Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/23/2016 1:02:16 AM EDT
Learn how Japanese flags from WWII are returned to families of fallen soldiers

MUSKEGON, MI – More than 1.3 million Japanese soldiers didn't return home after World War II – the flags they carried as good luck charms didn't return either.

A Japanese flag featuring the rising sun surrounded by notes and signatures from loved ones was carried by every Japanese soldier.  

Many of the flags were taken by U.S. soldiers as keepsakes and trophies during the war. Recently, some of them have been returned to the families of fallen Japanese soldiers through the nonprofit OBON Society.

Forgive me, I suck at links.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2016/10/find_out_how_japanese_flags_fr.html#incart_most_shared-muskegon

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvHTtR8NID4[/youtube]

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:05:55 AM EDT
[#1]
As an avid fan and historian of the Pacific War, I have no problem with this. I think it will help mend some old wounds and strengthen our alliance when we need it most against China and North Korea.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:14:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, my father fought in the battles of Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima, they can go to hell.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:18:38 AM EDT
[#4]

To the victor go the spoils.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:27:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Being a collector of militaria, it is well known that those flags were rarely inscribed with any "come home safe" messages. They were to go die an honorable death for the Emperor. That's just what was expected. I don't have a meatball flag in the collection yet, but one is on my list. I have a driver's license from a soldier that was killed in Papua New Guinea, and some pieces of a shot down Zero that were brought home by a GI. Those are the most 'personal' Japanese items I have.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:32:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry, my father fought in the battles of Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima, they can go to hell.
View Quote

I wouldn't blame their descendants. But, I don't think they are entitled to anything considering the circumstances. Still, if somebody wants to return a Japanese flag to a Japanese family, I guess its ok.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:32:35 AM EDT
[#7]
oh well, if you go pick a fight, you better win
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:33:15 AM EDT
[#8]
The Germans were somewhat mechanical about killing compared to the Japs. For what ever reason U.S. history has largely ignored the 10 million murdered at Nan King and more.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:37:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Germans were somewhat mechanical about killing compared to the Japs. For what ever reason U.S. history has largely ignored the 10 million murdered at Nan King and more.
View Quote
<Removed -40xb>
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:38:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As an avid fan and historian of the Pacific War, I have no problem with this. I think it will help mend some old wounds and strengthen our alliance when we need it most against China and North Korea.
View Quote

Wouldn't be any wounds to mend if they didn't start a war they would never win.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:39:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
<Removed -40xb>.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<Removed -40xb>.  

Hey I like the Korean War, nothing gets my dick harder than Marines mowing down commies by the thousands.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:41:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Skulls, OK, probably should go back. Everything else is a perfectly legit war trophy and should be kept as a touchstone of family honor.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:41:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I had the privilege of meeting a few vets who fought in the pacific campaign. Not one of them had a single nice thing to say about the Japanese soldiers other than they were ferocious warriors.

But, I've also read some incredible stories of guys who were able to forgive each other and became friends later in life. I guess you can't let hate ruin you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:42:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hey I like the Korean War, nothing gets my dick harder than Marines mowing down commies by the thousands.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<Removed -40xb>  

But you're a red blooded Marine that cares about the history of American heroism, Average Joe doesn't really give a shit about some Gooks having a family feud.  

But really, fuck the god damn commies, tore apart my grandfather's family.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:43:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<Removed -40xb>

My dad was mowing them down with an M-60 deep in the jungle of Vietnam. He was a badass. Today he loves his Prius.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:44:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<Removed -40xb>.  

I have the weirdest boner right now.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Nope, after reading and watching plenty of WW2 history and having a relative that was a Japanese POW, FUCK THEM!
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:46:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My dad was mowing them down with an M-60 deep in the jungle of Vietnam. He was a badass. Today he loves his Prius.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<Removed -40xb>

Better have an M60 stashed in the backseat.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:48:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I wouldn't blame their descendants. But, I don't think they are entitled to anything considering the circumstances. Still, if somebody wants to return a Japanese flag to a Japanese family, I guess its ok.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have politicians who brag about eating U.S. soldiers livers. My father hated the Japanese, I was raised in a liberal school and to my never ending shame I argued with him about it. He is dead now with a flag waving over his grave. Read some G.D. history before you post this shit.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:52:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

They have politicians who brag about eating U.S. soldiers livers. My father hated the Japanese, I was raised in a liberal school and to my never ending shame I argued with him about it. He is dead now with a flag waving over his grave. Read some G.D. history before you post this shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must really hate the British
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:52:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The problem is that Japan does not approach the actions of their nation for the entirety of the 1930's and 1940's with any objectivity. In the rare occasion this is ever discussed,its presented as being a territorial conflict with china, and the US decided to cut Japanese oil shipping because we wanted their katanas or something. It's seen as a war that Japan was unwillingly forced into by the US, and then had two cities nuked for no reason other than the US loved killing innocent Japanese people.

