Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/25/2003 9:28:22 AM EDT
I'm working today, and a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped by the house to share a message from the bible --on Christmas morning. I don't get it. If you want someone to be receptive to your slightly off center religious views, why would you drop by during a huge family-oriented deal like Christmas morning?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm working today, and a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped by the house to share a message from the bible --on Christmas morning. I don't get it. If you want someone to be receptive to your slightly off center religious views, why would you drop by during a huge family-oriented deal like Christmas morning?
View Quote

Is this your first encounter with the lunatic fringe? In my experience with the JW, this has always been their normal modus operandi.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#2]
You should have invited them in and then hung them from your Festivus pole.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think my boss would have gone for it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

No, it's Feats of Strength! Festivus features telling everyone how they've disappointed you throughout the year (AKA Airing of Grievances) and Feats of Strength. Each person must be able to pin you before moving past Feats of Strength.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#5]
damn what I would pay to have them come over know, weapons everywhere .308 surplus, its great.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Jarhead if it any consolation to you, I know a group of Jehovah Witness' and they are without any doubt great people. Back in the late 80's I think it was John Denver that was on the Jonny Carson show. He was tring to crack a joke about Jehovah Witness' and Jonny stood up and asked him politly to leave the show and was never invited back. There are roughly 1500 diffrent religion out here. Some stranger than others I agree. Might give them a chance sometime. Maybe they see Christmas as a day people celebrate Christ and maybe that is there way of celebrating by sharing a scripture!

Christopher

Live To Ride
Ride To Live
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#8]
If I remember correctly, JW don't believe in Christmas or any other holidays, so they really don't care if they bother you today.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Jarhead if it any consolation to you, I know a group of Jehovah Witness' and they are without any doubt great people. Back in the late 80's I think it was John Denver that was on the Jonny Carson show. He was tring to crack a joke about Jehovah Witness' and Jonny stood up and asked him politly to leave the show and was never invited back. There are roughly 1500 diffrent religion out here. Some stranger than others I agree. Might give them a chance sometime. Maybe they see Christmas as a day people celebrate Christ and maybe that is there way of celebrating by sharing a scripture!

Christopher

Live To Ride
Ride To Live
View Quote

Completely and unmitigatedly FALSE. Never happened and in fact, Carson used to make jokes about electrocuting JWs at his gate buzzer at his home. They don't celebrate Christmas, birthdays, etc. Today is just another day of the week to them. Please have your trivia and religious facts into one sock next time.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm not questioning their beliefs of calling them names, just wondering about their timing.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#11]

They don't celebrate Christmas, birthdays, etc. Today is just another day of the week to them. Please have your trivia and religious facts into one sock next time.
View Quote

This explaines why the Kingdom Hall in Peoria AZ unexpectedly and without explination caught fire last night. Something caught fire on their back porch went up the wall and into the attic. No Christmas decorations soo that leaves...
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#13]
This explaines why the Kingdom Hall in Peoria AZ unexpectedly and without explination caught fire last night. Something caught fire on their back porch went up the wall and into the attic. No Christmas decorations soo that leaves...
View Quote

Arson.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 11:00:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm not questioning their beliefs of calling them names, just wondering about their timing.
View Quote

I'm with you on that one. Unless it's Christ himself asking for his birthday gift, I don't want anyone who was not invited at my house on Christmas.

Link Posted: 12/25/2003 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I tried talking with JW's once.  I told them that as long as we discussed the content of the Bible only, and not religion, that I'd be happy to talk about God.  It didn't last long.

BTW, they re-wrote the Bible to fit their religion.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I assumed from the thread title that this was going to be a field report on the effectiveness of a new handload.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is not unique...
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#18]
It's hard to conduct a conversation with two attack killer bassets lunging at the screen door, howling, arooing and barking.  And they don't quite seem to want to be invited in to all those teeth.  I just kind of forget to mention that the girls just want to get out to meet their new friends who might have food.  Or that if I let them in Sam  will sniff and shut up and Lilly will run and hide.  I just politely tell them we'll have to make it some other time..

