Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm pretty good at math as it relates to toolwork. Lots of trig, geometry and some algebra.

My boy is 3rd year mechE and there's no way I'm doing the math he's doing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"It's not rocket science" is a phrase usually used to suggest that a task or concept is not actually so difficult but fairly simple to do or understand.

But a new study suggests aerospace engineers and brain surgeons are not necessarily brighter than the general population - and that a career in either field is within anyone's reach if they apply themselves.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/dont_believe_you_anchorman_zps267e5cbb_GIF-108.gif
Completely ignoring actual "rocket science" classes, you have to get through multivariable calculus, several semesters of calculus based physics, and differential equations for an aerospace engineering degree.  That is most certainly not "within anyone's reach".  I'd say that's not within reach of most people who actually attain bachelor degrees, nevermind the general population.

I'm pretty good at math as it relates to toolwork. Lots of trig, geometry and some algebra.

My boy is 3rd year mechE and there's no way I'm doing the math he's doing.

I'm a MechE.  My oldest is getting his Phd in physics.  My youngest is in his 3rd year of rocket scientist school.  If I applied the 30 years ago self I might be able to do the rocket scientist thing.  I was lost by page 30 in my oldest son's math for physicists book.  Our thanksgiving dinner table conversation was about various methods for calculus. No joke...   I can tell you engineering types are NOT like everyone else.  And knowing a few doctors, though not brain docs, I think they are cut from a different bolt of cloth too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's the kicker

"Our results highlight the further efforts required to widen access to these specialities to mitigate impending staff shortages and ensure a diverse workforce to drive future innovation," they said.

tl;dr?

We have to let stupid people into neurosurgical residencies since it's not really hard. Because shortages. And diversity.

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

But that's just boiling water. So like, just a little harder than making coffee
View Quote

*Espresso since we pressurize the shit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Between 4th pump start up, rod drop and ejected rod in PWRs, that's more than just a participation trophy.
View Quote

Starting RCPs is one of my favorite things.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here's the kicker

"Our results highlight the further efforts required to widen access to these specialities to mitigate impending staff shortages and ensure a diverse workforce to drive future innovation," they said.

tl;dr?

We have to let stupid people into neurosurgical residencies since it's not really hard. Because shortages. And diversity.

View Quote

This is also coming to the airlines. I'm sure GD has covered it.

"United rolls out ambitious new plan to train at least 2,500 women and people of color as pilots by 2030"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/united-airlines-plan-train-women-people-color-pilots-2030/

I want to be able to see the pilots credentials before I board. Were they hired for diversity and inclusion, or skill? I want to see their flying record and hours in the chair.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

These always seem desperate to me.  THOSE PEOPLE ARENT SMARTER THAN ME!  I could be them!  
Really, if I tried and studied and applied myself, like they did.  REALLY!!

Pathetic.  Tear everyone down around you because of how pathetic you are… pathetic.

View Quote

You make a good point.  It's all part of the Communist plan.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But that's just boiling water. So like, just a little harder than making coffee

I don't know which site your at but I may have worked on your BVM system in between rockets
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#10]
This study clearly wasn't done my brain surgeons or rocket scientists, LOL

The "average" person wouldn't even understand a conversation at NASA.  And Brain Surgeons are the badasses of the surgery world... which is also way above "average".

Average IQ in the US is ~98-100... but World average IQ is 82.

It's been said that all seven first astronaut's had a genius-level IQ and engineering majors require at least an IQ of 120.

Most of the engineers on the Space Shuttle program had at least a Masters degree in math/science/engineering which would require a minimum of ~125-135 IQ.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Excel is the easily one of the best inventions in history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I came to post something like this. Everyone has different aptitudes. Mine is NOT heavy mathematics.

I use Excel as a crutch in the math I do. I like writing out my formulas and seeing the result. When I did it for work, for really important things I always double checked my math by doing the formulas backwards to make sure I was coming up with the correct answer. My hubby says that proves I can do math, I disagree. It just means I can write formulas in Excel.

Excel is the easily one of the best inventions in history.

At a prior job, we had a new hire that was, according to herself, a long time Excel user. She was out sick one day and the CFO called me to her office and she was obviously pissed. She couldn't figure out where the numbers were coming from on the spreadsheet. She said, please figure this out.

