Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/19/2001 11:14:26 AM EST
This was emailed to me today. It comes from a Canadian News writer. TRIBUTE TO THE UNITED STATES >This, from a Canadian newspaper, is worth sharing. > >America: The Good Neighbor. >Widespread but only partial news coverage was given recently to a remarkable >editorial broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television >commentator. What follows is the full text of his trenchant remarks as >printed in the Congressional Record: > >"This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most >generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth. Germany, >Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the >debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave >other billions in debts. None of these countries is today paying even the >interest on its remaining debts to the United States. > >When the franc was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who >propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the >streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it. When earthquakes hit distant cities, >it is the United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59 American >communities were flattened by tornadoes. Nobody helped. The Marshall Plan and >the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now >newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent, warmongering >Americans. > >I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion >of the United States dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country in >the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, >or the Douglas DC10? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the >international lines except Russia fly American Planes? > >Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the >moon? You talk about Japanese technology, and you get radios. You talk about >German technology, and you get automobiles. You talk about American >technology, and you find men on the moon not once, but several times -- and >safely home again. > >You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store >window for everybody to look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued >and hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless they are >breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home >to spend here. > >When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through >age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad >and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both >are still broke. > >I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other >people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to >the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during >the San Francisco earthquake. Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one >Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get kicked around. They will >come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are >entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their >present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those." > >Stand proud, America!
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 11:26:11 AM EST
I hope steve m & Kuiper don't read this, it might ruin their day! [;)]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 11:31:28 AM EST
didint the french help us during the revolution war or am i mistaken other then that i cant think of anything ....im sure somebody tried to help us but who..
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 11:36:39 AM EST
Burn- Yes, the French did help in the War for Independence. Maybe the last intelligent thing they did!
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 11:37:44 AM EST
Yes, the French aided us in the Revolutionary War. I'm no historian, but I suspect it was just an extension of their continual spat with the British, and possibly an attempt at further expansion of the French empire. I know that offers of help were made when we experienced natural disasters and I think all have been cordially refused.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 1:21:45 PM EST
btt
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 1:37:43 PM EST
The French were trying to expand their territory south from Canada. They hoped that by helping us defeat the British that they would then be dealing with a weaker enemy and also a people who felt they owed them something. After the revolutionary war the French banded several Indian tribes together to make war against us.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 2:02:52 PM EST
Makes me proud to be an American!
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 2:22:10 PM EST
Makes you wonder what those canucks are up to.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 2:24:46 PM EST
Please DO NOT MENTION EUROPE in this thread. We don't want Kuiper locking it ! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 2:53:38 PM EST
This is very old, it was written in the 60's. Gordon Sinclair has been dead for several years.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 3:13:09 PM EST
Awesome article. It would be refreshing if more foreigners were as astute. I've been alot of places w/ the military, & seem to be welcomed pretty much everywhere (except France, of course,) but I might could give up a weapon or two if it would guarantee that this point of view should become contagious. Might just make our little world a better place.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 7:33:24 PM EST
P*ss on Canada! G*d D*mn Mexico lite!
Top Top