Works with just about anybody that comes to the door, except people that know bassets.  Then if they talk to them the girls calm down.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

They were out trolling.

Hey, if they get that one guy who is totally sick of the holidays and get him to listen and possibly convert then they've accomplished their goal.

They come on holidays in hopes of catching that one fish.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't want the JW's coming to my door ANY day of the year.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#21]
not wanting to start a war eric the hun, but i am not very religious man.
my understanding of the christian belief is that all you have to do is ask for  forgivness before you die and you are welcome to heaven. isn't that what jesus told the thief on the cross??
now maybe i am wrong but  under that assumption,if adolph prayed and asked for forgivness before he blew his crummy brains out, wouldn't that mean he can go to heaven?
theoroeticlly that is
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View Quote

Their "New World Translation" did not have any recognized scholars in Greek or Hebrew.  There are numerous places in which the text was twisted to fit JW doctrine.  Dr. Walter Martin details the self-serving errors of the JW's NWT in his book "Kingdom of the Cults" (at several hundred pages, too long to paste in here [;)]).
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Jehova's Witness's are not Christians, any more then People of the Jewish faith or the muslims are, though they all are based on the same god, unlike Buddists, or Druids.

Since it's not thier holiday they would not respect it any more than a Frenchman would celebrate 4th of July.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
not wanting to start a war eric the hun, but i am not very religious man.
my understanding of the christian belief is that all you have to do is ask for  forgivness before you die and you are welcome to heaven. isn't that what jesus told the thief on the cross??
now maybe i am wrong but  under that assumption,if adolph prayed and asked for forgivness before he blew his crummy brains out, wouldn't that mean he can go to heaven?
theoroeticlly that is
View Quote

I believe that if a someone is truly repentant and asks God for forgiveness before he/she dies, then that person would be welcome to heaven.  There is a big difference in being truly repentant and sorry for sins committed and being afraid of going to hell.  It is a lot  more than just saying the words.  So if Adolph had sincerely repented before blowing his brains out then yes he would be in heaven.

I saw an interview with Jeffrey Dahmer where he said he had become a Christian.  His comments made a lot of people angry.  I am paraphrasing, but he said he believed he would go to heaven.  He said that he was very sorry about what he had done, that he had to live every day with it, and if God answered his prayer it would be that he would die in prison.  Not long after this interview, Jeffrey Dahmer was killed in prison.  Only God knows if he was truly repentant, but I couldn't help but wonder after hearing what he had said in that interview.

I believe that if he was sincere then he is in heaven.  If he was like a lot of the people who are not sincere and only "find God" in prison because they think that it will help their appeal, then I believe he is in hell.

Just my thoughts on the subject.  Background:  raised Southern Baptist, in Kentucky.  Many of the more fundamentalist denominations in the area considered us heathens.

Eric the Hun may have his own thoughts on this subject, which I would like to hear.  I always like to read what he has to say.  I agree with him nearly 100% of the time.

Edited to add:  Jehovah's Witnesses travel in packs, so I don't answer the door when I think that is who is knocking.  My mother always tried to be polite and discuss the Bible with them.  It never worked of course, because though my mother won every debate, they aren't interested in the Bible.  Also, they do not care about inconveniencing anyone.  Strange way to win converts if you ask me.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I saw an interview with Jeffrey Dahmer where he said he had become a Christian.  His comments made a lot of people angry.  I am paraphrasing, but he said he believed he would go to heaven.  He said that he was very sorry about what he had done, that he had to live every day with it, and if God answered his prayer it would be that he would die in prison.  Not long after this interview, Jeffrey Dahmer was killed in prison.  Only God knows if he was truly repentant, but I couldn't help but wonder after hearing what he had said in that interview.
View Quote

If Jeffrey Dahmer is in heaven, I don't want to go.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#26]
"1. Jesus is/was not divine, just a very righteous man who was 'adopted' as God's Son!

