Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 8:11:33 AM EDT
Not that it's anything of a shock or surprise.

biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040914/dctu038_1.html

"California Leads Nation in War on Terror - Becomes First State in Nation to Ban 50 Caliber Anti-Armor Sniper Rifles
Tuesday September 14, 11:48 am ET
Law Comes Less Than Three Years After Violence Policy Center First Identified Threat Posed by These Readily Available Tools of Terror
Governor Schwarzenegger Signs Bill That Bans Rifles That Can Destroy Aircraft, Down Helicopters, and Penetrate Armor Plating

WASHINGTON, Sept. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- California yesterday became the first state in the nation to ban 50 caliber sniper rifles. The bill, AB 50, was signed into law by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. The threat posed by 50 caliber sniper rifles, and their purchase in the U.S. by terrorists, was first identified by the Violence Policy Center (VPC) in its 2001 report Voting From the Rooftops: How the Gun Industry Armed Osama bin Laden, Other Foreign and Domestic Terrorists, and Common Criminals With 50 Caliber Sniper Rifles. Subsequent VPC studies have exposed the ability of these armor-piecing rifles -- which are accurate over a mile -- to attack bulk fuel tanks and other high- value targets from a distance, as well as their ability to destroy commercial aircraft. The VPC has also detailed their criminal use in the United States.

VPC Senior Policy Analyst and study author Tom Diaz states, "California has once again confirmed its status as a bellwether state in preventing gun violence. Today's action not only protects the police and public, but stops the sale of a confirmed tool of terrorists. We look forward to other states, and eventually the U.S. Congress, following its lead." Under federal law, 50 caliber rifles are as easy to buy as hunting rifles, and less restricted than handguns.

The effort to ban 50 caliber sniper rifles was led by Assemblyman Paul Koretz and other gun violence prevention leaders in the California Assembly and Senate, as well as the San Francisco-based Trauma Foundation and the Los Angeles-based Violence Prevention Coalition of Greater Los Angeles.

The Violence Policy Center is a national educational organization working to stop gun death and injury in America. For more information on the threat posed by 50 caliber sniper rifles, please visit http://www.vpc.org."

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Not that it's anything of a shock or surprise.

biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040914/dctu038_1.html

"California Leads Nation in War on Terror - Becomes First State in Nation to Ban 50 Caliber Anti-Armor Sniper Rifles
Tuesday September 14, 11:48 am ET
Law Comes Less Than Three Years After Violence Policy Center First Identified Threat Posed by These Readily Available Tools of Terror
Governor Schwarzenegger Signs Bill That Bans Rifles That Can Destroy Aircraft, Down Helicopters, and Penetrate Armor Plating

WASHINGTON, Sept. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- California yesterday became the first state in the nation to ban 50 caliber sniper rifles. The bill, AB 50, was signed into law by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. The threat posed by 50 caliber sniper rifles, and their purchase in the U.S. by terrorists, was first identified by the Violence Policy Center (VPC) in its 2001 report Voting From the Rooftops: How the Gun Industry Armed Osama bin Laden, Other Foreign and Domestic Terrorists, and Common Criminals With 50 Caliber Sniper Rifles. Subsequent VPC studies have exposed the ability of these armor-piecing rifles -- which are accurate over a mile -- to attack bulk fuel tanks and other high- value targets from a distance, as well as their ability to destroy commercial aircraft. The VPC has also detailed their criminal use in the United States.

VPC Senior Policy Analyst and study author Tom Diaz states, "California has once again confirmed its status as a bellwether state in preventing gun violence. Today's action not only protects the police and public, but stops the sale of a confirmed tool of terrorists. We look forward to other states, and eventually the U.S. Congress, following its lead." Under federal law, 50 caliber rifles are as easy to buy as hunting rifles, and less restricted than handguns.

The effort to ban 50 caliber sniper rifles was led by Assemblyman Paul Koretz and other gun violence prevention leaders in the California Assembly and Senate, as well as the San Francisco-based Trauma Foundation and the Los Angeles-based Violence Prevention Coalition of Greater Los Angeles.

The Violence Policy Center is a national educational organization working to stop gun death and injury in America. For more information on the threat posed by 50 caliber sniper rifles, please visit http://www.vpc.org."

Confirmation, please.....
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Fuck it. That sucks. Fuck Californistan.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Why don't we just give Kalifornia to mexico.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#5]
They are trying to do that here in Illinois except they worded it 50 cal and above. That means all shotguns 20ga and larger would be banned. It was finally a wake up call for those Fuggin trap and skeet shooters.

You Kali people better check the wording of that law. You may just have lost all your shotguns!

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#6]
IBTL

Pie

Get both

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#7]
that Tom Diaz fucktard... he needs to choke on a spoon or something...

'confirmed tool of terrorists'.... yeah... HE is the TOOL.  

Not one terrorist attack, heck, even criminal use of a .50 in the US... Sheesh... ban something that no one misuses.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#8]
A .499 wildcat will be out in 6 months.  

Dupe.

+1
Pie
IBTL
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#9]
The 50cal folks are partially repsonsible for this fiasco. Way back 10 years ago, I discuss this BS with members of the So. Calif. 50 Cal Club, they poo-poo'd the idea that "their" gun was an "assualt weapon" shoved me out the door. Well, I was right, with just a few changes here and there using Cali-fornia's AWB laws,  and volia! Their guns are banned and they don't own it anymore.

A few years back I was trying to do a referenedum on SB23(we can overturn a law at the grassroot's level, ie the people) and I need only need their signatures, but those 50 caliber boys refused to sign my petition, and after much arm twisting they finally relented. Their position was "I don't own an AW, and MY 50 isn't used by criminals, so this fight is not my problem.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why don't we just give Kalifornia back to mexico.

Appended.
Up-ended.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:24:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Dupey dupety dupe  

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=274515

Ooops... missed that one (Yahoo news just posted the article about 20 minutes ago).

Anyhow, ya gotta love the spin the doom-sayers at the VPC put on it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I ain't going to buy or watch anymore of Ahnold's movies.

What should you expect? He's married to a Kennedy?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The 50cal folks are partially repsonsible for this fiasco. Way back 10 years ago, I discuss this BS with members of the So. Calif. 50 Cal Club, they poo-poo'd the idea that "their" gun was an "assualt weapon" shoved me out the door. Well, I was right, with just a few changes here and there using Cali-fornia's AWB laws,  and volia! Their guns are banned and they don't own it anymore.

A few years back I was trying to do a referenedum on SB23(we can overturn a law at the grassroot's level, ie the people) and I need only need their signatures, but those 50 caliber boys refused to sign my petition, and after much arm twisting they finally relented. Their position was "I don't own an AW, and MY 50 isn't used by criminals, so this fight is not my problem.

I hear you loud and clear. The High Powered guys never would believe the laws would ever effect them. Now look. Dumbasses.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear you loud and clear. The High Powered guys never would believe the laws would ever effect them. Now look. Dumbasses.

Exactly, their guns will be regulated like machine guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top