Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/5/2018 6:27:53 PM EDT
Well shit, that sucks, yes i know its jalopnik, danm commies

The new Jeep Wrangler JL owners have been complaining about frame welds for months, and some have even experienced frame failures at a critical suspension mounting bracket. Now Fiat Chrysler is issuing a recall due to risk of a “vehicle crash without prior warning.” Here’s why this is such a big deal.

Jeep will issue a recall and stop-sale on some 2018 and 2019 Jeep Wranglers because a weld meant to hold the track bar bracket to the frame might fail, “potentially resulting in the bracket separating from the frame,” and possibly causing a crash, Fiat Chrysler says in the safety recall advanced communication shown below.

FCA hasn’t confirmed the legitimacy of this official-looking document posted onto the JL Wrangler Forum earlier today, though a spokesperson did confirm over the phone that “recall notices are pending” in relation to weld failures at the track bar bracket, so it’s safe to assume it’s real.

FCA also said that affected cars are a “very defined population,” and that the company knows of no accidents or injuries related to the issue.

Update Oct. 5, 2018 5:52 p.m. ET: FCA says the recall population includes approximately 18,000 vehicles, which will all be inspected. Of those, the company estimates that 4 percent (roughly 720 vehicles) “may have the issue.”

This comes after numerous owners have spoken out about Wrangler JL frame weld problems. Just look at some of the images in this 24-page “JL welding Issues” thread on JL Wrangler Forums. That’s just one of many threads including pictures of what look to be rather hideous welds.

It’s not just the appearance of the welds that owners have been complaining about. A number of people have had their frames actually fail, particularly at the track bar mount—the location mentioned in FCA’s recall document above.

The video below, posted by North Carolina resident and 2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon owner Bret Stevens, shows where his track bar bracket ripped right off his frame. Watch as the bracket gets pulled away from the rail as Bret’s wife turns the steering wheel:

Bret posted about his experience on the JL Wrangler Forum back in August; I had a chance to speak with him over the phone to learn more about what happened. He said he’s only had his Jeep since mid July, and that it only has 1,300 miles on it. He’s taking it off-roading once, but says he “definitely didn’t beat on it or anything.”

Back in August, Bret was merging onto the highway after dinner with his wife in the passenger seat, when—on the onramp—“the steering wheel acted like it locked up for a second.”

“It kind of felt like it was wanting to drift to the right even though I was putting steering input to the left,” he went on. From there, the traction control, brake, and service electronic stability control lights popped up on the dash.

Once he exited the onramp and got onto the highway, Stevens says he had to keep the steering wheel at a 45 degree angle just to keep the car straight.

He was able to limp the car home, though he admits that, in hindsight, this “probably wasn’t wise.” That’s because, upon inspection, Stevens found the inboard weld for the track bar bracket intact, but the outboard one “looked like it never touched the frame. It looked like it was just welded to the track bar mount itself.”

“[I] wasn’t expecting the mount on the track bar mount to pretty much shear off,” he told me. Upon seeing this, Stevens had the Jeep towed to a dealership in Eden, North Carolina, where it now sits.

“I do not trust my vehicle’s integrity,” he said, going on to tell me that he’s worried that other welds on the vehicle might also be compromised, and that that’s why he’s insisting on a vehicle buy-back from Jeep.

“[My track bar] was held on by one intact weld...I was fortunate,” he said. “Just because nothing happened to me and I’m fine, it doesn’t negate the seriousness of the issue,” he told me, saying that when it comes to a failure as important as a track bar, “one is too many.”

Stevens says his JL is in the process of being replaced.

Bret’s video showing the track bar failure isn’t the only of its kind, as I happened upon one while surfing a Facebook page for car technicians.

There, a tech claiming to work at an FCA dealership in Charlotte, North Carolina posted the video above. I reached out to the tech, who wanted to remain anonymous, and he told me that this is the first such issue that he’s come across. When I asked him what might have happened, he told me:

Not sure yet, looks like it may have just been a bad weld from the factory. You never really know what customers do with their vehicles, so anything could have happened, but there was no other visible damage to the vehicle.

Then there’s the story of Ross from New Jersey, whose track bar completely separated from his frame. You can see the images of the failure on his JL Wrangler Forum thread titled “Track bar sheared off at the weld. I feel like I’m cursed with my new JL.” In that thread, he describes what happened to his 700-mile 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, writing:

Rewind to Friday night. Driving down the highway. Everything is great. I go to switch lanes, turn the wheel and to my surprise realize I’ve lost all steering control in the steering wheel. My vehicle starts to track on its own and I almost kill two other people on the road before I’m able to pull over on the shoulder. (Good thing I was in the middle lane...) I get a warning lamp of ESC (electronic stability control) malfunction.