I opened the file at my desk. I puzzled it out in a couple of minutes. The woman was just plugging in numbers and using her calculator to get the answers. Then she would type the answer in. NO formulas. Unfortunately for her she was as bad on a calculator as she was on Excel. When she came back to work she was summarily fired... Excel was heavily used at my office.

What a shit show.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I find it quite annoying when I put in the work to make the proper fastener selection only to find a cheaper substitution installed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had a long conversation with one of my profs the other day about fastener selection.

Had to select bolts using NASA-STD-5020 for senior design and I was having him check through my math. Luckily he said it looks good but we were talking about the proliferation of fasteners with poor material specs or no or fake material certs, or as you mentioned people installing things just choosing a cheaper fastener because its cheaper without knowing why the selected one was chosen.

We were talking about the same things you are mentioning in this thread too, students not knowing how to apply anything from other classes in later classes and such.

I am sure the university's 25k engineering students by 2025 goal will totally help

I find it quite annoying when I put in the work to make the proper fastener selection only to find a cheaper substitution installed.

If fasteners that don't match the released engineering are being installed on a flight article, then there are some massively broken processes in place.  If an engineer is aware of this taking place, it's their duty to get it resolved before someone gets killed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
At one time the math involved in orbital dynamics was insanely difficult. Hand jamming a slide rule is not for a weak mind.

Now programs are written to do all that stuff for you.
Go back and watch Apollo 13 again and the hand done math depicted in that movie. They used multiple mathematicians to verify math done by Lovell in the capsule.

That shit was hard.

Now visionary people are the geniuses. The math is secondary.

Brain surgery. I haven’t got a clue but I do know some surgeries are pretty brutal while brain stuff is mostly done via robotics and requires more finesse than an orthopedic doc.

Everyone has different intellectual capabilities just like we have different features. Not everyone can be surgeons or rocket scientist and that’s okay. Until society can relearn this fact we continue this spiral into idiocracy.

I want a smart surgeon cutting on me. They better be way smarter than the average person.
View Quote

Having modern computers expands the possibilities and makes some things easier (the old timers knew mathematical constants like pi to 10 digits off the top of their head)... but somebody has to understand the math to program the computers to do the relevant calculations at the relevant times for the relevant thing redundantly so the system never fails.

Understanding math is primary, but computers make things like Monte-Carlo methods a lot quicker.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Between 4th pump start up, rod drop and ejected rod in PWRs, that's more than just a participation trophy.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright pressure vessels and warm warming water
Reactor pump startup to keep off the springs
These are a few of my favorite things.

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

"United rolls out ambitious new plan to train at least 2,500 women and people of color as pilots by 2030"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/united-airlines-plan-train-women-people-color-pilots-2030/

I want to be able to see the pilots credentials before I board. Were they hired for diversity and inclusion, or skill? I want to see their flying record and hours in the chair.
View Quote

You will be glad to hear that my university (Texas A&M)'s engineering departments have said their PRIMARY goal is to increase diversity in engineering. Not quality of education, not turning out skilled engineers... No, the diversity.

At least that is what was said at the last town hall I attended last semester.

They also want to make engineering advising a part of general advising with no major specific advisors... I am sure that will work out great.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Having modern computers expands the possibilities and makes some things easier (the old timers knew mathematical constants like pi to 10 digits off the top of their head)... but somebody has to understand the math to program the computers to do the relevant calculations at the relevant times for the relevant thing redundantly so the system never fails.

Understanding math is primary, but computers make things like Monte-Carlo methods a lot quicker.
View Quote

Correct but back in the day multiple people could do the math using pencils and slide rules. It was a prerequisite for the job. Now one or two people can do the math and the write the application. Others plug in the data.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://img.apmcdn.org/b32f151ad70360af31e7982e14f047e09f05c9be/uncropped/6cc1bb-20150317-julie-andrews-in-the-sound-of-music.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://img.apmcdn.org/b32f151ad70360af31e7982e14f047e09f05c9be/uncropped/6cc1bb-20150317-julie-andrews-in-the-sound-of-music.jpg

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If fasteners that don't match the released engineering are being installed on a flight article, then there are some massively broken processes in place.  If an engineer is aware of this taking place, it's their duty to get it resolved before someone gets killed.
View Quote

Indeed. Thankfully, I'm not in aerospace. My work is mostly residential architecture and light commercial (restaurants, bars, decks, docks, and piers). It's still quite important, but not nearly as critical.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Didn't the NTSB find that a significant percentage of replacement parts on aircraft are counterfeit... Even on Airforce One?

