Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 4:59:32 PM EDT
I'm going to be flying in a couple of months.

Has anyone tried it before?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#1]
You need line of sight to the sat.  It might work pressed up against a window, but the signal strength will probably not penetrate the fuselage.  They don't work inside most buildings, too.  Weak signal.

.....and devices that receive a signal are not authorized for use aboard an aircraft.  If someone sees you, reports you, and you have anything but "yes sir" "yes maam" when you are told to turn it off, you can be charged with failure to follow instructions of a flight crew.  They are very clear about what you can use and the specific list is in all of the in-flight magazines.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Get a window seat, make sure you have it on and have acquired satellites before taxiing, and it'll be fine.  (mine works on .mil acft under those conditions anyway)
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe you can pick enough sats up if you are near the window...

They really don't have enough slope to grant a slice of sky, like a vehicle windsheild offers, allowing you to rest the GPS on the dash.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You need line of sight to the sat.  It might work pressed up against a window, but the signal strength will probably not penetrate the fuselage.  They don't work inside most buildings, too.  Weak signal.

Hmmmm...I've never seen a satellite.

Mine does work inside buildings though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I <<AHEM>> know a guy that took his GPS on a plane from Seattle to L.A.  No workie, couldn't talk to the sats.  They did ask specifically that all GPS units be turned off.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#6]
don't panic when the barometric sensor says 3300'.

Yer pressurized.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I use my Magellan on every flight. It works, but you have to hold it to the window. It's actually pretty dang cool.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

.....and devices that receive transmit a signal are not authorized for use aboard an aircraft.  If someone sees you, reports you, and you have anything but "yes sir" "yes maam" when you are told to turn it off, you can be charged with failure to follow instructions of a flight crew.  They are very clear about what you can use and the specific list is in all of the in-flight magazines.  

That's why devices like cell phones aren't allowed.  A handheld rcvr poses no threat to the navigation systems, since it is not a transmitter/transciever.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Works great, especially if you have a window to the south.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I used mine all the time until they changed the allowed electronic devices list.  It was pretty cool though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I use my Magellan on every flight. It works, but you have to hold it to the window. It's actually pretty dang cool.

What is the fastest speed it ever showed?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#12]
My old GPS maxed out at 99 knots so you had to buy the aviation version for $600 more. But 99 knots was just fine for my Cessna 150 !
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want to say 490, but I swear I've seen 500 and some change.

It's entirely possible that my GPS isn't perfectly accurate at 35,000 ft. I know the speed is dead nuts on while driving, though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I've done it, but only with the GPS right against the window.  As others have stated, they've changed the rules since I did it, and don't allow GPS's to be running while in flight.

Too bad- I used to really enjoyed seeing an amazing mountain range, and knowing what state and county it was in, for a possible future vacation.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#16]
If you're worried about getting caught get something like this:

www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GPT-700&cat=GPS

Use it with your laptop, and they won't have a clue what you are doing.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I have used a Magellan handheld several times while flying.  Works well.  I just put it up to the window.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#18]
A little off topic but I seem to remember that in the event of another domestic attack the Department of Defense, or whoever regulates the commercial use of the military's GPS system, will deactivate the commercial access so that terrorists using the devices will no longer be able to.

Something to think about if the thing suddenly stops working...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:00:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?

It means "nevermind".
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Works great, especially if you have a window to the south.

A southerly view is only important when utilizing Geosychronous satellites such as communications satellites since they are all along the equator.  GPS satellites are all polar orbiting meaning that they actually are running north to south about 900 miles above the surface of the Earth (as opposed to 23300 miles for GEO).
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want to say 490, but I swear I've seen 500 and some change.

It's entirely possible that my GPS isn't perfectly accurate at 35,000 ft. I know the speed is dead nuts on while driving, though.

How about 578 MPH?

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I have used mine flying my King Air! Works great! Just stuck it up in the window above the dashboard. Though I have never seen 578mph in my C90 even with a tailwind!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a mil issue Garmin 12xl that works every time at any altitude.  I just have to turn it on secretly.  No other reason than to see how fast and how high we are.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I just used mine last week on a Delta flight out of ATL, one of the flight crew asked where we were two or three times, but other than that, I had no problem.

+1 on the window seat.

I fly again Tuesday and can check the flight mag. to see if it has changed.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I used my eTrex about 18 months ago on a commerical flight.  The safety card listing prohibited items wasn't clear on GPS, so I asked the flight attendant and she said it was fine.  Just had to hold it up against the window; it took a couple minutes, but it found the satellites.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I just used mine last week on a Delta flight out of ATL, one of the flight crew asked where we were two or three times, but other than that, I had no problem.

+1 on the window seat.

I fly again Tuesday and can check the flight mag. to see if it has changed.

Please do that.  I never had them ask me to turn mine off and recall nothing about recieve-only items being forbidden.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I found this page on Delta (who I fly most of the time) scroll down toward the bottom.

www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/inflight_services/connectivity/personal_electronic_devices/index.jsp

That is not the final answer, but I have found Delta to keep their page up to date pretty well
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I found this page on Delta (who I fly most of the time) scroll down toward the bottom.

www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/inflight_services/connectivity/personal_electronic_devices/index.jsp

That is not the final answer, but I have found Delta to keep their page up to date pretty well

You can use these while the plane is at the gate with the doors open, after the plane has taken off and reached its cruising altitude and before it begins to descend for landing, and after the plane has landed and is taxiing to the gate.

Personal digital assistants
Personal computer games
GPS (global positioning satellite) systems

Thank you.  So much for them being prohibited.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

.....and devices that receive a signal are not authorized for use aboard an aircraft.  If someone sees you, reports you, and you have anything but "yes sir" "yes maam" when you are told to turn it off, you can be charged with failure to follow instructions of a flight crew.  They are very clear about what you can use and the specific list is in all of the in-flight magazines.  

You can use these while the plane is at the gate with the doors open, after the plane has taken off and reached its cruising altitude and before it begins to descend for landing, and after the plane has landed and is taxiing to the gate.

Personal digital assistants
Personal computer games
GPS (global positioning satellite) systems

Seems that they ARE authorized for use.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I used mine on a United Flight to Hawaii and got 2nd place in the "halfway to Hawaii" contest.  Stuck up against the window it works pretty well.  I think I was getting around 580 mph on the way back at one time.  Garmin Map 76S
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#33]
just used it last week on southwest, it says they are OK on like page 272 or 273 of their inflight magazines.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By John Parker:
..... in my C90 <snip>

Oh how I'd like to be able to use that phrase in a sentance
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I was using Street Atlas USA and my USB powered GPS the last time I flew and it was pretty neat. Definately need a window seat for it to work.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I did it on the way home on leave.  It works.  The stewardess caught me and made me shut it off though.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Guess that it is air line to air line thing

You have to love consistency, huh

Sort of like taking your shoes off in one airport, and not another.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#39]
They may be "receivers" but like just about any piece of consumer electronics they also emit RFI.  It's probably easier to ban all of them than to try to get comprehensive and updated lists of "safe" units, because as you can see some guys don't care about the rules, and you know some of the guys around here would be assholes about their unit being safe unless specifically banned using their latest software update.

If you want to see satellites, on a clear night, with at least fair sky visibility look for stars moving North to South, won't take too long before you see a few.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Hmmmm...I've never seen a satellite.

Mine does work inside buildings though.

You've never looked up and seen the satellites passing over at night?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Mine worked pretty good inside a 46 - under the fuselage and rotors.   In areas with less coverage I had to hold it out the window to get a lock sometimes.  Should work better in an airliner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top