Call Jeep assist. Tow truck comes. Dealer calls me next day to tell me my track bar has been sheared off At the weld. (Says it looks like a horrible manufacturer defect).

He goes on to say the situation has him “in disbelief.”

Right in Ross’s thread, someone named Jason from Miami, Florida posted about his own JL Wrangler track bar weld failure, even posting an image showing clear separation between the bracket and the frame. I wasn’t able to speak with Jason (or Ross, for that matter), but he describes what happened in the thread, writing:

1,100 miles and no issues until this morning when I was getting off of the Palmetto Expressway in Miami and my steering wheel went right and I kept going straight. Luckily I limped it to the closest Jeep dealer and they where shocked to say the least.

He goes on, saying that the track bar was “off the frame,” and that turning the steering wheel made the front end “[buck] up and down like a low rider.”

Complaints about JL frame welds have gotten so numerous, that one Colorado JL owner who goes by Capt-Zoom on JL Wrangler Forums even created a thread urging people to send in petitions to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in order to push the organization to accelerate an investigation into the bad welds. Capt-Zoom’s letter to NHTSA outlines the complaints JL owners have had about their frame welds:

Poor Track Bar Bracket welds that have broken and will cause complete loss of steering.

Porous welds exceeding safety standards that could lead to catastrophic failure.

Slag on nearly every weld on the frame which paint will not adhere to. This will eventually cause rusting of the frame at the welds leading to potential catastrophic failure.

Lack of Penetration on some welds that could lead to catastrophic failure

Over penetration on some welds that could lead to catastrophic failure

Overweld or weld drip on several welds

Weld Splash on various part of the frame that will result in lack of long term paint adherence and increased likelihood of rusting of the frame.

Hop onto NHTSA’s online database, and you’ll find 13 JL Wrangler complaints that fall under the category of “structure.”

“Missing and failed welds on front chassis where track bar and everything else meet,” one reads. “Welds on track bar mount not lined up correctly. Throughout the rest of the frame, lots of slag, misaligned welds, bad penetration, malformed weld caps, spatter, and porosity,” another complaint says.

Still another one states: “Many welds on the frame to include the track bar are extremely porous. If/when the track bar weld gives the vehicle will result in a total loss of steering. Making it a high risk for accident and injury.”

One after another, owners from around the U.S. wrote out about poor JL frame welds. Here’s one from Florida warning about how these bad welds could cause a “catastrophic” failure:

Here’s one from an Illinois JL driver who feels “very unsafe” in their new JL:

Then here’s one from someone in California appearing to claim that their Jeep’s track bar failed in a similar fashion to Bret’s JL, Ross’s JL, Jason’s JL, and the JL filmed by the Charlotte, North Carolina dealership technician.

Obviously, I can’t confirm the validity of these complaints on NHTSA’s website, but there are 13, which isn’t insignificant, and that’s not even accounting for the whopping 130 JL complaints that fall under the category of “steering.”

Some of these complaints appear to describe similar vehicle behavior to what Brett described when his track bar frame bracket failed. This one, for example:

IT WILL NOT TRACK STRAIGHT AND IT WANDERS ON THE ROAD. IT IS DIFFICULT TO KEEP IT IN THE LANE WITHOUT A LOT OF CORRECTION. IT IS UNCOMFORTABLE AND IS UNSAFE

And this one:

LOOSE STEERING CAUSING VEHICLE DRIFTING AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS RESULTING IN CONSTANTLY CORRECTING THE VEHICLE TO MAINTAIN STRAIGHT LINE AND STAYING IN LANE. VEHICLE DRIFTS TOWARDS OTHER LANES AND VEHICLES WHICH IS VERY DANGEROUS TO DRIVE. REQUIRES DRIVER TO CORRECT STEERING WHEEL TO STAY IN LANE CONSTANTLY.

(It’s worth mentioning that in May, FCA issued a recall related to an intermediate steering shaft issue that could cause issues like the ones described above).

These track bar failures—and this recall in general—is a big deal because track bars are critical suspension components. The 2018 Jeep Wrangler’s coil sprung solid front axle suspension consists of five major links: four control arms running fore-aft between the frame and the front axle, and a track bar running laterally from the frame to the axle.

The four control arms locate the axle in the fore-aft direction, but it is solely the track bar that is charged with keeping the axle centered laterally, and for taking up the side-loads on the axle.