2. Hell is not permanent, but every soul shall one day work its way into God's Kingdom through its siffering in Hell."

Uh, NO.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If Jeffrey Dahmer is in heaven, I don't want to go.
View Quote

It could be that God answered his prayer or the prayers of his victims, since he was not going to be executed.  Only God knows if his eternity is in heaven or hell.  If he wasn't serious, then his eternity in hell started a lot sooner than he was expecting.  I believe what the Bible says about whosoever believes in Him, but it is hard for me to imagine a killer believing in anything but evil.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#30]

The last time some JW's showed up on my doorstep (I was in college and bored as hell after breaking up with the girlfriend of the month), I brought them into my apartment and started trying to convert them to my religion.

They were not amused.

They claimed I had deceived them and that I was wasting their time.  I always smile when I think of that.

I didn't have a chance to ask them their religions' stance on gun control.
I am,however, suspicious of any religion that allows you to have an organ transplant but not a blood transfusion.  Then again I really don't give a !@#$%#$.

Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

What a wonderful Holiday opportunity for personal growth and development.You are/were truly blessed.Praise Jehova.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#32]
You want to be in heaven after you leave this world behind.  Jeff Dahmer or no.

ALL of us have sinned against a HOLY and RIGHTEOUS God.  All of our righteousnesses are as filthy rags to him.

Jesus went to that cross and bore OUR SINS in his body on that cross.  He took the wrath we deserved.  He laid down his life for us, and then took it up again three days and three nights later.

The apostle Paul preached REPENTANCE toward God and FAITH TOWARD our Lord Jesus Christ.

Repent of your sins - turn to God with godly sorrow -and trust the finished work of the Lord Jesus Christ.

God grants forgiveness and everlasting life.

And yes, it is available for all men.

Unfortunately, JWs don't have (or believe) in the same Jesus.

But at least they act on what they do believe.  Same thing as the Mormons on the bikes.

Those of us who know the Lord Jesus Christ personally would do well to do the same.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back in the late 80's I think it was John Denver that was on the Jonny Carson show. He was tring to crack a joke about Jehovah Witness' and Jonny stood up and asked him politly to leave the show and was never invited back.
View Quote

Source?

I find nothing about this.
View Quote

Never heard the story either.  It would suprise me as most of what i have heard of John Denver was that he was a pretty decent guy.

My Mom hates JW's with a passion. I don't think they get two words out when she will slam the doors on their faces.  I have never had any come to my neighborhood since I moved to my prsent house 7 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, it's Feats of Strength! Festivus features telling everyone how they've disappointed you throughout the year (AKA Airing of Grievances) and Feats of Strength. Each person must be able to pin you before moving past Feats of Strength.
View Quote

You mean Festivus for the restivus?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#35]
You should have invited the JW's in, and told them to get ready for the party.

What party?

Well, the schedule is:

Rituals begin at 3 with the sacrifice of a live chicken, a cat, and a dog.

Orgy to begin immediately thereafter,  breaking at six for dinner.  (Featuring chicken, cat, and dog)

After dinner, at 7:30, comes two suicide human sacrifices, followed by an all-night prayer session (to Lucifer in the Satanic rite)  begins, ending at sunrise.  Conclude ritual with another orgy lasting until whenever.

If the JW's are still there when you get to this part of the description, RUN.

CJ

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:56:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What a wonderful Holiday opportunity for personal growth and development.You are/were truly blessed.Praise Jehova.
View Quote

[>:/]

Yeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhh, right. I said they stopped by, but they never got past buzzing in on the call box.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:57:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have an idea: how about if you do your thing and leave me to do my thing? If I don't want to spend eternity with serial killers and sanctimonious SOBs, that oughta be my choice, don't you think?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:03:04 AM EDT
[#38]
I invited a JW into my house one time, and asked him what comes next. He replied, "I don't know, I've never made it this far."
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:36:17 AM EDT
[#39]

What's the point of being JW? Isn't "their" Heaven FULL by now??????

