Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2017 11:59:47 AM EDT
If they can't see the giant car, what makes you think they're going to see the little cone at the bumper?  I could understand a big work truck with a hitch hanging off the back or something, but a 4 door compact car?

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably a new corporate policy shown to reduce insurance claims by .1%.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#2]
the cone forces the driver to look behind his vehicle for small children
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Company car.
Some company's have retarded policy's.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Probably a new corporate policy shown to reduce insurance claims by .1%.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder how much they pay for the cones and how many they have lost?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Are vague thread titles really necessary?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is the answer, it has nothing to do with the vehicle size. It is about walking around your vehicle to make sure it is clear while picking up the cones.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#8]
The same idea behind auto part stores backing their delivery trucks into spaces.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#9]
That has been an BellSouth-AT&T policy for years. I knew a guy that worked for them, and he said he could lose his job if those cones were not put out...even parked in his own yard!

See the AT&T logo on the car....
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Guy the next street over brings his Atmos Energy work truck home and parks it in the street in front of his house. He usually parks at least a foot from the curb...and also puts two cones along side the damned thing on the side away from the curb. 

Makes it damned hard to drive down the street. You really have to slow to a crawl to keep from hitting either the cones or the car parked on the other side of the street. 

Maybe somebody should run over his cones a few times. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That has been an BellSouth-AT&T policy for years. I knew a guy that worked for them, and he said he could lose his job if those cones were not put out...even parked in his own yard!

See the AT&T logo on the car....
View Quote
I know a few AT&T employees, and it is AT&T company policy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Company Policy.

Most Power Companies do the same thing.

The purpose is for the driver to do a 360 walk as part of the equipment inspection.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Free cone.

They have been doing that in my AO for many years.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Someone in their Safety Department got the email with this picture.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I was just at my son's new place, kinda of a duplex townhouse setup.  His neighbor works for directv, installer with van.  Has to put cones behind in his own driveway...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Someone in their Safety Department got the email with this picture.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/images/circle-of-safety.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#19]
My company just implemented a two cone rule for our work trucks. We need to have a come at the from and one at the rear when we park. There was a pallet of them at the shop and my boss points to it and says, 'Make sure you take two cones, The Tallest.'

My response was, "I've been doing this job for 17 years and have never needed cones. What makes you think I need them now?" I still don't have the stupid comes on my truck.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I used to be required to do that.  Occasionally, management would get anal about safety cones but then they were USUALLY the worst offenders for not using them.

In 2011, there was a "bounty/bonus" for supervisors for writing up a tech who did not place cones. EVERY supv was required to write up at least two employees per month.  One guy was known for "hunting" techs to get his bonus.  He'd find out where their trouble ticket route would take him/her and follow from a distance.  It was alway nice to hear when all four of the valve stems on his company vehicle were yanked off.  Someone got his personal vehicle too.

Then there was the concrete filled cone that made the rounds. I suppose now that I'm retired I can disclose that I originated that one 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Bet somebody got an award for that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Company policies can be all kinds of stupid.

We have one where we are supposed to get out and walk around the truck every 15 feet while backing up.

One of those rules nobody follows of course, but it's your ass if you back into something
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#24]
It's called the "Circle of safety."

Originally when it was developed no cones were involved. The cones were added because it was impossible for some employees to perform a 360 walk around without being treated like a child.

I ran a small fleet of tow truck and we mandated a " Circle of safety" walk every time the truck was moved.
I used to mock the shit out of it until I saw it works in real life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top