In other words, a failure of this part means there’s no structural component keeping the axle in its correct lateral position, which is why, in Bret’s video, turning the steering wheel moves the whole axle back and forth instead of effectively turning the front wheels.

FCA says it’s working to get us more information on this issue (like total number of vehicles effected). We’ll update this story as we learn more.

h/t: Zerin Dube

This post has been updated with additional information about the recall from FCA.

THE NEW JEEP WRANGLER JL

The 2018 Jeep Wrangler Didn't Get Soft, It Got Much Better

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon: What We Learned Over 600 Hard Miles
The 2018 Jeep Wrangler Moab Is the First JL Special Edition, but It’s Not Quite Rock Crawler-Spec
David Tracy
Writer, Jalopnik. 1979 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle, 1985 Jeep J10, 1948 Willys CJ-2A, 1995 Jeep Cherokee, 1992 Jeep Cherokee, totaled 2003 Kia Rio.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#1]
eh, can't be any worse than Toyota's frame fiasco
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL, that's not a Jeep.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

It's a jeep thing
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like -0- penetration on the frame portion of the weldment. Take me about 30 minutes to make it right.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe they can just sell them at 1/2 price
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Neat
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I mean, it's a jeep.  What do you expect?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#10]
At least it seems to be a pretty small number of affected vehicles
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I mean, it's a jeep.  What do you expect?
View Quote
A bit better considering it's their icon
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Just get a spare battery and jumper cables and 6013 rod and weld that shit back
together. New jeep owners.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Meanwhile when you take that puppy offroading you have to disconnect the track bar to enhance suspension travel.
It's not a defect, it's a product benefit!
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#14]
ive been following the new wrangler release. there are a number of issues. most are due to turning them out very fast. i think this trackbar thing is one of those issues. however, when that thing breaks you loose your steering. which isnt cool and might just end up killing some folks.

there's a recall, but no fix and nor timeline on the fix. supposedly something in the 4th quarter. dealers are told to stop sale on certain 2018 and 2019 jeeps currently available. not all jeeps are effected. there is a list of VINs.

the most wide spread complaint is the steering which is supposedly worse than the JK (some folks will say its a jeep thing, the folks who bought the new JL but owned JKs will jump in say their JK steered much better). the problem is it wanders all over the road, requires constant steering corrections and that there is a lot of 'play' in the steering wheel, as you can turn the wheel and it doesnt move the tires at all.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A bit better considering it's their icon
View Quote
Whose icon? Fiat? Its just another product line to them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#16]
And that’s why you don’t buy a vehicle as soon as it debuts.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#17]
1) Fvck Jalopnik

2) Are those machine / robot welds or UAW welds?

3) Fvck Jalopnik
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
eh, can't be any worse than Toyota's frame fiasco
View Quote
Had a buddy take his Taco out to Bonnevile Salt Flats. Frame was proper fucked after than.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Meanwhile when you take that puppy offroading you have to disconnect the track bar to enhance suspension travel.
View Quote
Please don’t ever comment on off roading or a Jeep and what you do to it off road ever again. Your post is so full of fail I don’t even know what to say.

You disconnect the sway bar, not the track bar. If you did disconnect the track bar you could expect to have some major problems at the very least.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad my JK was built when they had ten years of building them under their belt.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#21]
My TJ had crazy birdshit welds and spatter all over, but never ever had an issue in the 150k miles I owned it.

The JL frame welds must be REALLY bad.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Poor Track Bar Bracket welds that have broken and will cause complete loss of steering.
View Quote
So what's the problem?

Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Please don’t ever comment on off roading or a Jeep and what you do to it off road ever again. Your post is so full of fail I don’t even know what to say.

You disconnect the sway bar, not the track bar. If you did disconnect the track bar you could expect to have some major problems at the very least.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah.

Wrong bar.
Talk about embarrassing. I'm a Jeep owner of 15+ years, too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
You literally have no clue what you're talking about, and should probably stick to commenting on what each color of crayon tastes like, in future threads.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Another reason I have no remorse in having a vehicle designed and built in Japan.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#26]
From the Jalopnik site...

2018 JLUR Track Bar Bracket Failure

At first I didn't notice it, then I was like...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Maybe they can just sell them at 1/2 price
View Quote
this
I will sign a waiver and take care of the welds myself
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#28]
lol

Fiat Wrangler
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Fiat quality they are known for
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fiat quality they are known for
View Quote
There was a recall on Plymouth Prowlers on some frames. They didn't heat treat them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It helps on tight, winding trails.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Oh yeah.