"The Jehovah's Witness organization teaches that not all members of their group can take communion.  Only the 144,000 members called the "anointed class" have the right to take Communion and they are the only ones who go to heaven (Watchtower 2/15/85, page 13)."
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:16:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came to your house on Christmas day? Damn that's rude, disrespectful, and illmannered. I consider myself a tolerate person, but that is intolerable. In fact it's bullshit. I was unaware they did this. As far as I'm concerned they can fuck off.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:34:47 AM EDT
[#41]
If Dahmer can't get into Heaven, neither can you.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:54:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If Dahmer can't get into Heaven, neither can you.
View Quote

Thanks for swinging by and clearing that up, God.

Nice work on the Grand Canyon and Giselle Bunchen, by the way.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#43]
It may have been bad timing for them to show up on Christmas day. That I will agree with. But when it comes to hating or despising a religion, or to pointing fingers at who and who will not inherit the Kingdom of God, then Houston, we have a problem. My salvation is between me, Christ, and God. That's the line of authority. And it's the only three people who have any say power over whether or not I get to be get into heaven. Nowhere in that line of authority do I see listed YOU, or the preacher down the street who tells me I am "saved", or anyone else.

I gotta believe that Jeffrey Daumer and Adolf Hitler have some serious repenting to do. And that because of who they are and the path they chose in life, that they may not be likely to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. But whether or not that happens is between them and Jesus Christ. He died for us all, and we all have sinned. And the person's salvation that I should be most concerned with is MY OWN. I have spent my life praying for "JUSTICE" for myself and the victims of other's sins. But as I have become older and wiser I have begun to realize that if I want to be treated with MERCY at my judgement, that I should be praying for MERCY for all. I believe that both justice and mercy will be dealt upon us all, but it is not right for me to pray for justice for all, and mercy for me. That is not the way Christ lived his life. If he had, HE would have been the one to have thrown the stone at the whore (for he being the one without sin certainly had the right to do it).

I am SOOOO very tired of religious sects spending their time pointing their fingers at OTHER religious sects. Does that seem like a very "Christian" thing to do? We should all be helping each other to that same place, and if there is a disagreement in theology that we simply cannot get past, then we agree to disagree and the TRUTH will be told in the end when we kneel before Christ. Why is this so hard for us to do? I am pretty sure that God and Christ can be very disappointed in our behaviour from time to time (like any parent who disaproves of their child's choice or action).

I don't agree with the teachings of the Jehovah's Witnesses, and I don't choose to follow them. But I do not hate or despise them. As long as they are doing what they believe, and it doesn't affect my and others in a truly adverse way (being visited on Christmas counts as very little real adversity), then I will go my way and they can go theirs. I choose not to fight with them because they are my BROTHERS and SISTERS and are not threatening me or my loved ones.

Now if you're NUTS and want to fly airplanes into my place of work and kill me because your God tells you to, then I will do my duty and protect myself and others from you. Otherwise, go in peace and you are NOT my enemy. Because it's funny how many Christians take offense at the whole "Infidel" aspect of the Islamic religion (an aspect I am offended by also), but are all to quick to go-out and declare anyone who does not believe exactly as they do to be their enemy. You are NOT my enemy if you do not believe exactly as me. You are only my enemy if you seek to destroy me and others.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I have an idea: how about if you do your thing and leave me to do my thing? If I don't want to spend eternity with serial killers and sanctimonious SOBs, that oughta be my choice, don't you think?
View Quote

No one said otherwise, now did they?

But the only ones who make mockery of hell, or make some comment about preferring to desire hell, are on THIS SIDE OF THE GRAVE.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#45]
No one is going to be compared to Jeffrey Dahmer, or Adolph Hitler, or Joseph Stalin in order to enter heaven.

You are going to be compared to Jesus Christ.  Are you holy, sinnless, righteous .....  Did you ALWAYS do that which pleased the Father?

