Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2014 7:44:17 AM EDT
http://www.nytimes.com/1983/09/28/business/atari-parts-are-dumped.html
Atari Parts Are Dumped
Published: September 28, 1983

With the video game business gone sour, some manufacturers have been dumping their excess game cartridges on the market at depressed prices.

Now Atari Inc., the leading video game manufacturer, has taken dumping one step farther.

The company has dumped 14 truckloads of discarded game cartridges and other computer equipment at the city landfill in Alamogordo, N.M. Guards kept reporters and spectators away from the area yesterday as workers poured concrete over the dumped merchandise. An Atari spokesman said the equipment came from Atari's plant in El Paso, Tex., which used to make videogame cartridges but has now been converted to recycling scrap. Atari lost $310.5 million in the second quarter, largely because of a sharp drop in video game sales.
View Quote

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/atari-landfill-in-new-mexico-to-be-dug-up-on-saturday-ars-will-be-on-scene/
Published: April 22, 2014
The site in Alamogordo, New Mexico, where Atari is rumored to have buried some 3.5 million copies of the video game cartridge E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial is set to be dug up this Saturday.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I played this terrible game.  This comment at the bottom of the article lets me know this guy has played it as well.

If anyone falls into the excavated pit, just remember to extend your neck really far and you can float right out.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#2]
You need to logon to Netflix and add Code Monkeys to your list
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I played this terrible game.  This comment at the bottom of the article lets me know this guy has played it as well.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If anyone falls into the excavated pit, just remember to extend your neck really far and you can float right out.

I played it too.  It truly was a piece of shit.  I don't recall much about it other than getting out of pits.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Raiders of the Lost Ark was messed up in a good way. That one was messed up in a Someone Had a Bad Trip While Programming way.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Today's the day.  Haven't heard any news yet of how the progress is going.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Raiders of the Lost Ark was almost as bad.

Almost.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the 80s trip, man.

My thumb hurts for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I played it as a kid also.  I didn't remember much so I found a ROM of it last year.  Holy shit is it horrible.  You randomly fall into the pit constantly.  The whole game doesn't make any sense.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Rumor is that Atari spent so much time rubbing their hands together, laughing manically at the money they anticipated making, that they never bothered to , ya know, MAKE THE GAME.

So one dude had to rush it out, by himself, in two weeks time for the holiday season.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Why in the fuck did they trash all that stuff in Alamagordo NM? It's town of nothing in the middle of nowhere. If Holloman Airforce didn't exist neither would Alamagordo.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#11]
E.T: The game that crashed the industry.

EA should remake it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#13]
That was one of the lamest games made.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#14]
oddly, I remember playing this POS game....was it even possible to beat the damn thing?  I remember trying to get all of the parts so he could phone home, but no one I recall ever beat the thing.

I also recall the Pacman version for 2600 sucked...badly.

Conveniently, I have a pacman arcade to play it correctly.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

oddly, I remember playing this POS game....was it even possible to beat the damn thing?  I remember trying to get all of the parts so he could phone home, but no one I recall ever beat the thing.

View Quote

Yes, I beat the game.  

It was confusing as hell, but if you played it enough you could get the general gist of what they wanted you to do.

IIRC the ending was just as dumb as the game itself.  Usually you get some kind of "good job!" or victory scene or something.  Pretty sure the game just... ended.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Just a few of the Atari things I still have from the '80s.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You need to logon to Netflix and add Code Monkeys to your list
View Quote

That was an awesome show. It's a shame it didn't have a longer run.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#18]
For whatever reason, my uncle gave my grandmother and Atari and a tray full of PROMs w/ games on them and a little card with a socket that plugged into the cartridge slot.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I still have a Starpath Superzapper and Phazer Patrol game.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I actually have E.T. and a working 2600, still no desire to hook it up
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I live in El Paso so it's not too far to go check it out BUT we've got a good old fashioned southwest sandstorm going on right now and I'd rather not go out and get sand in my eyes.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Hmmm, I have relatives in Alamogordo.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I played it as a kid also.  I didn't remember much so I found a ROM of it last year.  Holy shit is it horrible.  You randomly fall into the pit constantly.  The whole game doesn't make any sense.
View Quote

Ah yes...

E.T. and it's equally awful sibling Friday the 13th for Nintendo.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Shockingly, the ET game for the Atari 800 computer is GOOD. It's got all neighborhood and forest areas with agents zipping around, and a warmer/colder sound as you get near a piece of ET's communicator, till you finally see it. Once you pick up any piece, all agents with a sightline of you go into fast pursuit, and you have to bring each piece back to the house. You can also hide in storm drains. Once you get all the pieces, you need to race ET through the neighborhoods, hills and forest to the landing site in a short countdown before the spaceship lands. Some decent designers must have done it, especially for 1982.

I guess they couldn't adapt it to the 2600.

The whole map: Surprisingly large for the era.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#25]
So the plant changed over to recycling scrap and dumped it's crap in a landfill? Wow.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
E.T: The game that crashed the industry.

EA should remake it.
View Quote

Well played.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Ah yes...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah yes...

yes i had both and god they were bad.

although at least with ET it let you know very quickly that you would never put that cartridge back in again i would go back to friday the 13th every once in a while thinking im older now maybe i missed something.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I played it too.  It truly was a piece of shit.  I don't recall much about it other than getting out of pits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can revive flowers, too.  That's about it, though.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#29]
They need to have this guy at the site when digging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiz95K1ngiI

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top