Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/14/2011 2:22:05 PM EDT
http://blog.crouze.com/?p=329

More images on the web site.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe some big defense contracts coming our way?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#3]
F16's covered in poo....  That sucks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#4]
If no mechanical damage, would complete innundation in seawater make the frames and skins non resuable?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Retired aircraft on display: F-86D, T-6 (actually, I think it's a Misubishi Zero painted up like a T-6 to use in a movie about a USAAF training squadron ) , F-86E, T-33, F-1, F-104
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If no mechanical damage, would complete innundation in seawater make the frames and skins non resuable?

From an economical standpoint, no.
Could the airframe be reused?
With enough fresh water rinsing and disassembly to the core structure, yes.

Are the Japanese worried about a few aircraft at this time?
Doubtful.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doubtful.  

I'm pretty sure we would be able to assist if needed in the event someone tried to invade Japan.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:47:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Guess we'll have to sell them some more... maybe this time we'll offer F-35s and help bring the unit cost down.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#9]
With the amount of damage to avionics, engines, not to mention every other aircraft system, I think those airframes are all toast.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Actually, they are going to be spending so much money to rebuild, I could see us selling them some used stuff cheap to hold them over until they spring for the shiny new stuff.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doubtful.

I'm pretty sure we would be able to assist if needed in the event someone tried to invade Japan.

We've got enough assests off their shore right now to make pretty much any country on Earth glow in the dark for 1000 years. I too think they aren't very concerned with their air force's state of readiness. Nobody is going to fuck with Japan before they rebuild the JASDF.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#12]
They had 30 minutes warning from what I heard in one news report. I wonder why someone couldn't get those planes in the air.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We've got enough assests off their shore right now to make pretty much any country on Earth glow in the dark for 1000 years. I too think they aren't very concerned with their air force's state of readiness. Nobody is going to fuck with Japan before they rebuild the JASDF.

thats assuming that Obama didn't surrender first, and apologize for getting in their way.

FBHO
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They had 30 minutes warning from what I heard in one news report. I wonder why someone couldn't get those planes in the air.

Really?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I was wondering about all the large commercial fishing boats washed all over the place.  It's the reverse of a hurricane, heading out is the safest place to be, and you wouldn't have to go far for deep water.  Of course, some would be idle, but as a fishing fleet, I'd expect most boats to be manned in some fashion.  Perhaps there's a rule against that to avoid navigation problems in 'false alarm' events.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm pretty sure it takes more than 30 minutes to get a fighter jet off the ground from sitting cold, unless they're on alert.  You can't just jump in one and start it up and drive it off like a car.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was wondering about all the large commercial fishing boats washed all over the place. It's the reverse of a hurricane, heading out is the safest place to be, and you wouldn't have to go far for deep water. Of course, some would be idle, but as a fishing fleet, I'd expect most boats to be manned in some fashion. Perhaps there's a rule against that to avoid navigation problems in 'false alarm' events.

If there is, then it's a stupid rule.  As we have just seen, the alternative (Real Tsunami) is far worse than a couple of fishing boats having a fender-bender in the bay if the warning is false.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubtful.  

We could, but would zero do it?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering about all the large commercial fishing boats washed all over the place.  It's the reverse of a hurricane, heading out is the safest place to be, and you wouldn't have to go far for deep water.  Of course, some would be idle, but as a fishing fleet, I'd expect most boats to be manned in some fashion.  Perhaps there's a rule against that to avoid navigation problems in 'false alarm' events.

You're a fisherman. You know a tsunami is coming. Your choice is to either go and make sure your family is safe or you can take your boat out to sea. What would you do?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have heard conflicting reports-  to as little as 9 minutes from warning until inundation.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doubtful.  

It will be interesting to see if the Chinese start getting frisky over there.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Guess we'll have to sell them some more... maybe this time we'll offer F-35s and help bring the unit cost down.

Those look like F-16's,but they're not.Japan is going to have many,many other things to spend money on but each one of those F-2's was about $125 million dollars.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Holy crap, those are very expensive F-2's.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#24]
They look like toys a 5 year old kicked over in the sandbox playset when mom called him to come in for dinner.

I've always wanted to go to Japan, and I know its terribly opportunistic of me, but I keep wondering if anyone will be hiring Americans to help with cleanup out there.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Don't you know all aircraft are always fully fueled, start carts, ground crews and pilots on hand to get all planes off the deck in 30 minutes or less... or the plane is FREE!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Even if some of them look OK, a few scrapes & broken parts can add up to (and I'm using a technical term here) badonkulous repair expenses.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They look like toys a 5 year old kicked over in the sandbox playset when mom called him to come in for dinner.

