Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2007 7:27:17 PM EDT
So me and my three year old shooter were out at a nearby sand pit shooting the 22lr conversion and as the sun sets we finish, pick up our stuff and head home taking the long slow road that is basically a levee road for the mighty Gila River. As soon as I get on the road from the pit I notice a set of headlights behind me and pretty quickly realize that it is a marked Border Patrol unit.

I learned a long time ago that when they begin following you it is not a good idea to stop, jump out and ask them what the fuck do they want, especially when within throwing distance of the international boundary. M4's being racked takes the fun out of such things. Anyway, back to today.

The area is right around 25 miles north of the international line. I gave him a few opportunities to pass by going slow in areas where the road was wide enough but his failure to do so indicated his intention. Having been thru this two times before I knew he had already called ahead and another unit will be waiting somewhere ahead to 1. Back him up and 2. give him a better look inside the cab of my truck when I pass the second unit. Well, three miles later at speed of 10 mph I see the other unit waiting, and shortly after going by (i waved at the waiting unit) he lights up his lights and pulls me over. Conversation went something like this:

Him: Hi Sir.

Me: Ola.

Him: Ummm, just taking the side roads tonight?

Me: Me and the kid (points toward son) were just shooting at the pit right before you came around the corner, and were headed home now.

Him: Oh, ummmm, ok. We sometimes get not so nice people coming through here (eyes my tattoos).

Me: This far out?

Him: Yep. . . . Well, ok, you two have nice night.

Me: Ok, see ya next time.

No license, registration check (he may have run it while following). No warrant check, no questons regarding nationality...

Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like they didn't have anything better to do.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Fishing for some one to bust?
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#3]
FISHING EXPEDITION!!!

Am I the first one?  
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Should have told him you were out there to meet his mom and work on that baby brother he always wanted.

Cops really appreciate that kind of forethought and compassion.

Sometimes they'll even give you a ride, out of sheer appreciation.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, been there, done that.

I've been pulled over while coming home from dove hunting on some of the roads adjacent to the border patrol check points.  I'm sure they have lots of folks trying to get around their check points.  After they see you are not an apparent threat they just let you go on.  No ID checks, no nothing.  They just want to make sure you don't have a load of Juardanos or dope.

357mag
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#6]
if it was me and considering you were on the frontline on the war on drugs, your ass would've been spread eagle on the ground kissing gila monster sheeyat while the whole fiasco got straightened out
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#7]
AZK9, I always thought you were LEO
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
if it was me and considering you were on the frontline on the war on drugs, your ass would've been spread eagle on the ground kissing gila monster sheeyat while the whole fiasco got straightened out

Even after I politely explained that I was really your father, and not the man that raised you?
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you hispanic?

just curious.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been pulled over and checked by BP lots of times in AZ and CA while down there looking for snakes.  Had em roll into camp lots of times too.  No big deal, all of them were very friendly and were just out there doing what they are supposed to be doing.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I think they did a good job, and since AZk9 knew what was happening, it's happened before, and will hopefully happen again (not only to him] With any luck, the next stop will be some illegals.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1 on the thought you were an LEO.

I am an LEO in rural Georgia, and even officers in adjacent counties know who I am. We all know each other around here. That goes for EMS and Fire Departments too. If I get pulled over, its either by a State Trooper on the Interstate or a fellow officer that trying to razz me about something.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

He is.

I guess he was just saving the badge in case it progressed any further.  Makes sense.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have been pulled over and checked by BP lots of times in AZ and CA while down there looking for snakes.  Had em roll into camp lots of times too.  No big deal, all of them were very friendly and were just out there doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Sometimes you just get this strange gut feeling, Sometimes it pans out others it dont....Sounds like he was nice enough....Also he could have been working on a tip of a vehicle like your's. I do that all the time and sometimes it's turns out to be the wrong person and i also dont run status or QW......
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1 on the thought you were an LEO.

I am an LEO in rural Georgia, and even officers in adjacent counties know who I am. We all know each other around here. That goes for EMS and Fire Departments too. If I get pulled over, its either by a State Trooper on the Interstate or a fellow officer that trying to razz me about something.

Tagariffic.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sometimes you just get this strange gut feeling, Sometimes it pans out others it dont....Sounds like he was nice enough....Also he could have been working on a tip of a vehicle like your's. I do that all the time and sometimes it's turns out to be the wrong person and i also dont run status or QW......

Also, when I am out there, it is often in places that are pretty remote.  The majority of traffic out there is going to be border jumpers and border patrol.  I wouldn't expect them to not be suspicious.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#19]
If you are within 100 miles of a border nexus, he doesn't have to have probable cause or reasonable suspicion--nothing, He can pull you over because he feels like it.

Learned that in my customs cross designation class.

pato
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Im glad to see that the BP is gainfully employeed...

Now lets get them some more manpower.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Interesting to see how a LEO deals with the situation.

Also gratifying to learn that nobody shot the drug sniffing dog that had to be there somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#22]

If you are within 100 miles of a border nexus, he doesn't have to have probable cause or reasonable suspicion--nothing, He can pull you over because he feels like it.

