Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2011 12:19:31 AM EDT
There's some show on TV called "Chopped" that my wife likes and I sometimes watch with her.  The premise of the show is that four non-famous chefs are given random and usually weird ingredients and then have to cook a meal using all those ingredients (plus whatever else they want).  Their meals are judged by famous/successful chefs.  One person is eliminated (or "chopped) after each round, eventually resulting in a winner.

On a recent show, one of the ingredients was octopus.  One of the chefs, a practicing Jew, said something about how she had no experience cooking with Octopus because she tries to keep kosher and doesn't use shellfish.  I just wrote that off as a religious rule that wasn't based on scientific classification.  But then another contestant commented that she didn't eat octopus because she's allergic to shellfish.  That made me wonder...

So is octopus considered a shellfish according to the rules of Judaism?  Does it have something in it that would react with people who are allergic to shellfish?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:26:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Dunno about the Kosher laws, but I would bet that Octopus are classified with Mollusks for a reason...
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:27:27 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a mollusk indeed. A cephalopod
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:31:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Octopuses are Molluscs.

It goes like this

Animalia - Mollusca - Cephalopoda - Octopoda

Molluscs include tons of animals like scallops and others. Cephalopoda has squids and cuttlefish and octopus and such. Octopoda means the family of octopuses. (octopi? I dunno)

There are about 300 octopus species. They are symmetrical bilaterally which means both sides are symmetrical to each other. They have a beak, which is a nasty scary little fucking thing and I fucking hate octopuses.

They taste meh too.

Dunno about kosher.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:41:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dunno about the Kosher laws, but I would bet that Octopus are classified with Mollusks for a reason...

I remember learning that they were mollusks back when I was a kid in science class.  So were those contestants on the show talking out of their asses?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:02:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Their beak is the shell.

To bad they did not feed raw blue ringed octopi to the retarded judges.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:18:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Never had octopus. Squid is freakin delicious though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:20:54 AM EDT
[#7]
nevermind
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:05:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Their beak is the shell.

I thought they had a hard part of their body(not the beak) that was considered their "shell".
Off to wiki

Edit-No hard part to their body except their beak. They do have 3 hearts though.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:22:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their beak is the shell.

I thought they had a hard part of their body(not the beak) that was considered their "shell".
Off to wiki

Edit-No hard part to their body except their beak. They do have 3 hearts though.

Octopuses have no internal or external skeleton (although some species have a vestigial remnant of a shell inside their mantle), allowing them to squeeze through tight places.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:41:44 AM EDT
[#10]
There's two kinds of octopus.

One kind does have a hard shell and such

The other more numerous kinds has nothing hard in it besides the beak
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:54:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Mmmmmm octopus   Cooked right it's delicious! Used to have seasons stone crabbing when about every trap i hauled had one in it, they crawled in and ate every MF in the trap. Good eats! especially in spaghetti sauce.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Octopoda means the family of octopuses. (octopi? I dunno)

Octopods.

Quoted:
I fucking hate octopuses.

Quoted:
Dunno about kosher.

You must be a Nazi, then.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Octopuses are Molluscs.

It goes like this

Molluscs include tons of animals like scallops and others. Cephalopoda has squids and cuttlefish and octopus and such. Octopoda means the family of octopuses. (octopi? I dunno)

There are about 300 octopus species. They are symmetrical bilaterally which means both sides are symmetrical to each other. They have a beak, which is a nasty scary little fucking thing and I fucking hate octopuses.

They taste meh too.

Dunno about kosher.

Octopoda IS the plural.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Octopuses are Molluscs.

It goes like this

They taste meh too.

Dunno about kosher.

Octopoda IS the plural.

dude, whatever. I pulled that stuff off wikipedia to help OP since I like learning new stuff too.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I just caught one diving yesterday and ate it. It was delicious.

I boiled it in beer and then breaded and fried the legs. Mmmmmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#17]
According to Jewish dietary law - octopus, crab, lobster, clam, swordfish and sturgeon are not Kosher (trayf).

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
According to Jewish dietary law - octopus, crab, lobster, clam, swordfish and sturgeon are not Kosher (trayf).

Why not swordfish and sturgeon?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Fish that don't have scales...meaning anything that lives in the water that doesn't have scales...aren't allowed.

No,it doesn't make much sense to the rest of us that carp are OK but catfish aren't but whatever,their silly rules are their silly rules.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top