Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2005 10:49:19 AM EDT
On the Beach (2000)

Available on Netflix for rental and Amazon.com:

On the Beach

The 2000 remake of the 1959 film, which aired on Showtime as a 2 part movie. Starring Armand Assante and Rachel Ward in the roles originally played by Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner.

As powerful as the 1959 film was the 2000 remake was one of the few films that actually effected me deeply. If this one doesn't harm your soul and rip at your guts then you aren't really human.

It's 2006 and China invades Taiwan forcing a US response. China escalates with a nuclear strike and the US replies in kind resulting in a massive exchange. A lone US sub makes it's way to Australia where the last remnants of humanity exist. However a massive life extinguishing atmophere of radioactive fallout is only a couple months away.

But a mysterious signal from Anchorage, where no life is suppossed to have survived, gives humanity one last hope.

While this doesn't have the production values this film deserves the story itself is powerful enough to overcome any such shortcomings and it is actually well made considering.

I most identified with the Peter Holmes character, played by Grant Bowler and originally portrayed by Anthony Perkins. There are so many profound moments in this film that I don't know where to start.

I can't strongly recommend this film enough.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll be on the lookout for it; thanks for the head's-up!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:39:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Thnaks! Didn't even know there was a remake.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#3]
darn. saw this thread too late
just ordered the original version
maybe I'll get the new one too at some point
I remember reading the book
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
darn. saw this thread too late
just ordered the original version
maybe I'll get the new one too at some point
I remember reading the book

The original version is a really good movie (and some think it is the best version), that said the 2000 version is worth the $10 on Amazon.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Watching it right now. Didn't realize it was two parter.

Seems pretty good so far. The first one was a little too lovey-dovey, but I stuck with it.

I've always liked Armand Assante. He's a cool actor. His style kind of runs the same among his movies but he's got a strong presence.

ETA: Just finished it. Good movie. Glad I checked out it/ Thanks for the recommendation.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

- They should have called it "Hope is for suckers"
- The scene with the Auzzie LT and his family at the end was rough to watch. Just thinking about being in that position is enough to make my eyes water.
- This movie was very unpredictable. Every time they looked through the periscope in SF I expected someone to shout out, "Wait... I see someone!!" or for some survivors to be found.
- Expected more anarchy in the city thatn what they showed.
- Brian Brown's character made a nice turn by hanging out with Armand Assante. I thought for sure he'd have gotten his head kicked in before he came off that sub. By the end I coudl almost stand him.
- I thought they would have shown a lot more of the city devestation.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

ETA: Just finished it. Good movie. Glad I checked out it/ Thanks for the recommendation.

NP. Told ya it was good.

- The scene with the Auzzie LT and his family at the end was rough to watch. Just thinking about being in that position is enough to make my eyes water.

Yeah it was pretty brutal.

- Brian Brown's character made a nice turn by hanging out with Armand Assante. I thought for sure he'd have gotten his head kicked in before he came off that sub. By the end I coudl almost stand him.

Acutally I think all the characters were pretty well developed and I could understand the motivations of most of them. If you knew what he knew you might wanna ride it out on your island too.

- I thought they would have shown a lot more of the city devestation.

I think they did fairly well considering they didn't have a Hollywood Blockbuster budget. Course that probably saved it from being a Michael Bey movie.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Rachel Ward can make any movie watchable!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top