Are you also saying they can search vehicles and persons beyond plain view w/o PC/RS if w/in the 100mi nexus?
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
So me and my three year old shooter were out at a nearby sand pit shooting the 22lr conversion and as the sun sets we finish, pick up our stuff and head home taking the long slow road that is basically a levee road for the mighty Gila River. As soon as I get on the road from the pit I notice a set of headlights behind me and pretty quickly realize that it is a marked Border Patrol unit.

I learned a long time ago that when they begin following you it is not a good idea to stop, jump out and ask them what the fuck do they want, especially when within throwing distance of the international boundary. M4's being racked takes the fun out of such things. Anyway, back to today.

The area is right around 25 miles north of the international line. I gave him a few opportunities to pass by going slow in areas where the road was wide enough but his failure to do so indicated his intention. Having been thru this two times before I knew he had already called ahead and another unit will be waiting somewhere ahead to 1. Back him up and 2. give him a better look inside the cab of my truck when I pass the second unit. Well, three miles later at speed of 10 mph I see the other unit waiting, and shortly after going by (i waved at the waiting unit) he lights up his lights and pulls me over. Conversation went something like this:

Me: Me and the kid (points toward son) were just shooting at the pit right before you came around the corner, and were headed home now.

Him: Oh, ummmm, ok. We sometimes get not so nice people coming through here (eyes my tattoos).

No license, registration check (he may have run it while following). No warrant check, no questons regarding nationality...

hahaha, you got profiled!

I got pulled over on the indian reservation near Roosevelt utah about ten years ago.  I was in my trooper and going EXACTLY the speed limit.  I know I was going exactly the limit was because the trooper was gutless and there was a huge headwind and I could not go a mph faster.

So I get pulled over and he asks "do you know why I pulled you over?"

I said "honestly, i don't have a clue"

he just laughed and said "Anyone in these parts driving the exact speed limit with tinted windows is guys from the res carrying illegal stuff.  You're obviously not from the res and I'm guessing your truck's not full of pot."

he pulled me over for going the speed limit and let me go for being a white kid.  It was bizarre. (he was an Indian as well)
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Are you also saying they can search vehicles and persons beyond plain view w/o PC/RS if w/in the 100mi nexus?

Tag for an answer on THAT one...
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#25]
TAGING !

BTW: Thanks for the Fuel tip, i filled up next to the Wendys.

Also south of the boader on the Cail side there were big black smoke fires.  Any idea what they were?
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:38:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Last time I got pulled over the damn JBT got on me for not calling him about the last ARFCOM shoot.  

I said, "Dang, I didn't even know I was going until late, and I wasn't calling you at 11 pm."

He said, "You have all of my phone numbers... for that you can call any of them any time."

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:45:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Does BP shoot dogs?

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:55:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Does BP shoot dogs?

Only Coyotes.    Both kinds.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 5:24:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

He is.

I've got a buddy that is an LEO of  33yrs. He loves when he gets pulled over and has the chance to fvck with the cops when they try to bullshit him about why they pulled him over or what is/isn't legal.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 5:37:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Does BP shoot dogs?

Obviously not, or the OP's new screenname would be AZ-K9.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 5:55:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I am guessing you got pulled over for going 10 MPH.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Not sure if they can or not.  But in my experience they can tell whether you are smuggling illegals or on your way to immediately.  They don't even ask your name much less search anything.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

pato

Actually, reasonable suspicion of illegal alienage is needed for a vehicle stop. The Title 19 (Customs authority) stuff would only apply if there was a direct nexus (as in just illegally drove across) with the border and there was constant observation (AZ-K9 was 25 miles north of the border) and no opportunity for any "material change" (as in not loading or unloading anything since crossing).
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

apperantly they were making sure you weren't a mule.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:57:34 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
TAGING !

Also south of the boader on the Cail side there were big black smoke fires.  Any idea what they were?

Agricultural burns.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:59:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Bitch bitch bitch
They're the fucking Border Patrol.
They were on the border, patroling - what do you want them to do
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:05:44 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bitch bitch bitch
They're the fucking Border Patrol.
They were on the border, patroling - what do you want them to do

You have been around GD long enough to know that common sense has no place here.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:10:02 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TAGING !

Agricultural burns.

Seeds & Stems?

*Yuk yuk yuk*
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#39]
What...  No F.O.P. emblem on the license plate ?

Works wonders in these parts.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
What...  No F.O.P. emblem on the license plate ?

Works wonders in these parts.

Woooooooah! Tread very lightly with the FOP bullshit. I never joined and never will.

You do realize the FOP is a huge player in the gun grab campaign, right?
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:49:59 AM EDT
[#41]
You shoulda screamed ARRIBA! ARRIBA! and punched it.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TAGING !

Agricultural burns.

Quoted:

Quoted:

pato

Actually, reasonable suspicion of illegal alienage is needed for a vehicle stop. The Title 19 (Customs authority) stuff would only apply if there was a direct nexus (as in just illegally drove across) with the border and there was constant observation (AZ-K9 was 25 miles north of the border) and no opportunity for any "material change" (as in not loading or unloading anything since crossing).

This was my impression, but I was stopped anyway. [shrug]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top