Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2016 12:16:44 PM EDT

I spend my life doing everything I can to stay the fuck out of places like this, but the state has sent me a nice invitation to come down and join them for some festivities.

Fuck.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#1]

If you don't want to go back, drink a half pint of whisky in the parking lot.  Go see the judge after and tell him you have no integrity, since you're a raging alcoholic.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
26Th & Cal sucks, and has for years.

Spent more than a few hours there when I was in LE.

I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
You should get combat or hazard pay for having jury duty in Chicago
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I loved jury duty.

For the first 3 days I watched Breaking Bad and surfed ar15.com, then I had a civil trial and was foreman. That finished Thursday and the judge released us from duty on Friday after ordering we were paid for Friday duty. It was great.

It also helped that my company at the time had paid leave for jury duty that didn't count against personal/sick/vacation time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Having tried cases to a jury before,  I'd LOVE to serve on a jury.  But I wonder what will happen one day when I am called up, the attorneys ask my profession, and I say "former courtroom lawyer."  I have a feeling that before either side can move to exclude me, the judge will pre-emptively say, "Thank you Mr. Spartacus, you are excused. Have a nice day."
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think the OP is concerned about having jury duty as much as the trial being held in Aleppo.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I had jury duty selection on my birthday 2 years ago. They wished me happy b-day in the courtroom. Guess who they picked as juror #1?

It wasn't too bad though, the trial was over by 7pm.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah well, if you ever wondered why fucked up shit keeps coming out of jury trials, it's because right thinking people aren't as right thinking as you;d like them to be.  

That is to say, they ditch jury duty and leave it to the dullards to make to render decisions.

With freedom comes responsibility.  Go take care of one of your responsibilities as an American.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Be sure and wear your NRA "Life Member" cap . . . that always impresses the defense attorneys.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah well, if you ever wondered why fucked up shit keeps coming out of jury trials, it's because right thinking people aren't as right thinking as you;d like them to be.  

That is to say, they ditch jury duty and leave it to the dullards to make to render decisions.

With freedom comes responsibility.  Go take care of one of your responsibilities as an American.
View Quote

This.  Having been on the "other side" in a courtroom, it opened my eyes to jury duty.  I used to do anything to get out of it, now I look forward to it.  It's scary that a jury usually consists of 12 people that don't want to be there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Of course. I will behave as I would want someone else to should I find myself on the other side of the justice system.

I'm generally just being a whiny bitch about the location I need to go to fulfill that responsibility.

If there truly is an asshole of the world, this may not be it but it's close enough.

Quoted:
I don't think the OP is concerned about having jury duty as much as the trial being held in Aleppo.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I spend my life doing everything I can to stay the fuck out of places like this, but the state has sent me a nice invitation to come down and join them for some festivities.

Fuck.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee55/JamesP23_photo/Untitledww_zpsuznjkaim.jpg
View Quote

I will say this, be responsible. If you can not truly convict with 100% certainty then be a man and hold your ground on how you feel after the trial.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#15]
all you need is a make America great  again hat
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Last time I was called, one of my fellow prospective jurors was wearing a shirt that was a play on the Beatles shirt that lists their first names vertically.  His said:

John &
Eugene &
Mikhail &
Gaston

I assume if the crime had involved firearms and the attorneys and/or judge knew what the shirt meant, it would have gotten him dismissed quickly.  Luckily the suspect and court reached a plea deal before we got called in.  

While I'd like to get out of jury duty, if I'm ever accused of a crime, I'd like to think there would be normal people willing to do their civic duty on the jury.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been to jury duty once. Got excused in the early afternoon. Not enough trial by jury requests.

Having been a cop, I don't think I'll ever be part of a jury. 
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Cant send them a letter to get out of it?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This.  Having been on the "other side" in a courtroom, it opened my eyes to jury duty.  I used to do anything to get out of it, now I look forward to it.  It's scary that a jury usually consists of 12 people that don't want to be there.
View Quote

My first question to prospective jurors is, who doesn't want to be here?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Last time I was called, one of my fellow prospective jurors was wearing a shirt that was a play on the Beatles shirt that lists their first names vertically.  His said:

John &
Eugene &
Mikhail &
Gaston

I assume if the crime had involved firearms and the attorneys and/or judge knew what the shirt meant, it would have gotten him dismissed quickly.  Luckily the suspect and court reached a plea deal before we got called in.  

While I'd like to get out of jury duty, if I'm ever accused of a crime, I'd like to think there would be normal people willing to do their civic duty on the jury.  
View Quote

That sounds like a nice ass shirt.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cant send them a letter to get out of it?
View Quote

I'd do it if I had a good reason to, but like I say I'm just bitching. Gotta do what you gotta do.

It's just so perfectly wrong to voluntarily drive into that fucking mess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top