Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2002 6:01:21 AM EDT
On my 98 (TJ)Jeep  Wrangler, what type of service should be done if any on the front hubs. There is no protruding hub(s) per say, just a nut on the spindle which is flush with the drum as you know. Is this just a spline with a sealed bearing on the inside. In other words is this a non-servicable system. Also how often do you guys change the fluid in the TC and Diffs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#1]
No idea on the front hubs, but the Diffs should be changed after you cross a stream and the water covers the diffs.  

Go ask on the jeeps newsgroups or on jeepsunlimited.com.

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#2]
First thought is owners manual which gives all the maintance requirements, including fluids.

Call the dealer/mechanic and they can answer the front hub question. Again the owner's manual will cover maintance on the hub, and may answer your question.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Stronghorn,

The front hub on your Jeep is a sealed unit. It requires no service. It consists of the inner and outer housing and two bearings that are sealed inside the unit. The assembly is pressed together. When the bearings wear out the whole unit is replaced. Check by jacking up one side and attempt to move the tire back and forth. There should be no play in the bearings. If there is buy the hub assembly from an auto parts store, not the dealer. The dealer will charge you about twice what the hub should cost. This is a 30 minute job.

1) Dismount the wheel.

2) Dismount the brake caliper. Two bolts.

3) Remove the axle nut. I believe this is 36mm.
  A 1/2 in. breaker bar should do it.
  They are not usually very tight.

4) Dismount the hub from the steering knuckle.
  Three bolts.

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Headless-T, my hubs are tight at the moment, just wanted to hear what is needed when the time comes. I've read the manual, nothing on hub service, but they have you changing gear fluids almost every 12k. I've had vehicles with over 100k and never had to change (gear)fluids. If my jeep spends time in the water yes, but not dry normal(some off-road) driving. Some (stated)maintenance is over kill. But engine and oil and greasing are usually on que.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#5]
The hubs on the YJ and TJ (older and newer Wranglers) are pretty stout. With stock wheels you might never have one wear out. I have seen a lot of carnage at off-road events, but have never seen a YJ or TJ hub break. The older CJ locking hubs can grenade under severe use (large wheel, big motor, heavy application of the stupid pedal).

If you go off Hwy much it might be a good idea to change the gear oil every 12K or so. I change mine once a year. Each spring I take the diff covers off to do an inspection and just refill with fresh gear oil. Then I change the oil in the tranny, and change the ATF in the t-case. For the axle diffs this is more for the purpose of an inspection than to change the oil. The gear boxes have never really needed a fluid change, but since I am under there checking the fluid levels any way it is not much more trouble to go ahead and change the fluids.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#6]
double post
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top