Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/20/2017 7:39:54 AM EDT
Thoughts?

Got a offer at a Truck center in Denver, I'm a Diesel Mechanic. (Not overly fond of City settings)

My main concern is finding a place to stay since it would be starting next month. I love the state for the views and outdoors life that can be had there. I'm big into jeeps and there is really good wheeling in that state, and the surrounding states.

I know its a leaning left state, and I'm pretty sure Denver has a no "Assault" Rifle policy, I only did a quick google search on gun laws but it doesn't seem as bad as my current state, ( Cali of the east Mass ) no gun licensing required for purchases or open carry, but license required for concealed. ( Could be wrong as I said only quickly googled it so school me please )

Taxes are lower in the state, cost of living is down compared to Mass. No state income tax. EDIT: Got some misinformation know now that there is a income tax

Anyone around the area?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I like visiting but wouldn't want to live there. It's got too many hippies for me
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:43:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Isn't it one of the skinniest cities? You'll lose weight. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:49:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Anywhere in the Metro Area is going to be expensive to live, housing here has been nuts since the great weed-lection of 2012, and the attendent liberal invasion it caused. Also, the Denver AWB does exist in theory, but I doubt its really enforced. You can live in the burbs 2 minutes outside of Denver propper and there is no AWB, we have the stupid mag ban, but its openly flaunted in most areas of the state, I'd say 50% of gun stores in the metro area carry em. Most other parts of the state are pretty conservative though. Where is your job?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like visiting but wouldn't want to live there. It's got too many hippies for me
View Quote
Utah is where I really want to be, was hoping after a few years it would be an easy move.

I mean weeds legal must have a lotta hippies.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anywhere in the Metro Area is going to be expensive to live, housing here has been nuts since the great weed-lection of 2012, and the attendent liberal invasion it caused. Also, the Denver AWB does exist in theory, but I doubt its really enforced. You can live in the burbs 2 minutes outside of Denver propper and there is no AWB, we have the stupid mag ban, but its openly flaunted in most areas of the state, I'd say 50% of gun stores in the metro area carry em. Most other parts of the state are pretty conservative though. Where is your job?
View Quote
Rush Truck Center I believe its actually in Commerce City just over the city line. I am hoping to find a place out of the city in the burbs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:54:20 AM EDT
[#6]
It's better than Mass, use it as a stepping stone. Buy all the guns you want, 30 round mags, carry, and then keep your eyes out for a even better state.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#7]
You couldn't pay me enough to live in Denver.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, as I said city isn't really my thing, hoping to find someplace in the burbs I'm about 30 minutes from Boston and the traffic drives me nuts. But the job pays for me to move so its a ticket out west.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:01:25 AM EDT
[#9]
It would be much better than Massachusetts.
There is a Mass exodus from Denver every weekend up to the mountains.  That can get pretty old , but the scenery is good when you are stuck in traffic.

There is the 15 rd mag limit, unenforced for the most part.   Just bring any over 15 you have.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Rush Truck Center I believe its actually in Commerce City just over the city line. I am hoping to find a place out of the city in the burbs.
View Quote
Commerce city is not part of Denver proper so no AWB, and it is/was considered the bad part of town for a long while, but with gentrification I honestly don't know anymore. So rent/places to stay may be cheaper. Plus you are near I-76 which means you can commute from unoccupied territory outside of town, I work on the west side of town and i know several people that commute down I-76 or from up north specifically because it isn't Denver so it can be done, it just sucks during the winter if there is snow.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#11]
There is a state income tax in Colorado
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Commerce city is not part of Denver proper so no AWB, and it is/was considered the bad part of town for a long while, but with gentrification I honestly don't know anymore. So rent/places to stay may be cheaper. Plus you are near I-76 which means you can commute from unoccupied territory outside of town, I work on the west side of town and i know several people that commute down I-76 or from up north specifically because it isn't Denver so it can be done, it just sucks during the winter if there is snow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good to know since housing was my large concern. I was going to try to find some kind on Sublet or furnished apartment I could rent nearby to get a lay of the land before I signed into any lease with an apartment and be stuck there for a year.

Quoted:
It would be much better than Massachusetts.
There is a Mass exodus from Denver every weekend up to the mountains.  That can get pretty old , but the scenery is good when you are stuck in traffic.

There is the 15 rd mag limit, unenforced for the most part.   Just bring any over 15 you have.
Me and the girlfriend are outdoors all the time might take us a while to get sick of the mountains, I'm sure ill get sick of the traffic real quick. Good to hear about the mags.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:07:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There is a state income tax in Colorado
View Quote
Yup...
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the correction, got some misinformation then.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#15]
BTW, Denver traffic is a nightmare.  I rarely go into that city.  Too bad there aren't other roads to get me north of it.  Anyway, had to drop someone off in Denver on a Saturday morning at 6:30 A.M.  E/R back south at 7 A.M., the NB traffic was backed up along Monument.  F*ck!  Saturday traffic jam?  Glad I was going the opposite.

