Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/3/2006 9:00:27 AM EDT
I'm thinking of building some furniture (tables), and once I get to the finish stage I've got to decide whether to put a nice finish on it, or whether to beat on it with chains and rub the finish off at places to give it the shabby antique look. And although I like that look, it just seems sorta lame...

Like people that buy already worn out jeans and rub the finish off thier AKs
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:01:08 AM EDT
You pay wayyy too much for good furniture to intentionally ding it up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:04:57 AM EDT
Why would you build tables and then ruin them?

If you want beat up furniture then go to a garage sale.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:05:42 AM EDT
what kind of wood? cheaper, no character wood may actually look better distressed and antiqued. don't think id do it to inlayed walnut though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:06:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tc556guy:
You pay wayyy too much for good furniture to intentionally ding it up.

Good Point!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:27:08 AM EDT
I've only distressed used furniture that had a terrible finish,and was being painted over.
Any wood of better quality than white pine, I wouldn't distress.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:33:31 AM EDT
Yes........It is lame...

The whole predistressed thing is supposed to look like its time worn, sort of faux antique...

What it looks like is some idiot took a cheap piece of furniture and intentionally pockmarked it with a nail. Funny, but I never seen honest wear that looked like little nail holes...

Predistressed sucks...

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:34:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2006 9:34:36 AM EDT by frozenny]
oops shitty hit the submit button twice thingy
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:35:42 AM EDT
Yes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:50:13 PM EDT
GF wanted a table like that... We found the exact same table at an unfinished funiture store for for a lot less. I let my nephew beat on it with various things, finished it, let it sit out for a week, scraped some of the finish off... Distressed !
I drug it around the back yard behind my truck a few times for good measure.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:00:51 PM EDT
It's not lame if you like French styling
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:06:23 PM EDT
I sell paint. People come in all of the time wanting distressed, antiqued, and cracked finishes on their furniture and cabinets.

When I sell them the paint and supplies to do it they bitch at me if the can of paint or stain I give them is dented.

Its cool for $4,000 cabinets to be dinged up but if you gotta buy a dented can of stain to get the job done the shit is going to hit the fan!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:09:59 PM EDT
just make some furniture....when it gets fucked up, dont freak.

when I bought my last pickup, I didn't fuck the bed up by loading rock into it on day one...but it's fucked up now w 220k on the clock.

I dont go out to eat Mexican and smear picante on my shirt off the bat, even though I realize some may end up there as I wait for the meal....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:11:41 PM EDT
It's lame when they do it to guitars.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:15:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Waldo0506:
I sell paint. People come in all of the time wanting distressed, antiqued, and cracked finishes on their furniture and cabinets.

When I sell them the paint and supplies to do it they bitch at me if the can of paint or stain I give them is dented.

Its cool for $4,000 cabinets to be dinged up but if you gotta buy a dented can of stain to get the job done the shit is going to hit the fan!

Now THAT's funny !
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:16:45 PM EDT
the only thing gayer than distressed furniture is a distressed AR
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:26:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2006 2:26:29 PM EDT by pv74]
Yeah, I think the distressed look is teh gay...especially on the cheap particle board crap they call furniture...

But think about this for a minute... I bet most of us wear distressed jeans...

When I was a kid, I wore regular blue jeans...no one had heard of "stone washed"...

These days, I think regular jeans look wierd...I always buy stone washed jeans...

Jeans tumbled in a machine with real stones, so they look old...

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:28:38 PM EDT
Top Top