Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2010 9:01:06 AM EDT

or is it this

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Uhhh. . . . . is the first pic a crop duster?

––––––––

If I had a day to play (and felt lucky) I think I'd go with one of the STOL bush-planes....
~
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Pic 1 needs more visibility.  Like a P-51 style canopy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Both are win; I flew an Air Tractor my first summer out of the Navy. They are a hoot. I don't know what the second picture is but it looks hooty too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know if it's the same plane, but the dude that flies his over my ranch is nutz.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#5]

The first time I heard him fly over the house, I thought I was going to get straffed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Both are win; I flew an Air Tractor my first summer out of the Navy. They are a hoot. I don't know what the second picture is but it looks hooty too.

Second pic is a Spitfire.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#9]
had a couple pilots around here crash and burn last year doing that.  they seem to be a lot more cautious this year.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:16:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I think y'all are missing the fact that the cropduster is armed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

First thing I noticed.  I've always liked that plane and wouldn't mind having one under the right circumstances.  Not for carrying passengers or anything, just dicking around.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Seen it.  AT-802U.  Doubt the USAF will want it but Colombia?  Perfect application for killing FARC.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#14]
You'd think helicopters, with their ability to fly at lower speeds and therefore be more manouverable closer to the ground would work better around obsticals, they could fly low and slow and then dump the left or right foot on the peddels and peddel turn right up close to the obsticals.

The fack that helicopters arn't used I guess proves I know not of what I speak, cause surely if they were better / safer they would be used more often the fixed wing, so I rest my case.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Uhhh. . . . . is the first pic a crop duster?

––––––––

If I had a day to play (and felt lucky) I think I'd go with one of the STOL bush-planes....
~

Looks more like a tango duster.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#16]
That crop duster plane looks like a hoot to fly!
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Win...

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You'd think helicopters, with their ability to fly at lower speeds and therefore be more manouverable closer to the ground would work better around obsticals, they could fly low and slow and then dump the left or right foot on the peddels and peddel turn right up close to the obsticals.

The fack that helicopters arn't used I guess proves I know not of what I speak, cause surely if they were better / safer they would be used more often the fixed wing, so I rest my case.

I have seen some helicopter dusting, but generally helicopters cost more to fly and maintain that fixed wing.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have seen some helicopter dusting, but generally helicopters cost more to fly and maintain that fixed wing.

Hence the Bell 47.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hence the Bell 47.

They use a lot of those around here too. Those are really a trip to watch. They follow the exact path of the small planes, but they don't eat up nearly as much space to turn.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Love crop dusters

last summer I was out in the middle of nowhere on my bike rolling along at enthusiastic speeds caught something out of the corner of my eye and saw a crop duster shadowing me 25 yards to my right and maybe 10ft off the ground going  past me I downshifted and passed him we both slowed a bit and ran together for a 1/4 mile or so

till he had to pull up for trees went damn near vertical and gave me a wing wiggle
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Pic 1 needs more visibility.  Like a P-51 style canopy.

That's because it's actually a crash cage not a canopy...that thing is made to fly like a bat, and crash land like a brick.

I would love to fly one for fun...

ETA: anything with a five-blade prop counts as a win in my book.

DETA: The spit looks like the one at Reading Pa a few weeks back.  Not too many five-blade spits around (or any other variation for that matter)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top