ETA in the case of my senior design we are delivering a flight article at the end of next semester so the bolts I include in that had better be the ones that get installed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I work with space engineers and NASA daily.

Extremely intelligent in one specific area. Complete idiots in general life skills. Almost all incels or simps.
View Quote
You're mixing knowledge and intelligence.  They're not the same.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Jordan Peterson ~ The Uncomfortable Fact About IQ

Jordan Peterson ~ The Uncomfortable Fact About IQ
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#24]
The Tabula Rasa crew is the greatest threat mankind has ever faced.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mazes of scaffolds
and bright shiny lagging
DBA snowing
and RP is laughing
ECO packages
Waiting to hang
That might just be my favorite thang  
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not wrong, though a little over the top.

People do need to stop saying "I could do that!" and just start doing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These always seem desperate to me.  THOSE PEOPLE ARENT SMARTER THAN ME!  I could be them!  
Really, if I tried and studied and applied myself, like they did.  REALLY!!

Pathetic.  Tear everyone down around you because of how pathetic you are… pathetic.

Not wrong, though a little over the top.

People do need to stop saying "I could do that!" and just start doing it.

But they really can't.

Rocket Scientist (aerospace engineers) have to pass calculus (the 3 x 3 hour course version, not the watered down business school version). The vast majority of people that even go to college don't take that course because they know it's too hard.

Not sure about surgeons, but that's 4 years of college with decent grades, then pass the MCAT, then 6 more years of medical school and residency.

The vast majority of the population has neither the brains or the motivation for that regardless of what some academics or journalists might say.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

But they really can't.

Rocket Scientist (aerospace engineers) have to pass calculus (the 3 x 3 hour course version, not the watered down business school version).

Not sure about surgeons, but that's 4 years of college with decent grades, then pass the MCAT, then 6 more years of medical school and residency.

The vast majority of the population has neither the brains or the motivation for that regardless of what some journalism major says.
View Quote

Yep, 3 semesters of Calculus for Scientists and Engineers, followed by 1 semester of Differential Equations was the minimum.
For our engineering classes, a grade of B- or lower would result in a failing grade, and you'd have to retake the course. Even a C- in General Ed. courses was a failure.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
*rocket surgery
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yep, 3 semesters of Calculus for Scientists and Engineers, followed by 1 semester of Differential Equations was the minimum.
For our engineering classes, a grade of B- or lower would result in a failing grade, and you'd have to retake the course. Even a C- in General Ed. courses was a failure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But they really can't.

Rocket Scientist (aerospace engineers) have to pass calculus (the 3 x 3 hour course version, not the watered down business school version).

The vast majority of the population has neither the brains or the motivation for that regardless of what some journalism major says.

You only had to do 3 semesters of calculus?

Lucky!
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Lucky!
View Quote

I only had to do one 3 hour course.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lucky!

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
"It's not rocket science" is a phrase usually used to suggest that a task or concept is not actually so difficult but fairly simple to do or understand.

But a new study suggests aerospace engineers and brain surgeons are not necessarily brighter than the general population - and that a career in either field is within anyone's reach if they apply themselves.

https://news.sky.com/story/rocket-scientists-and-brain-surgeons-are-no-smarter-than-the-rest-of-us-study-finds-12495355
View Quote
On the other hand, it ain't easy bein' anestheasy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone can be Kelly Johnson!
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"I'll be here all week..."
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean, who doesn't enjoy a light tune about hydraulic drag forces?
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#36]
The average person literally cannot comprehend how smart, truly intelligent people are.   They have no frame of reference with which to compare.
They also don’t understand the level of self discipline, energy focus and drive that those successful people maintain.  

Imagine the hardest thing you’ve ever mastered.  A next level smart person can master it with 1/10th the effort.  

But, they also put forth 5 times the effort that you do.        I’m not one of them, but I work with them. It’s exhausting to try to keep up.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 11:13:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sorry, I wouldn't trust any of the people I interact with on a daily basis to get me to space or remove a brain tumor, no matter what their level of education.
View Quote

I work with doctors.

