Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 4:48:54 PM EDT

I have some left over from a deep sea fishing trip that has been in our freezer since '03.  Will it kill me?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't eat it. 6 months max.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#2]
You will be fine, although it could be a little freezer burned and dry.  For long term freezing, my dad taught me to cut up the fillets into pieces small enough to fit in a Cool Whip container, load the fish in, then top it off with water - leaving room for expansion, and freeze it like a giant fishcicle.  Keeps the freezer burn at bay.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]
If it has been continuously frozen there should be no problem. If you lost power and it thawed, I would send it to SGTAR15 for his cats.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have some left over from a deep sea fishing trip that has been in our freezer since '03.  Will it kill me?

Probably not, just give you a good case of the....well make sure you have toilet paper
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Deep freezer or top of a combo?  If continiously frozen, it's safe to eat...  If it was in a combo, it's safe, but will not taste very good...  If in a deep freeze, it'll be "OK"... If vacuum sealed in a deep freeze, it'll be "OK".... If vacuum sealed in sugar water, it'll be tasty.

If the above doesn't apply, toss it.... in a neighbor's trashcan....

I caught 5 tuna yesterday... spread it around the family... Got 25lbs in my fridge/freezer... It will be consumed in the next 4 weeks, because after that the taste changes... rapidly.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#6]
If frozen in water it will likely be just fine. If not, I'd pitch it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Deep freeze, frozen in water in zip lock bags.  I think I'm going to fry some up
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Deep freezer or top of a combo?  If continiously frozen, it's safe to eat...  If it was in a combo, it's safe, but will not taste very good...  If in a deep freeze, it'll be "OK"... If vacuum sealed in a deep freeze, it'll be "OK".... If vacuum sealed in sugar water, it'll be tasty.

If the above doesn't apply, toss it.... in a neighbor's trashcan....

I caught 5 tuna yesterday... spread it around the family... Got 25lbs in my fridge/freezer... It will be consumed in the next 4 weeks, because after that the taste changes... rapidly.

Listen to him ^^^ He knows his fish.  Lean fish keeps much longer than fatty fish (trout, salmon, tuna, etc.).  What kind of fish is it?  I've kept lean freshwater fish in a vacuum pack for two years easy.  But it is best to eat it ASAP within weeks for fatty fish and within 6 months for lean fish for best taste.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Trout and Snapper.  I fried it with corn meal... mmmmm..
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Just had some year 14 month old bluegill yesterday, tasted the same as last year.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If frozen in water it will likely be just fine. If not, I'd pitch it.

That's funny I thought that was a local trick.

Old fish goes in the smoker!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes the fish would be fine if it never thawed, however never eat PIE that smells like 2 year old fish.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Nope, I wouldn't eat it or take it internally. Refer to EMT/Trout thread.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Nope, I wouldn't eat it or take it internally. Refer to EMT/Trout thread.

That's so wrong!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top