This is unique to Japan, Germany approaches their history in a strikingly truthful and admirable way. A large portion of their society accepts the whitewashing, as if there is some deeper nuanced understanding of how the Pacific war transpired. Many in Japan pretend Nanking was civil disobedience and maybe a few hundred people died, and that POWs aren't actually meant  to survive more than a few weeks after they are captured. They obfuscate the truth for nationalistic reasons, but we love the stuff they make, so we just shrug. There is no excuse for it in an educated first world society.

I mean shit, the Yasukuni shrine has convicted and executed psychopathic mass murderers like Kenji Doihara enshrined there. It would be like Germany listing Himmler on a holocaust memorial.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:54:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Learn how Japanese flags from WWII are returned to families of fallen soldiers

MUSKEGON, MI – More than 1.3 million Japanese soldiers didn't return home after World War II – the flags they carried as good luck charms didn't return either.

A Japanese flag featuring the rising sun surrounded by notes and signatures from loved ones was carried by every Japanese soldier.  

Many of the flags were taken by U.S. soldiers as keepsakes and trophies during the war. Recently, some of them have been returned to the families of fallen Japanese soldiers through the nonprofit OBON Society.

Forgive me, I suck at links.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2016/10/find_out_how_japanese_flags_fr.html#incart_most_shared-muskegon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvHTtR8NID4

View Quote

My Dad had one of these flags.  After he died one of my half brothers who flys to japan alot took it back.

ETA: I also remember a "star" he took of a helmet.  My Dad didnt talk about it much.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:56:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite right.

The wounds are mainly to their pride, and I think they hate themselves very much for having A: started the war in the first place, B: being brainwashed so easily by their military government, and C: losing so completely.

Before someone calls me a weeb, I think it is reprehensible that Japan has whitewashed their beastly treatment of POWs and non-japanese civilians. (While we use Howard Zinn as a history textbook and wallow in our guilt)
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:56:31 AM EDT
[#24]
sure, why not.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:01:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think he's Chuck Yeager? https://twitter.com/genchuckyeager
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:01:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not wild about the Brits, Irish and non dot Indian here.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:02:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quite right.

The wounds are mainly to their pride, and I think they hate themselves very much for having A: started the war in the first place, B: being brainwashed so easily by their military government, and C: losing so completely.

Before someone calls me a weeb, I think it is reprehensible that Japan has whitewashed their beastly treatment of POWs and non-japanese civilians. (While we use Howard Zinn as a history textbook and wallow in our guilt)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite right.

There are no actual wounds though. They are taught that every action they took was forced upon them and they had no choice. Because of that it is not seen as a subject that warrants any actual introspection. It might as well have happened 6000 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:06:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The British haven't completely whitewashed their genocide of millions of Asians, nor did they teach their children that they did nothing wrong in World War Two and that the United States attacked them first.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:26:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The British haven't completely whitewashed their genocide of millions of Asians, nor did they teach their children that they did nothing wrong in World War Two and that the United States attacked them first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are willfully ignorant, and I wouldn't hold it against them if not for the weird fact that somehow the Japanese are experts on the laws of warfare in regards to atomic bombs, and still today call the bombing an "illegal act and war crime", despite area bombing not actually being outlawed by anything, was never a charge brought against anyone, and was practiced by every nation in the war.

No other war crimes are noteworthy. The bombs were the true crimes. This also flows into the narrative that "allied powers executed innocent Japanese officers as scapegoats and to defend their aggression against Nippon, but only the victors write the history" blah blah blah
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:37:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
They are willfully ignorant, and I wouldn't hold it against them if not for the weird fact that somehow the Japanese are experts on the laws of warfare in regards to atomic bombs, and still today call the bombing an "illegal act and war crime", despite area bombing not actually being outlawed by anything, was never a charge brought against anyone, and was practiced by every nation in the war.

No other war crimes are noteworthy. The bombs were the true crimes. This also flows into the narrative that "allied powers executed innocent Japanese officers as scapegoats and to defend their aggression against Nippon, but only the victors write the history" blah blah blah
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wonder how they feel about their own Unit 731, or do they ignore that.....
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:59:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chinese propaganda creation to fuel anti-Japanese sentiment. They were merely scientists in a savage land.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:00:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:04:23 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm open to arguments that the bombs may not have been necessary to win the war, but the more I learn about what Japan did in WWII, the more I think they were well deserved regardless of necessity.  Berlin and Moscow would have been justifiable too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:14:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm open to arguments that the bombs may not have been necessary to win the war, but the more I learn about what Japan did in WWII, the more I think they were well deserved regardless of necessity.  Berlin and Moscow would have been justifiable too.
View Quote

Of course we could've successfully invaded mainland Japan without the atomic bombs. It would've resulted in hundreds of thousands of dead Americans, most likely 5+ million dead Japanese soldiers and civilians (there was little distinction between the two in Japans defense strategy). The entire remaining infrastructure of the entire nation would be destroyed. Communists would not have had a 5 year bitch slap imposed on their aggression worldwide, so expect the Korean war, Vietnam war, Cuban revolution, and subjugation of the middle east and africa to take place within probably 5-10 years.

