Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/31/2005 4:48:54 PM EDT

I have some left over from a deep sea fishing trip that has been in our freezer since '03. Will it kill me?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:50:52 PM EDT
I wouldn't eat it. 6 months max.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:52:20 PM EDT
You will be fine, although it could be a little freezer burned and dry. For long term freezing, my dad taught me to cut up the fillets into pieces small enough to fit in a Cool Whip container, load the fish in, then top it off with water - leaving room for expansion, and freeze it like a giant fishcicle. Keeps the freezer burn at bay.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:52:31 PM EDT
If it has been continuously frozen there should be no problem. If you lost power and it thawed, I would send it to SGTAR15 for his cats.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:59:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BeetleBailey:
I have some left over from a deep sea fishing trip that has been in our freezer since '03. Will it kill me?

Probably not, just give you a good case of the....well make sure you have toilet paper
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:04:56 PM EDT
Deep freezer or top of a combo? If continiously frozen, it's safe to eat... If it was in a combo, it's safe, but will not taste very good... If in a deep freeze, it'll be "OK"... If vacuum sealed in a deep freeze, it'll be "OK".... If vacuum sealed in sugar water, it'll be tasty.

If the above doesn't apply, toss it.... in a neighbor's trashcan....

I caught 5 tuna yesterday... spread it around the family... Got 25lbs in my fridge/freezer... It will be consumed in the next 4 weeks, because after that the taste changes... rapidly.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:06:29 PM EDT
If frozen in water it will likely be just fine. If not, I'd pitch it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:06:51 PM EDT

Deep freeze, frozen in water in zip lock bags. I think I'm going to fry some up
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:17:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SciFiNut:
Deep freezer or top of a combo? If continiously frozen, it's safe to eat... If it was in a combo, it's safe, but will not taste very good... If in a deep freeze, it'll be "OK"... If vacuum sealed in a deep freeze, it'll be "OK".... If vacuum sealed in sugar water, it'll be tasty.

If the above doesn't apply, toss it.... in a neighbor's trashcan....

I caught 5 tuna yesterday... spread it around the family... Got 25lbs in my fridge/freezer... It will be consumed in the next 4 weeks, because after that the taste changes... rapidly.

Listen to him ^^^ He knows his fish. Lean fish keeps much longer than fatty fish (trout, salmon, tuna, etc.). What kind of fish is it? I've kept lean freshwater fish in a vacuum pack for two years easy. But it is best to eat it ASAP within weeks for fatty fish and within 6 months for lean fish for best taste.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:21:07 PM EDT

Trout and Snapper. I fried it with corn meal... mmmmm..
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:11:41 PM EDT
Just had some year 14 month old bluegill yesterday, tasted the same as last year.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:14:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rebel_Marine:
If frozen in water it will likely be just fine. If not, I'd pitch it.

That's funny I thought that was a local trick.

Old fish goes in the smoker!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:00:51 PM EDT
Yes the fish would be fine if it never thawed, however never eat PIE that smells like 2 year old fish.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:00:57 PM EDT
Nope, I wouldn't eat it or take it internally. Refer to EMT/Trout thread.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:02:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SS109:
Nope, I wouldn't eat it or take it internally. Refer to EMT/Trout thread.

That's so wrong!
Top Top