Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2001 6:38:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#1]
We rented it tonight. Had the plot line about both the Apes and Man being decendants from the mothership crash figuered out right away.

The final "surprise" ending doesnt make any sense though. Except establishing a sequal.

Marky mark really blew it, leaving the hottest blonde in outerspace for a chance at getting home.

PS..
Did you see the preveiw before it, for the cop-bashing slapstick straight to video movie?

I dont think the movie did well enough at the box office for a sequal though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I rented it too, and wasn't terribly impressed.  

In the end, when Thade is locked in the control room, did I imagine that his gun changed over to a stainless Beretta from whatever it was originally?

Also, how did the small crew of the space craft and the limited number of Chimpanzees (I don't recall seeing other Apes earlier in the film) become Orangs, Gorillas, etc.  And the humans got pretty diverse for a small group.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Marky mark really blew it, leaving the hottest blonde in outerspace for a chance at getting home.
View Quote

I think THAT was the suprise!  I really didn't expect the planet to be anything other than earth.  The inhabitants turned out to be decendants of the ship, right?  By that logic, where did the horses come from?  Also I don't recall seeing any gorillas in the ship.  Anyway, an entertaining movie although it had some holes.  I liked the original better - it was a play on racial and class descrimination whereas this was more of an action movie with some animal rights junk thrown in.  

The end has me wondering too...

Oh, I heard the reason there were so few scenes of marky mark and the eyecandy girl side by side was because of the big height difference - she's tall and he's short.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#4]
You wanted that female chimp didnt you!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Being a huge fan of the original series, I didn't like the remake at all. The plot was to thin and like other people have already said, too many holes.

The difference in arrival time is due to that nebulous timespace storm in the beginning. The chimp went in first but that doesn't mean that it would arrive first. In fact the chimp arrived last. I guess Gen Thade dug up Marky Marks ship from the bog and used it to go back in time and change the past. Since he lauched later, consistant with the reverse timestorm, he arrived first.

They used the "we salvaged the first ship" plot line in Escape from the Planet of the Apes. Cornelious and Zira dregged up Taylors ship and used it to travel back in time just before Taylor blew up the Earth with the Alpha/Omega bomb. Wheew! These plot lines make your mind spin.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:48:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I rented it the other day and I, too, prefer the original.

I took it that Marky just came out at a different point and hit a completely different Earth than the other two.

It does leave things wide open for a sequel.

And Marky wasn't thinking too well when he left the hottie.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:58:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I wasn't all that impressed with the movie but the female chimp was HOT!  
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#8]
you could drive a mack truck thru the plot holes in the new Planet of the apes.

Link Posted: 11/22/2001 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I hear that they are going to do another version of "I Am Legend" with Will Smith as the star. I doubt they are going to make it any better than the original with Vincent Price or  Omega Man with Charleton Heston. It seems that now days they go for special effects first then story later.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I hated this movie due to the ending, he leaves the other humans behind, the people who got there due to their ship crashing while looking for him in the past! To hell with them, they don't need any technology, or training, he has to get back to the land of MTV and microwaves! Self centered to say the least!
Top Top