I don't trust half of them to treat a cold. COVID taught me that many just know their box and they cannot use tools outside of it.

That said, the lower 25% of the IQ curve is good for cashiers, manual labor, some sliver of athletic talent, and crime.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:36:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The average person literally cannot comprehend how smart, truly intelligent people are.   They have no frame of reference with which to compare.
They also don’t understand the level of self discipline, energy focus and drive that those successful people maintain.  

Imagine the hardest thing you’ve ever mastered.  A next level smart person can master it with 1/10th the effort.  

But, they also put forth 5 times the effort that you do.        I’m not one of them, but I work with them. It’s exhausting to try to keep up.
View Quote

This is a very important point.

The dead average at the mean person, completely gets how useless/stupid someone a sd or more below the mean is.
They have absolutely zero concept what someone 3sd above the mean is like.  Or how slow and helpless they seem to that person.

Typically, somewhere around 1.5 to 2sd above the mean, it sinks in to someone what the profoundly gifted are capable of doing compared to them.

This is not just a cognitive thing.

There are tons of guys playing HS or D3 sport somewhere, have had virtually not training and never competed in shooting, never done any serious driving, never joined the military,  etc. that think they are  a hair’s breadth from the pros.  The guys  that were on the travel team and starting at a D1 school, have been on a squad with national champion GMs, or spent years going from carts to circle track to school from amateur to pro before stalling out mid rungs in street stocks or modified, failed a SOF pipeline,  etc. are cognizant of it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:39:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Interesting aside:

Werner von Braun's brother Magnus was another rocket scientist we grabbed before the Soviets could in Operation Paperclip.

When I was a kid, my dad was an executive at Chrysler Missile, and Herr von Braun used to come to our house for dinner.

I had no real idea who he was. Wish I could go back in time knowing what I know now.

ETA: Also met Willy Messerschmidt's daughter. I can't remember her name, but I remember her telling me how Otto Skorzeny used to come to her house when she was a kid.
View Quote

Did you live in the southwest? I know someone who was close to von braun as a kid.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:52:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:54:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's the kicker

tl;dr?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#42]
What are we looking at?
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 11:13:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What are we looking at?
View Quote

That's a 747 that got stuck in a tree.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are we looking at?

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 11:30:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What do rocket scientist says?

It’s not like dating a girl

Jim Gaffigan
View Quote

Um, I think they’d say to go correct your grammar

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:. Obviously there are a lot of people (slight majority perhaps?) who are flat out too stupid to succeed in these fields regardless of other qualities.
View Quote

You don’t have to look very far- there are 100’s in one building in DC

For example:
Guam will Capsize and Tip Over into the ocean Hank Johnson

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Aerospace engineering is just being able to find minutiae within sound and reasonable mechanical engineering.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I agree with what you're saying to an extent, but it is foolish to minimize the degree to which discipline, dedication, and determination differentiate people who succeed in such highly specialized fields from people who are of similar intelligence but pursue other careers. Those are still respectable traits.

While we often bemoan the fact that half the population is below average, we forget that half is above average. I wager (one cent, payable only face to face) you don't have to be as far into the tail of the intelligence distribution as many would expect in order to perform well in these programs and careers. Obviously there are a lot of people (slight majority perhaps?) who are flat out too stupid to succeed in these fields regardless of other qualities.
View Quote
It's important to realize the average person is not very smart.  

There is a shockingly small fraction of the population who is is smart enough and dedicated enough to make a difference,  and not so socially retarded it negates the first two attributes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 11:55:17 PM EDT
[#49]
President Donald Trump Revives 'Rocket Man' Nickname When Speaking About Kim Jong Un | MSNBC
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 12:06:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My BIL is a rocket scientist and works for a private contractor. I watched his PHD dissertation in aerospace engineering. I can tell you he is a lot smarter than the average person. A lot.
View Quote

I guarantee it. When my late uncle did his dissertation he got pissed at the lame questions he was being asked and walked out. His advisor ran after him to explain that the others didn’t understand his material well enough to question him on it. And then the .gov came in and classified it. Helped design the moon lander and taught at NYU for decades. Even in his last year his brain was allll there and at a whole other level. Next level. Remembered things from 50 years ago better than I remember what I had for lunch today
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top