I've always wanted to go to Japan, and I know its terribly opportunistic of me, but I keep wondering if anyone will be hiring Americans to help with cleanup out there.

Pay won't be very good.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pay won't be very good.

Not to mention the living accomidations would suck.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
F16's covered in poo....  That sucks.

The F-2 looks a lot like the F-16, doesn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_F-2
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#30]
You dont do that sort of think for the pay. Unemployment in Japan
will be low for the next five years.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubtful.  

Even -0- himself isn't stupid or evil enough to turn a blind eye to a threat against Japan, considering who and what all we have stationed there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

99% of Americans would be in their way. The work ethic there is mindboggling (and really kind of sad) to a westerner.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

We've got enough assests off their shore right now to make pretty much any country on Earth glow in the dark for 1000 years.

Not so much....    We could bomb them back to the stone age, but not make anyone glow in the dark.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#35]
The report is that 18 F-2s were destroyed (total production run is or will be 94).
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#36]
According to Wikipedia, the earthquake/tsunami destroyed 18 F-2 aircraft at Matsushima Air Field.  Japan built 94 F-2s so they aren't completely defenseless.

ETA: Damn it, too slow!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Pay won't be very good.

But there are other benefits.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

http://blog.crouze.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Matsushima04.jpg

Retired aircraft on']actually, I think it's a Misubishi Zero painted up like a T-6 to use in a movie about a USAAF training squadron[/span] ) , F-86E, T-33, F-1, F-104

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#39]
did they not have enough time to take off and keep the aircraft somewhere safe till the disaster is over?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
did they not have enough time to take off and keep the aircraft somewhere safe till the disaster is over?

READ THE FRAKKING THREAD!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I have a feeling that will be on the base commanders mind when he is standing in front of his boss and explaining why all those aircraft got a salt water bath.

All kidding aside, I don't think there was much you could do in that situation, unless they planes were gassed up, and pilots handy for an emergency bug out. That might look great on film, but in real life, that's not how it works.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pay won't be very good.

But there are other benefits.

http://images.wikia.com/austinpowers/images/2/21/Fook_mi_fook_yu_and_austin_powers.jpg

Fuk Yu and Fuk Mi are more than welcome to stay at my place untill the crisis passes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#43]
That sucks about your 127 million dollar supped up F-16s!  So uhh... hey, would you like to buy some F-35's?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#44]
How long does it take for your plane to get in the air from the time you've left the gate?

Mind you,there's already fuel in the plane,the crew is onboard and engines are turning...

We'll just pretend all the pilots were sitting in a ready room with their suits on,the planes are buttoned up and fueled and you're OK with leaving all the crew out on the ramp to get washed away.

Yes,if they could have flown the planes out,they certainly would have.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#45]
21st Fighter Training Squadron (destroyed)[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_F-2#cite_note-fg_dewline_blog_201103-9][10][/url]

Per wiki

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i did.
im not a jet pilot.
how long does it take to get a bird in the air?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We've got enough assests off their shore right now to make pretty much any country on Earth glow in the dark for 1000 years.

Not so much.... We could bomb them back to the stone age, but not make anyone glow in the dark.

Do we not have any tactical phosphorescent powders?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i did.
im not a jet pilot.
how long does it take to get a bird in the air?

It takes a long time.

You just don't take off blind without knowing what the fuck is going on.
Where are you going to land?
Did all of the other bases get fucked up when the quake hit?

Do you think that the pilots just sit around in their flight suits waiting to fly 24/7?

Do you think the maintainers sit around 24/7 waiting to launch the aircraft?

Are all of the planes in an up status / safe for flight / serviced?
Do you have enough pilots?
Maintainers?

What happens to the maintainers that stuck around 25 minutes to launch out the aircraft when there was a 30 minute warning?
Oh right, they get to fucking die.

Even a carrier launch takes about an hour to do from start to launch, there's more to it than hopping into the cockpit and taking off.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#50]
We JUST sold them those airplanes. This is why they can't have anything nice.

Just kidding. Damn. Just damn. They make New Orleanians after Katrina look like pikers in comparison. At least they're dealing with it, instead of blaming everyone else for their misfortune.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top