Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 11:23:38 AM EDT
I will be looking for a Jeep Wrangler Sarah Edition with the 4.0 engine and 5 speed.  Currently I am working in Jackson County, MS doing disaster recovery.  I figure after I pay off my 05 Mustang, I will be able to pay 6k cash for it, and still have money to save.  What should I be able to find for 6k with the specifics I listed?.  What years should I advoid and whatnot.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know what it is like out there, but here in Colorado Jeeps pretty much bottom out at 5 grand. In other words a Jeep cost $5000, period. Doesn't matter if it is old, beat up or whatever.

Good luck ;)
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#2]
start with: www.southernjeeps.org or www.jeepsunlimited.com

junk goes up for sale all the time.  everything from grocery getters to turn-key rock crawlers. might find something to fit your budget.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure about used prices in your area....

Around here, a 97-99 TJ 4.0 goes around $7000  I stole mine for 6k   4 banger goes about 4500.  
a YJ from the mid 90s you can find something around $3000~$5500 for a 6cyl 5sp
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#4]
IM MyWar.  He has got that Jeep right now.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Any known troubles with certain year models?  Anything to watch for?  I know that water damaged cars from down here are being sold at auction, so I will require a CarFax report, Im waiting till the end of December to buy the Jeep, so anything for sale right now will have to wait.  I will have to save up for it after I pay off my Mustang.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Sahara edition hasn't been out long enough to find one in good shape for that money.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Any known troubles with certain year models?  Anything to watch for?  I know that water damaged cars from down here are being sold at auction, so I will require a CarFax report, Im waiting till the end of December to buy the Jeep, so anything for sale right now will have to wait.  I will have to save up for it after I pay off my Mustang.  

Anything that has the prefix CJ has locking front hubs, also known as grenades, because that is what they do when a front wheel gets in a bind and the driver pushes down on the stupid pedal. Lots of people will tell you that real Jeeps have locking hubs. Well I have sat behind lots of broken CJs on the trail while the owner switched out a broken front hub. Guess how many YJs I have seen break a front bearing on the trail. NONE! The locking CJ hub is an outdated design but just like Harley owners, the CJ owners refuse to admit that their beloved equipment is weak.

1995 the YJ Wrangler was upgraded with larger front axle shafts and axle u-joints. The YJ Wranglers previous to that year ocasionally break their Dana 30 front axle shafts if large tires are installed.

They did not make a 1996.

The 1997 and newer are the TJ Wrangler that have coil springs. Way better highway ride and way better off-road traction capabilities than the YJ.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anything that has the prefix CJ has locking front hubs, also known as grenades, because that is what they do when a front wheel gets in a bind and the driver pushes down on the stupid pedal. Lots of people will tell you that real Jeeps have locking hubs. Well I have sat behind lots of broken CJs on the trail while the owner switched out a broken front hub. Guess how many YJs I have seen break a front bearing on the trail. NONE! The locking CJ hub is an outdated design but just like Harley owners, the CJ owners refuse to admit that their beloved equipment is weak.

1995 the YJ Wrangler was upgraded with larger front axle shafts and axle u-joints. The YJ Wranglers previous to that year ocasionally break their Dana 30 front axle shafts if large tires are installed.

They did not make a 1996.

The 1997 and newer are the TJ Wrangler that have coil springs. Way better highway ride and way better off-road traction capabilities than the YJ.

Thanks for that info,  Im new to the Jeeps, and dont want to get screwed by not having all the info.  I will try for a 95 or newer,  it wont be used for much off road use.  Mainly as my work daily driver (2.3 miles each way)  and for when I go shooting.  Tired of driving my new car all the time and want to save on it.  

Thanks for all of the useful info, which do you like best?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sahara edition hasn't been out long enough to find one in good shape for that money.

Sahara is a trim level (comes with A/C) and was offered with the YJ (square headlight Jeeps).
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#10]
About two years ago i happened across a 95 Wrangler Sahara with about 25K miles on it.  As with several other qwners, the transmission (AX-15) was very balky going into second when it wasn't warmed up.  Some had replaced their trannys at least once.  If I had kept mine i would have swapped-in a NV4500.

The rear end (Corperate 8.5) felt like it was going to blow out on every turn: IOW clunky and grinding. I forget the brand but the rear was slated for a FORD 9-inch custom exchange at some point.

Very good motor, tho.

All things being said, I'd set my sights on a 78-79 CJ with the I-6 with the 3 spd (forget the type) or the T-150 four speed. IMO, the best Jeep years
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm looking at picking up a TJ also, as soon as I can get rid of my 97 ZJ Limited.

Good luck with your search!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I will be looking for a Jeep Wrangler Sarah Edition with the 4.0 engine and 5 speed.  Currently I am working in Jackson County, MS doing disaster recovery.  I figure after I pay off my 05 Mustang, I will be able to pay 6k cash for it, and still have money to save.  What should I be able to find for 6k with the specifics I listed?.  What years should I advoid and whatnot.  Thanks for the help.

Sarah who?  Brady?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Look for a used TJ with a Dana 44 in the rear. If its a sahara then it most likely came with the Tire and Wheel package and the 44.

Only problem I can think of on the TJ is cracked exhaust manifolds. This was fixed in 2000 I think.
also look under it at the control arm mounts and belly skid. Both places will show use off road. Look at the gas tank skid for scratches as well. This gets hit alot off road on the stockers. Don't let it scare you off if you find something, just make sure you check it over well.

Try to find one that has been unmolested. People do odd stuff to rigs so if you could find one that did not have extras on it then that is a plus in my book. (opinion)

See ya on the trails!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top