Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2006 4:40:12 PM EDT
The Larry the Cable Guy thread got me to searching for the Godfather or Redneck comedy.  Found this little gem that I never knew about Jr.

Read the back ground of the audio before listening.  Realplayer needed...

***Junior Samples is a North Georgia backwoodsman who backed into show business through an amazing set of circumstances that seem more like a fairy tale than that legendary lady, Cinderella.

I suppose it all started when one of Junior’s young sons found the head of a big fish on the shores of Lake Laneer near his home in Cummings, Ga. He took it to a race track to show his dad, our hero, who had taken a few drinks, and, needless to say, was feeling pretty good. Junior paraded the fish among the racing fans and claimed that he had caught a big bass. A radio announcer covering the races also heard Junior’s story and proceeded to broadcast it to his audience. Thus the story of the big fish spread, and soon came to the attention of the Georgia Game and Fish Commission who, in turn, dispatched Jim Morrison to the home of Junior Samples with a tape recorder to get Junior’s own account of how he caught the big fish.

Today Junior says, “this is one of my stories that got out of hand. I told Mr. Morrison to forget it, but when he kept insisting that he had to get a story, I took a drink and told him one!”

In the Spring of 1966, the original ‘Big Whopper’ interview was broadcasted all over the state of Georgia through the regular Game and Fish Commission program. It was so funny that stations were asked by their listeners to repeat it. ***

Jr's Whopper

This one is from a follow up interview...

The Disorderly House

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I kinda miss Hee Haw
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#2]
BR 549
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
BR 549

+1
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#4]
He was a rascal for sure! I recall reading that he got into an argument or something with the town sheriff, Junior went home strapped on his leather and .45 Peacemaker, marched back to the sheriff's office and called him out. Junior liked to drink too!

Can anyone find this story on the net? I may have not gotten it straight after all these years, but it still makes me laugh thinking about it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I kinda miss Hee Haw

They been replayin' the shit out of it on CMT!

jj
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
BR 549

THX 1138
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BR 549

THX 1138

Susquehanna 2222!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BR 549

+1

+2: That's the secret handshake, right there!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Read on the internet that the fish his kid found was actually a grouper.  

This is good clean humor.  Even my 17 year old son was cracking up once he realized Junior was making the story up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Hee Haw was a lot of fun.  IIRC Junior and cue-cards were an ongoing challenge on both sides.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hee Haw was a lot of fun.  IIRC Junior and cue-cards were an ongoing challenge on both sides.

I read or heard somewhere that Junior was almost always trashed during taping.
I also liked the Grandpa Jones dry humor, and there were tales that he was one old salty dog.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#12]
geez, I had forgotten Jr.  

I once saw Jr. and Grandpa Jones live when I was a kid.

Something to be said for good clean humor.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Gunilla Hutchinson in her short cut offs and halter top. (sigh)
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:07:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Anybody got a pic of LuLu Culhane?

That ought to get some shite started.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Gotta love the Hee Haw!
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#16]
"Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-lute!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top