Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2001 6:17:50 AM EDT
Hey, my infantry company in the NG just got called to active duty.  Just got back from OSUT Sept 28 and was hoping to start college in the winter, but that's out the window now.  We are goin to Germany which is fine with me, but supposedly will be there for 240 days (8 months) which I think SUCKS!  Beginning to wonder if i will ever be able to spend a summer at home.

Anyways, anybody got any tips for Germany?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:18:47 AM EDT
[#1]
My brother was born in Weisbaden, have fun!!!  Hey can you pick me up a cool german beer stein while you're there man?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:19:38 AM EDT
[#2]
And don't forget to take the train from Munich to Salzburg, what a trip!
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:20:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Josh,
Good luck on your assignment.  And, thank you.

Unfortunately, I don't have any tips for Germany.  Sorry...
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey Josh:  Best wishes and good luck with your federalization.  Germany is a great place to visit - definitely try and get around and so sight-seeing and touristy stuff as you can

Oh and can you say - DRINK BIER! ?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Good Luck =)

I remember when I was activated for the Gulf War.  It screwed up Turkey day and then we actually left Camp Lejeune for Saudi on Dec. 25th

USMC = U Suckas Missed Christmas

Heh

USMC_LB
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Stay safe bro! Best wishes going with you!

Tyler
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#7]
My Bro lives in Weisbaden (works for the Corps of Engineers).  I will visit him in March.

Anyway, The first time I went to Germany in March 2000 it was a great place to visit.  If you can get to Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber (South of Frankfurt a couple of hours).  It is Europe's best preserved walled Medevel city.  It is very cool.  When you get there find the hunting shop.  It has some very fine Eurpopean hunting arms and a few pistols.  Very nice silver and gold inlaid engraving.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#8]
In addition to Rothenburg, you must ski in Garmisch, and pop over to Ludwig's castle.
You must, repeat must, drink at the Hoffbrau in Munich.
Berlin is also cool.
Pick up a few words in German (enough to show you care, the locals all know english better than you know german), and don't stay in the barracks. Get out any chance you get.
I like Roman history, so Trier was great for me, but you might like Nuremburg better, or France....
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#9]
It would be really sweet if you could bring back some cool HKs, but the ATF and Customs would have a cow.

Just try not to piss anyone off and have a good time.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Rothenburg, Hoffbrau Haus, Garmisch - all gotta does.
Also, get a VW rental from post and go tear it up on the Autobahn! [:D]

*edited - can spell
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Say "Hi" to Helga Kurtz for me, ok?

God be with ye.

ARSwami
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#12]
What division are you part of?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#13]
My company is 2/130, Bravo Co. located in Effingham, IL.

Thanks for the tips and keep em comin.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't get to serious with the girls, I dated a German girl 20 years ago and she is still with me[BD]. Really, have fun lots to see, and the Bier is great.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I was at Eschborn (outside Frankfurt) for a year.  I always tease my wife that the first thing the guys taught me was "fraulein, kommen zie hier bitte!"  (sp?)  What little German I acquired is [b]very[/b] rusty!  For the record, there is no such thing as a bad gasthaus.  I never had any bad German food.  They sure know how to eat.  There's some good beer as well!

Good luck and have fun! [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top