Then you aren't getting into heaven of your own accord.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

But that same Jesus, who was and is holy -  died for our sins, was buried and rose again from the dead.

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

And self-righteous, Christ rejecting men will not keep ANY sinner out of heaven if they have turned to Jesus and trusted Him as their Saviour.

Proverbs 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof [are] the ways of death.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
... and a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped by the house ...--on Christmas morning.

... why would you drop by during a huge family-oriented deal like Christmas morning?
View Quote

Well 'Hell', consider the (religous) odds.

THEY KNEW YOU'D BE HOME!    [}:D]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What's the point of being JW? Isn't "their" Heaven FULL by now??????

"The Jehovah's Witness organization teaches that not all members of their group can take communion.  Only the 144,000 members called the "anointed class" have the right to take Communion and they are the only ones who go to heaven (Watchtower 2/15/85, page 13)."
View Quote

Well Shazaammm!   If that's true then those who aren't JW's now have the magic bullet question,:

"Are you one of the 'annointed class'"?  

No?

Then what the Heaven are you doin' on my front porch?

What's the secret sign?  

If they come ringin' tell 'em your number 142,357.  Whoo0h, Barely made it. Now go away.

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#48]
It is better to judge them by their leaders, not their eccentric members.  Look at the Catholic priests, for example.......

Quoted:
Micahel Jackson was a Jehovah's Witness!

You can see what an impact it had on his life!

But I know that isn't fair to judge any denomination by the outrageous conduct of its most famous member.

The only two beliefs that you need to consider to  understand the gross departure from mainline Christian orthoxy that the Jehovah's Witnesses have accomplished are these:

1. [b]Jesus[/b] is/was not divine, just a very righteous man who was 'adopted' as God's Son!

2. Hell is not permanent, but every soul shall one day work its way into God's Kingdom through its siffering in Hell.

In other words, Adolph Hitler will one day take his [u]rightful[/u] place in the Father's Kingdom!

May take a while, but he will be there!

Eric The(That'sJustGreat!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It is better to judge them by their leaders, not their eccentric members.  Look at the Catholic priests, for example.......

Quoted:
Micahel Jackson was a Jehovah's Witness!

You can see what an impact it had on his life!

But I know that isn't fair to judge any denomination by the outrageous conduct of its most famous member.

The only two beliefs that you need to consider to  understand the gross departure from mainline Christian orthoxy that the Jehovah's Witnesses have accomplished are these:

1. [b]Jesus[/b] is/was not divine, just a very righteous man who was 'adopted' as God's Son!

2. Hell is not permanent, but every soul shall one day work its way into God's Kingdom through its siffering in Hell.

In other words, Adolph Hitler will one day take his [u]rightful[/u] place in the Father's Kingdom!

May take a while, but he will be there!

Eric The(That'sJustGreat!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
View Quote

bwahahaha, great one Heretic. By the way ETH, you are totally WRONG. Where do you get your info from? I happen to know a few of them and they say they don't believe in a hell in the traditional catholic sense, you just die and are dead. You cease to exist. No eternal suffering with deamons poking you in the ass with pitchforks or anything else like that.
I asked about the Jesus thing too and they said they all believe that Jesus was God's son, not just some really super guy who god decided to adopt.

They said that people like Hitler who REALLY screwed up during their lifetimes they don't get a second chance or a pass to heaven, they stay dead.
Take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:59:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Too much caffeine, Jarhead_22?

I compare myself to others sometimes and conclude that I am superior.  Nothing wrong with that.  I don't want to behave like Mao, ect.

But as far as getting to heaven, I want to be there, no matter what.  It's up to God to decide who to let in.  He's in charge, not me!

As for Damher - whoever killed him was pretty brave - possibly got some of Dahmer's bodily fluids on him in the process - ewwww....

btw - I heard that god himself sparked the Kingdom Hall in Peoria AZ - he was pissed that they disturbed you on Christmas.  You weren't pissed - - but He was.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top