security of the many.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I never had a problem with a leatherman or a folding pocket knife until maybe a year or 18 months prior to 9/11.  After that it was "check it or lose it."

I don't know what kind of box cutters they had, but it wouldn't be hard to get the blades on board, and I've seen many boxcutters that were plastic.  Nobody'd know.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#3]
They ought to issue bayonets to all passengers.

I would feel much safer!

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Naaaaa....they need an AR and 3 30 rounders in a case at the front of the plane with sign "Break glass and kick ass in case of emergency"
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
What, you don't know? Bush had advance knowledge & let it happen so he could jack up oil prices, his family has financial ties to the Bahrainis you know, blab, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,................

I'm so sick of these loser lefties & the media scandal hounds I can't even watch the news anymore. They are just trolling for an issue. Do you have to be born stupid to be a democrat, or do you have to work at being a mindless jackass?
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What, you don't know? Bush had advance knowledge & let it happen so he could jack up oil prices, his family has financial ties to the Bahrainis you know, blab, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,................

I'm so sick of these loser lefties & the media scandal hounds I can't even watch the news anymore. They are just trolling for an issue. Do you have to be born stupid to be a democrat, or do you have to work at being a mindless jackass?
View Quote

Don't be too quick to excuse anyone on either side of the political isle. The executive & legislative were both apparently made aware of the potential. This is not a liberal vs. conservative problem, but rather a real breakdown/failure of appointed gov't insitutions to actually [u]do their duty[/i]. S/P 9/11, the agencies responsible for national security want a raise & more authority to handle a task that they should already been capable of performing. The problem of ineptitude is only compounded by the increasing proliferation of worthless excuses & promises to do a better job the next time around.

Symptomatic of modern governmental agencies, heads never roll, regardless of culpability. This type of failure at the private sector would typically result in firings (Except, of course, if you're a CEO, where resignation + bonus is standard fare in the worst case). I see the FBI getting carte blanche to "overhaul" itself (again?); legislators perform their ranting criticisms for the camera, while the band continues to play the same tune at the DOJ. SOF mag. regularly chronicles the cultural & beureaucratic problems of fed. agencies - ATF, CIA, FBI, etc. & most of the time, it seems like a particular agency's culture is its greatest hindrance.

The same [img]http://webpages.charter.net/jeff.hoeft/pics/BS1.gif[/img]
View Quote
is sure to get thrown our way. The only thing gov't does well is tax, spend & make excuses to do more of both.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Just having to Vent..
View Quote

If you want to vent about liberals, you came to the right place.

TheHappyBlaster has it dead-on.  The media is just trolling.  I've read Usenet for almost 15 years, and I've seen my share of trolls.  From the alt.troll FAQ in response to the question of what is a troll:

[i]Usenet trolling is the act of posting an article, or "troll" (baited hook) in a Usenet newsgroup (the water) with the intention of attracting the native inhabitants (groupers) and provoking an emotional response (caught!).[/i]

That sounds exactly like what the media is doing.  I don't have a TV so I only watch the sporadically.  Tonight I flipped through a few  channels and saw some of the flack Bush was getting about this story.  There weren't any facts.  It was all emotional comments that seem crafted to get an emotional response from the less intelligent viewers.z
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't see it as just a liberal problem. After all, the Republicans, lead by Dubya, seem to think that this nonsense is ok, while discouraging the best solution: armed pilots.

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife was working for an airline and it was policy that if the blade was smaller than their ID badge it was fine. The box cutters would most likely not have been stopped even if they were looking.
Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top