Wrong bar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah.

Wrong bar.
Then you should know that you REMOVE the sway bar and throw it in the trash.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
the most wide spread complaint is the steering which is supposedly worse than the JK (some folks will say its a jeep thing, the folks who bought the new JL but owned JKs will jump in say their JK steered much better). the problem is it wanders all over the road, requires constant steering corrections and that there is a lot of 'play' in the steering wheel, as you can turn the wheel and it doesnt move the tires at all.
View Quote
^ this  X 100.  My wife traded her '13? JKU for an '18 JLU and I have noticed the exact same thing. It is sketchy and at interstate speed you really have to fight it.  JKU steered much better.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
^ this  X 100.  My wife traded her '13? JKU for an '18 JLU and I have noticed the exact same thing. It is sketchy and at interstate speed you really have to fight it.  JKU steered much better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I drive a beaten, lifted LJ on 35s at 80+ on the interstate without having to “fight it”. You’ve got issues if you are.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Sounds like Chrysler still hasn’t fired the guy responsible for this:   https://weldreality.com/chrysler%20self%20shielded%20wires.htm
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My TJ had crazy birdshit welds and spatter all over, but never ever had an issue in the 150k miles I owned it.

The JL frame welds must be REALLY bad.
View Quote
There were some bad ones. Seems like the robo welder ran out of shielding gas or something.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I drive a beaten, lifted LJ on 35s at 80+ on the interstate without having to “fight it”. You’ve got issues if you are.
View Quote
It's a stock Sahara JLU. It drifts/floats on the road. Feels like it's an alignment issue. It's not something that is caused by the wheel. It does it on it's own without input from steering. You correct and the response is slow but exaggerated, which requires more input to correct and on and on and on..
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Track bar is not a sway bar
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I drive a beaten, lifted LJ on 35s at 80+ on the interstate without having to "fight it". You've got issues if you are.
View Quote
He's referring to a JL, not an LJ. The new JLs have electro-hydraulic steering of some sort, whereas LJs had traditional power steering.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I wonder if these are FCA built frames or contractor like Dana.

Pretty obviously robot welds with a penetration issue (or lack thereof)
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You literally have no clue what you're talking about, and should probably stick to commenting on what each color of crayon tastes like, in future threads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Enough. From all of you. (not just you)
It was a simple mistake in a quick comment.
Do I need to drive my TJ up on your front porch of are are you guys going to keep on with this?
Because if you are, you're going to torque me off!

The article itself was also full of fail, referring to the Jeep as a car, for glaring starters.
I read through the post quickly & thought of quick disconnects, then posted.
Having already admitted my mistake, I'm not going to take grief or guff from anyone else, so just back off!
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah.

Wrong bar.
Prefer quick disconnects for highway manners, having watched a friend do a surprise 360 on the round once.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Do I need to drive my TJ up on your front porch of are are you guys going to keep on with this?

The article itself was also full of fail, referring to the Jeep as a car, for glaring starters.
Having already admitted my mistake, I'm not going to take grief or guff from anyone else, so just back off!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wegotabadasshere.jpg

You probably should stick to naming parts that you don't know. Your internet intimidation game is weak.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#44]
The idea that the welds on the track bar bracket can be extended to suggest that ALL welds in the frame are latently defective is patently FUCKING STUPID.

Not all welds will see the same amount of stress.  Not all welded joints are subjected to the same types of loads.  Anyone suggesting all welds are equally suspect is ignoring the above two facts.

If Chrysler is aware of weld issues on track bar brackets, let them fix those affected vehicles, and sleep easily.

There are PLENTY of vehicles out there that have suffered similar types of failures over the years that manufacturers have addressed and corrected.   I am pretty sure that Chrysler will be just as diligent and competent here.

By the way, I have seen plenty of idiots drive vehicles with the track bar BROKEN (in Jeeps and other brands), so the issue is not completely rare.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Uh you're thinking of the sway bar
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Don't buy a Jeep, it is that simple.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Well...  At least it didn't catch fire.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Careful! He'll drive his TJ ( he thinks it's a TJ) onto your front porch!
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Sounds like Chrysler still hasn’t fired the guy responsible for this:   https://weldreality.com/chrysler%20self%20shielded%20wires.htm
View Quote
Jesus tittyfucking christ, somebody please kick me in the balls if I ever think of buying a Chrysler product.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Can the average car mechanic weld worth a damn?

How will they fix that at the dealerships?

Fiat gonna Fiat
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top