Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2001 7:27:03 PM EDT
That's the question, The reason being that in the past 2 months I have had 3 packages searched or accidentally opened and resealed by UPS. Two of them were next day air packages that were held extra days with no reason given at all. The companies that I ordered stuff from even had to investigate why the delays, and the UPS response to them was "We don't know why its late" The first time this happened I figured, OK it's NY things have been a little strange here-no big deal. The second time it happened I thought may be a coincidence. Third time- I smell B.S.
The first package was replacement lenses for shooting glasses, The second car parts and the Third was a glass gift item. Not your really dangerous or devious items? If they are searching this kinda stuff I could only imagine what else they are opening and re-taping, Watch out. Does anyone know if UPS have the right to search your packages? Did they announce something in the Chaos that I missed? Do you think I can sue?
                        JerrY
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#1]
UPS is a POS company. As far as I'm concerned, their stance is that they're basically not responsible for anything that they do. I've had packages lost, delayed for weeks, etc. with them, and for the most part they really don't give a rat's ass. My advice is to not use them when possible.

Good luck,

Robby
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#2]
UPS, as well as FedEx and the USPS, reserve the right to open and inspect all packages sent.  It's in the small print on the shipping forms for the commercial companies, and it is law for the USPS.  They are inspecting for something that is a hazard to themselves or their equipment.

There are courier services which will provide boxes that you lock with your padlock and they deliver the package.  Of course it costs a lot more, and you have to plan ahead for the recipient to have the same keys, or mail the keys via a different service.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
A while back UPS announced that they're tired of paying out insurance claims, so if there were packages that they thought weren't packaged correctly they would fix it.  What they're probably doing is giving it the shake test and if it seems there isn't enough packing material they're fixing the problem.  I think they announced this a couple months before 9-11.  Don't quote me on this, but I thought I remembered hearing this.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Expect any package you send through UPS to get destroyed or stolen, especially if it goes ground.  We have boxes of computer parts disappear several times a year.  I was told by our regular driver that stuff gets stolen all the time.  Your packages may have been opened by a potential thief.  Many of the monitor boxes that come in look like they have been kicked off the back of a semi.  The worst time of year is Christmas.  ALWAYS insure your package, and box it well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Kinda like the Olyarms Plinker that's misplaced, lost we mean it's in Mesquite.  No its, well we have a tracer on it.  They are completely clueless about their own firearms policy when you need to ship them and then they loose a damn rifle.  They are idiots and incompetent for the most part.

Craig
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Do yourself a favor and start using FedEx. FedEx ground rates are unbelievably cheap and for the tracking precision and reliability, they can't be beat.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Says right on the customer counter here that UPS will open and correctly re-package all items.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Mules...ship everything on mules...small items on pigeons!

medcop
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Mules...ship everything on mules...small items on pigeons!

medcop
View Quote

That's funny.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#10]
UPS changed their firearm shipping policy a while back because, if I recall correctly from news reports, they were unable to get control of the theft of firearms by their employees. I would also guess they are trying to avoid bad publicity like the USPS recieved by saying they are being vigilant and lessen any possible negative impact if someone uses them to deliver a nasty.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#11]
cough...Waco...cough

Anybody remember exactly why the ATF raided the Dividian Compound ?

Oh yeah, it was becuase the UPS Delivery Person called them to report these wack jobs receiving Grenades. Yet, they explained that they were Dummy Grenades. E.G: Empty And Unfuzed.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey medcop,

Maybe you should look into swallows for the airmail service.  After all, if Monty Python is to be believed, a swallow (African or European??) is capable of carrying a coconut...
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Oh, BTW, my FFL had to order a left-hand-configured UPS THREE TIMES before one was actually delivered to his shop.  The other two were stolen by UPS employees in transit, one of which was eventually found on a crankhead and recovered.  The one good thing is that UPS pays insurance claims without much hassle.

-Troy
View Quote

Man it must be real hard to get good help now a dayz.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 1:28:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 3:49:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Many of the monitor boxes that come in look like they have been kicked off the back of a semi.
View Quote

That is exactly what we used to do to them.  Made the neatest sound when the tube let go!

Payback was a cast iron bitch.[IMG]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/contrib/edoom/let_it_all_out.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:24:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I HATE UPS!
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:26:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Platform000,  Customers pay good money to have their packages shipped to them in good condition and in a timely manner. Causing customers the additional frustration and inconvenience of waiting longer for their packages to arrive (because you choose to act like a Democrat) is wrong, not cool. I'll pray for you Bubba.
View Quote

No need bro.  The mistreatment of employees by this organization is something only someone who has experienced it can understand.  

If you think for one minute people will endure the kind of abuse we received and not respond, you must also believe in the tooth fairy.

Walk a mile in another man's shoes before telling him what he should or should not do.

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hey medcop,

Maybe you should look into swallows for the airmail service.  After all, if Monty Python is to be believed, a swallow (African or European??) is capable of carrying a coconut...
View Quote

It could grasp it by the husk.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#20]
This UPS tale is from S.W.F.A. the scope people.
Customer returned a scope due to damage.  SWAFA files a claim.  UPS replies package was not properly packed.  SWAFA replies with this question "How do you pack a scope so that it will survive being run-over by a truck ?"  There was a very nice tire track imprinted on the box.
Beware of any company that detests its' employees.
Switch to Fed Ex ground or three day-air.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 7:03:06 AM EDT
[#21]
UPS will not pick-up a firearm even from an FFL in the Oklahoma City area.  Too much employee theft.  Now they will deliver 10,000 firearms but will pick-up none.
Apparently these UPS employees only steal pick-ups and not deliveries.  yeah, unhuh
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top