But we dropped the bombs and things worked out until communist spies decided Stalin was a man who needs nuclear weapons.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 6:42:16 AM EDT
[#35]
I would probably give it back.
But I am keeping the sword.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:14:59 AM EDT
[#36]
I'd want any spoils of war I earned to be buried at my feet in my coffin.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:16:03 AM EDT
[#37]
You know in all honesty what people do with their own property is their business.  I don't think handing back a flag with well wishes written all over will do a damn thing, except appeal to some wishy washy well intentioned feelings someone may have.  The Japanese were and always will be a fucked up nation of people.  They first closed themselves off from the world and then opened themselves up to the world and tried to play catch up.  Then they got too big for their britches and tried to force their will on the rest of Asia.  Where did that get them?  A country that made celebrities of soldiers who had beheading contests in China or the same people who didn't even bat an eye at things like Nanking or Unit 731, is a country that is rotten to it's core.  These are the same people who piss and moan about getting nuked when they started the war and were too damn stupid to realize they were beaten.  Overall Japan is a weak, effeminate and decadent society.  Let them have their damn flags and hopefully they'll remember what those flags got them in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Skulls, OK, probably should go back. Everything else is a perfectly legit war trophy and should be kept as a touchstone of family honor.

View Quote
Nope... we should keep skulls. Samurai were a head cult and have a tbing for taking heads for reward. They also took noses too.

They evolved into the officer class of the Imperial Japanese Armed Forces.

Fuck them
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Being a collector of militaria, it is well known that those flags were rarely inscribed with any "come home safe" messages. They were to go die an honorable death for the Emperor. That's just what was expected. I don't have a meatball flag in the collection yet, but one is on my list. I have a driver's license from a soldier that was killed in Papua New Guinea, and some pieces of a shot down Zero that were brought home by a GI. Those are the most 'personal' Japanese items I have.
View Quote

Yep, the one that I inherited from my Grand Father had a line on it that reads don't come home

unless the war is won. It is made of silk. My Grandfather got it in the CBI theater. He was in the

First Air Commandos.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I had the privilege of meeting a few vets who fought in the pacific campaign. Not one of them had a single nice thing to say about the Japanese soldiers other than they were ferocious warriors.

View Quote

This. My Dad is in his 90s, served in the Pacific, and STILL hates the Japs with a passion
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have one of those flags my father was a corpsman on Okinawa and in Japan and China.

He told me a jap had given it to him and had died.

Wished I had asked him more about it before he died but ain't nobody getting it.  Daddy would roll in his grave..
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh, nobody cares about some yellow skins getting mowed down and oppressed by the Japs. Hell the Korean war has largely been reduced to a footnote in history.  

The US supported the Vietnamese Communists against the Japanese.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh, nobody cares about some yellow skins getting mowed down and oppressed by the Japs. Hell the Korean war has largely been reduced to a footnote in history.  

US soldiers saved Ho Chi Min's life in WWII. He was wounded badly

ad US troops got him to a field hospital location and they saved his life there.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#45]
If I had anything like that from my family I'd definitely be hanging on to it, no way I'd send it back to Japan!
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We also supported the USSR against the Nazis.

We should have done more than offer token support for the Kumitang in the 1930s. If we did so, it might have prevented the Japs from striking South and instead go North into the USSR.

The Japs were fucktarded evil fucks with Imperialist Aggressive Goals. I would have no problem with a Japanese ruled China. Hell, I'd have no problem with a Japanese ruled Siberia. But nope..... they had to strike south.

Did we have a part to play in it with our embargo? Possibly. But the Japs done fucked it up. They struck us first.

Alas...... in war, we always back those that become a bigger problem later.

Maybe if we carried the big stick instead in the 30s and smacked them around. Or ramped up production and secured our assets hetter they would have said lets fuck with the Commie Russians.

I do know this, the Red Chinese thanked Japan. Because without them, they'd never have defeated the Nationalists. The Communist Chinese only had three percent of their membership evolved in fighting the japs and the one battle they actively took part in was utter defeat for them. Worse off, they sold out nationalists to the jap intelligence.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Sometime, down the line, the Chinese are going to pay Japan back for what they did.
Asians have long memories.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#48]
If someone wants to return personal property, I don't see a problem.  Much like someone in Vietnam returning your KIA dad's dog tags and wallet.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Sometime, down the line, the Chinese are going to pay Japan back for what they did.

Asians have long memories.
View Quote

I don't see that. Look what they did to Koreans. My Father in Law

grew up under Japanese rule and he does not hold ill feelings

toward them any longer. Koreans and Japanese are getting married

with no objects from their parents.

I am not saying that Japan the China will not have battles, but it will

have little to do with 80 to 90 year old feelings.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

If someone wants to return personal property, I don't see a problem.  Much like someone in Vietnam returning your KIA dad's dog tags and wallet.

View Quote

Agree.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top