I was told that if you're inside the city, it's not so bad.  I dunno.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Good to know since housing was my large concern. I was going to try to find some kind on Sublet or furnished apartment I could rent nearby to get a lay of the land before I signed into any lease with an apartment and be stuck there for a year.

Me and the girlfriend are outdoors all the time might take us a while to get sick of the mountains, I'm sure ill get sick of the traffic real quick. Good to hear about the mags.
View Quote
Members here have written the shops still all sell them, just sometimes in pieces. The civil disobedience is interesting and refreshing compared to most of the NE
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:11:50 AM EDT
[#17]
No state income tax?  What are you smoking?  

I'd look into a job in the Grand Junction area, better people, more to do, get away from the madness of the front range.  Housing is high due to pot growers buying with cash and flipping for electronic funds.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:12:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Look around online for what rent is going for in that area is my suggestion. From what I've heard from my more recent co-workers/hires its pretty bad/high on the west side of town. I was shocked to hear people were paying more than my mortgage payment for a 1 bedroom apt.

The main downside of living out east-ish is that it sucks to get into the mountains on the weekends... Tends to be mobbed by Denver day trippers... Its better if you can get out for a few days over the divide or to the north or south (i.e. away from the I-70 shitshow corridor)
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Denver sucks rent is crazy out here and it can be hard to find rentals the weed thing is a non issue you won't see it unless you go looking for it there are lots and lots of homeless people

People are a lot slower out here then on the east coast everyone has to have a ten minute conversation with the cashier it's annoying at first
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Also the food fucking blows out here
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Members here have written the shops still all sell them, just sometimes in pieces. The civil disobedience is interesting and refreshing compared to most of the NE
View Quote
The State was fairly solidly republican during the Bush era, then the Democraps gerrymandered the fuck out of the state, and the public - weed initiative brought the hippies to the polls to get them political majorities. The weed (Which ironically they were against) got them into power, and since then there has been an absurd influx of commies from CA and the NE in general (I'm told its not for the weed tho... )

My only hope is that with a few more states for them to go it will recover at some point.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:15:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'd look into a job in the Grand Junction area, better people, more to do, get away from the madness of the front range.  Housing is high due to pot growers buying with cash and flipping for electronic funds.
View Quote
He said there is a state income tax.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:16:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Good, go home then.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Denver is going to be a hell of a lot better than where you are now. Salt Lake City is the trucking capital of the west if you want to be in Utah. Apply to some of the companies here if you would like to live in Utah!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Denver sucks rent is crazy out here and it can be hard to find rentals the weed thing is a non issue you won't see it unless you go looking for it there are lots and lots of homeless people

People are a lot slower out here then on the east coast everyone has to have a ten minute conversation with the cashier it's annoying at first
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I like the slow, New England everyone's in a hurry.

Quoted:

Yeah got some misinformation clearly. As I said most of this info was from a couple googled searches.

Quoted:

Look around online for what rent is going for in that area is my suggestion. From what I've heard from my more recent co-workers/hires its pretty bad/high on the west side of town. I was shocked to hear people were paying more than my mortgage payment for a 1 bedroom apt.

The main downside of living out east-ish is that it sucks to get into the mountains on the weekends... Tends to be mobbed by Denver day trippers... Its better if you can get out for a few days over the divide or to the north or south (i.e. away from the I-70 shitshow corridor)
From what I have seen it is cheaper than Mass. A studio in Boston is 1200-1400 typically. Denver looks like 700-900.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I would move there in a heartbeat if I wasn't tied down in Ohio at the moment.  I've spent a lot of time working in the Golden/Denver area.  Beautiful land, beautiful weather, and plenty to keep you busy.  While it does lean left in some regards, you are coming from Mass so you will probably think you took a wrong turn and ended up in Texas.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thoughts?

Got a offer at a Truck center in Denver, I'm a Diesel Mechanic. (Not overly fond of City settings)

My main concern is finding a place to stay since it would be starting next month. I love the state for the views and outdoors life that can be had there. I'm big into jeeps and there is really good wheeling in that state, and the surrounding states.

I know its a leaning left state, and I'm pretty sure Denver has a no "Assault" Rifle policy, I only did a quick google search on gun laws but it doesn't seem as bad as my current state, ( Cali of the east Mass ) no gun licensing required for purchases or open carry, but license required for concealed. ( Could be wrong as I said only quickly googled it so school me please )

Taxes are lower in the state, cost of living is down compared to Mass. No state income tax.

