Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2001 9:53:43 PM EDT
...it's a great place.  I'll be packing my things and moving up there within the next couple of weeks.  Finally, I'll be out of the Bay Area.  

Any recommendations for a new Boise resident?

-kill-9
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a machine gun. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats! If I was forced to live out West I'd move to Idaho. Sure beats California.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I visited Boise a few months ago.  It reminded me of southern kalifornia.....deserts, truckstops, fruit stands and mexicans.

Link Posted: 12/7/2001 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If you like history, be sure and visit the old prison on the east side of town.  Closed in 1973, now a museum, and you won't believe how barbaric this place was.  Egyptian Theatre (downtown) is a fun place to catch a movie in a real art deco type theatre.
Great trout fishing within the city limits (canals and rivers), some good browns in there!
Best sporting goods store I've ever been seen in my entire life on the main highway from Boise going into Nampa / Meridian, sorry, can't remember the name. Walls full of all types of firearms HUGE selection. Very courteous people to deal with too.
Really good gun shows @ the fairgrounds!
Thouroughbred horse racing @ Les Boise, also @ the fairgrounds.
Downtown lots of fun for food and drink!
Beautiful city parks with lots of great scenery (get it?).
Now I would like to ask a favor of you.  Please add my email addy to your address book, and contact me when you get settled.  I'm considering moving up there too, but will need some info from a resident.  Stay in touch, and best of luck.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Done bj.  I'll e-mail you after my DSL is up and stable, sometime after the 15th.

btw, was that sporting goods store called Sportsman's Warehouse?  In the 2 days I was in town, I visited there 4 times.  After the first I was hooked.  They even have 3 different Bushmasters, and the guy behind the counter gave me one of the $2 Bushmaster catalogs.  :)

-kill-9
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They even have 3 different Bushmasters, and the guy behind the counter gave me one of the $2 Bushmaster catalogs.  :)
-kill-9
View Quote

Those folks just put $2 for conversational purposes, you can get one free for the asking by calling them on their 800 number.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife and I just moved up here to Boise from Los Angeles. We should have done this years ago. One reccomendation, if you want a house but aren't worried about acreage, live on the east side of town. If you live north, or west of town, you're going to hitting traffic. From the east side of town, I can drive 75-85 mph on the freeway.

Welcome!

Chris
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#8]
kill-9, once you get moved up here get those california plates of your rig PRONTO!!

And SHHHHH! Don't tell to many people our secret of how nice idaho is.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, my move is complete.  I'm living on the short NW side of town. I should have Qwest DSL after the first of the year.  So where should I go shooting?  What are the rules for shooting in the Boise Nat'l Forest?

-kill-9
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#10]
kill-9,

Welcome to the area, and the free state of Idaho. I'm a couple of hours out of Boise in Council, on Hwy 95.

Besides Sportsman Warehouse check out Intermountain Outdoor Sports.  There's one store past SW out in Meridian, and another on Vista on the east side of Boise. There are also a number of small but good gunshops in town.  Check the phone book for them & the locations of the local gun ranges, there's quite a few outside of Boise and to Parma. While I'm buried in snow the ranges down there might still be accessible.

Regardinf shooting on National Forests you can't shoot in developed campground and within a certain distance.  Check with the Boise NF, the supervisor's office is in town & in the phone book.

Ditto the suggestion you get rid of the Kali plates ASAP.

Regards,

Talyn

Link Posted: 12/16/2001 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I got my Idaho driver's license today, removed the California plates, and applied for my CCW (which I should have within 45 days).  And the lady at the Ada county sheriff's department was very cheerful in telling me how I can openly carry and carry a loaded rifle and/or shotgun in my vehicle.

Life away from Kali is good.  [bounce]

-kill-9
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I was in Boise on business for two weeks earlier this year.

My company put me up in a hotel close to the airport in south Boise and I made the commute to Nampa each day for business.  I don't remember any street names, but there's a relatively new shopping/entertainment complex a couple miles west of the airport on the 84 just before the freeway interchange that takes you to north Boise.

I strongly recommend a burger joint just northeast of this complex. Don't remember the street name, but the place is called SPUD'S and they make some pretty damn good burgers and shakes.  Check 'em out.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#14]
 Intermountain Arms is on Fairview in Meridian.  Boise is getting more and more like kalifornia, too many of 'em hate it and move to Idaho(or the like), then when they find out it's not like home, they use their voting block and MAKE it just like kalifornia.  Shoulda seen Boise in 1980.  Very nice place to be back then....
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm jealous!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top