Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2002 7:19:42 AM EDT
I just talked to an old USAF retiree (got out in 1969) nice guy, claimed that military personnel before Reagan took office never had to pay income tax.  Is that true?  I never heard that before.

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure if the change was Reagan era, but yes, military wages used to be non-taxable. Some of it still is.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:32:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if the change was Reagan era, but yes, military wages used to be non-taxable. Some of it still is.
View Quote

We always had to pay all tax's unless deployed to a combat zone,('Nam), in the '60's . Is that still the case??

(Edited to add I THINK that's how it worked)
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, I may be wrong on the non-taxable thing. I'm checking on it.

But, military didn't contribute to Social security until around 1957.

Currently, all military pay is tax exempt when in a combat zone.

Military "pay" is taxable (basic pay, parachutist pay, demolition duty pay, etc.)

Military "allowances" are not taxable (basic allowance for housing, family separation allowance)

Travel pay is for the most part non-taxable.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#4]
All I know is, during deployment to certain "danger zones" service members do not have to pay federal taxes. If you are in a critical MOS you try and time reenlistment so that you are in one of these zones when you actualy do reenlist so that any bonuses you might receive don't get the big tax bite taken out of them. I don't know about the other bit before Regan, the military being tax exempt. Sounds urban myth like to me.

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Post it in the veterans forum, somebody there HAS to have some memory left......
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pay is not taxable - allowances are (about 30% of my check).
View Quote

You've got that backwards.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top