Anyone around the area?
View Quote

No state income tax?  Where the fuck did you get that from?   Lot's of great places in Colorado to live,
Denver is not one of them.  BTW, the city of Denver has their own fucked up gun laws.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
OP is in MA.
anything is better than that.
Denver traffic sucks, and the city politics blow. I lived there for 6 months back in 2004.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:30:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Dirty liberal town.

No cheap housing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I would move there in a heartbeat if I wasn't tied down in Ohio at the moment.  I've spent a lot of time working in the Golden/Denver area.  Beautiful land, beautiful weather, and plenty to keep you busy.  While it does lean left in some regards, you are coming from Mass so you will probably think you took a wrong turn and ended up in Texas.
View Quote
Yeah, from what people call a left state, you're right might as well be Texas compared to Mass.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't know about living there but I like visiting.  I would definitely live in the burbs though.  Rush hour will suck.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Not my ideal location, but I'd happily take it over Massachusetts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#33]
When I visited I liked it. But I would never want to live there. Lots of hipsters/hippies. The city has a younger vibe to it. But I had fun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

He said there is a state income tax.
View Quote
He edited it.  OP claimed their wasn't.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#35]
I have relatives in Denver. The influx of left-leaning voters started over 20 years ago.

The economy in Denver was in the toilet and decent jobs were hard to get. People started leaving in search of work. Housing prices plummeted.

People from CA (and, to a lesser extent, TX) flocked to Denver in search of cheap living and brought their politics with them. Housing prices soared with the influx of people used to spending a lot for housing. My sister-in-law saw her house value double in less than five years. She sold and moved to Kentucky.

Sounds like the Denver area is still on a downhill slide to the left.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Took me a while to understand that.  Colorado does not compare to San Francisco for food. Period.    But no one comes out here for the food and most of the newbs come here for Mary Jane.  We're seeing a housing boom because of it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#37]
I didn't look hard enough to find the studio apartments for 7 or 900 or whatever it is you found.

If GoogleEarth is locating everything correctly, RUSH is where that arrow is. The image is less than two years old and it would appear that the truck center is under construction at the time.

There should be plenty of work there. That's one of the locations where they stay open until 10 PM most days.

The upper right community in this image is apparently called Montbello. Looks like you can rent a nice 3/2 for anywhere from 1600 to 2400 a month. All this without ever touching that traffic you hear about.

I'm not from there, so I don't really know. An opportunity to move from MA to CO does seem like kind of a no-brainer to me, though.

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#38]
I'd move out there given the opportunity.

I love the mountains and I would have 0 allergies.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Correct building is brand new just had their one year last month, half the reason I'm interested, everything will still be shiny and clean

I was looking more in the south section of city finding those prices. But traffic will probably be hell.

Also they were like 300sqft closets.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Don't buy your beer at a grocery store it's water down crap, only go to liquor stores.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Filthy dope smoking commie hippie town and getting worse by the day...  Terrible traffic, terrible cops, terrible homeless, terrible gun laws, horrendous housing prices, too many libtards, and way way too many lesboru's and forestfags in toyota tacoma's.
Other than that, it's a great place.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:03:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Depending on the specific area in the Denver metro, the rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is higher than the mortgage on my 2600 sq ft home...on 5 prime acres. Even 1 bedrooms are going for over $1K, depending on location.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Are there any gun laws specific to Denver or other CO cities?
Or do they basically have the same laws as the rest of the state (15rds, universal background checks, etc..)?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#45]
pot needles everywhere
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Correct building is brand new just had their one year last month, half the reason I'm interested, everything will still be shiny and clean

I was looking more in the south section of city finding those prices. But traffic will probably be hell.

Also they were like 300sqft closets.
View Quote
Your commute will suck if you go that route. Don't live IN the city at all. Live northeast of the city to avoid all the bullshit (hippies/laws) and have a better commute. Barr Lake and the Rocky Mountain Arsenal are also up there so you'll have lots of wide open spaces and wildlife in your backyard.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Are there any gun laws specific to Denver or other CO cities?
Or do they basically have the same laws as the rest of the state (15rds, universal background checks, etc..)?
View Quote
Denver has a ban on "assault" weapons.  Stay away from Denver proper and all you have to deal with is the mag limit which no one pays attention to anyway.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Your commute will suck if you go that route. Don't live IN the city at all. Live northeast of the city to avoid all the bullshit (hippies/laws) and have a better commute. Barr Lake and the Rocky Mountain Arsenal are also up there so you'll have lots of wide open spaces and wildlife in your backyard.
View Quote
Thank you for the specifics Ill take a look in that area.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Usually someone suggests the Colorado HTF.  But the most likely person got banninated a while ago.

Look, there is something not perfect about anyplace.  But differentially, Colorado is a much better place than Massachusetts.

OP will have unbelievable outdoor recreation opportunities.
OP will find a place to live.
OP will be happy.

The end.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Check your PMs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top