Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 3:31:45 AM EDT
My Dad just called saying that he saw a deer get ran over on his way to work a few minutes ago.  He went ahead and loaded it in the back of his truck, and was wondering if it is legal to go ahead and bring it home to at least get the tenderloin out of it.  

Any thoughts, other than SSS?

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:38:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Some places I have lived you can do this:

Call hiway patrol, local police, or DNR and they can issue a "tag" for just such purposes.

Saves the state or county in clean-up costs.

Check local regulations.  This may not work everywhere.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:40:08 AM EDT
[#2]
In Maine....

It's the only legal way to hunt post-season.  That's how I tagged my first moose.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:46:19 AM EDT
[#3]
if it is illegal, i have about half a dozen friends who should be doing life.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:48:35 AM EDT
[#4]
My dad did this a lot when I was a kid,  It's not legal anymore here.

The meat always tasted like crud .  I was told it was from adrenaline  the deer put out when it was hit.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:51:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:59:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Call hiway patrol, local police, or DNR and they can issue a "tag" for just such purposes.

This is the case in Virginia.

Michigan too.

\\thread hijack on \\

Hey, what's up with people that don't put their state on their profile ?.

//thread hijack off//
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:10:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was told it was from adrenaline  the deer put out when it was hit.

I imagine most deer who are hunted the old-fashioned way have an adrenaline dump too.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:18:28 AM EDT
[#8]
It depends on what state you live in. In GA, we don't care. they're like lice here.

GR
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:19:12 AM EDT
[#9]
In indiana it is OK, you just have to report it.  The person hitting the deer has first dibs.  I was on a call list with the sheriffs department for deer that the driver did not want.

Ive only hit one deer, and that was in New York.  I was not allowed to keep the deer, and it stayed on the side of the road festering and rotting until it was either cleaned up by a road crew, or one of the folks who's houses were close by got tired of the smell.  I was pissed as I wanted the deer meat to offset the cost of my deductable!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:23:11 AM EDT
[#10]
It's legal in TN.

A friend of mine who is a state senator sponsored the bill several years ago and got it approved. It was called the "Road Kill Bill", seriously.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:29:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Illegal in Texas
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:48:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Hypothetically speaking, let's say this occurred in NC.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:49:59 AM EDT
[#13]
When I lived out west, I knew of an ER doc that would ask the ambulance crews to bring him the elk that had been hit in game vs. car encounters.  He always had his freezer full!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:59:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:02:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My Dad just called saying that he saw a deer get ran over on his way to work a few minutes ago.  He went ahead and loaded it in the back of his truck, and was wondering if it is legal to go ahead and bring it home to at least get the tenderloin out of it.  

Any thoughts, other than SSS?

Thanks.  

Like everyone says, call the game warden or police.  The person who hit the deer gets first shot at it.  It is common sense to let the game warden know otherwise you may have some 'splaining to do if someone sees it hanging in your yard out of season.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:14:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't ask, don't tell.

I met the fellow that holds the Ga record for cleaning, skinning and quartering a deer, IIRC it was about 6 minutes from "on the tailgate" to "wrapped in brown paper".

Take the hams and backstraps.  Easily done in under 20 minutes with a pocket knife, no need to hang in the garage.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:23:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Called the Wildlife Commission Enforcement Division number around 7:45am, and the nice lady had not a clue.  Said that it "should be" legal for the person who hit the animal to keep it, but she "thought" it was considered contraband for anyone else.  Gave me the number of a local Game Warden, but he does not answer the phone.  She did tell me that I could call Dept. of Transportation to come dispose of the carcass.    
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:29:39 AM EDT
[#18]
We would take them to jail, trustees would clean the deer and feed it to the prisoners.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:34:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd just consider it collecting payment for the damages to your vehicle caused by the animal.

Hokie:

A moose? Was your vehicle able to drive away?  Those are big suckers.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:36:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Call first. You could get in trouble for poaching.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:36:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Legal in PA, but you hafta get a tag # from fish& game. call the local LEOs and they'll fill you in.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I've never even seen one of the Rabbit Cops out of their trucks, and you guys are worried about getting caught with a roadkilled deer?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#24]
My dad did it awhihle back,in Mo called the MO dept of Cons. and they told him Ok.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:53:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Ive only hit one deer, and that was in New York.  I was not allowed to keep the deer, and it stayed on the side of the road festering and rotting until it was either cleaned up by a road crew, or one of the folks who's houses were close by got tired of the smell.  I was pissed as I wanted the deer meat to offset the cost of my deductable!

They allow you to keep a deer or give to someone else in NY now. There are approx. 60,000 deer killed by autos in NY every year.

From the NYS DEC:

"If the deer is dead, a law enforcement officer can
issue you a possession tag which allows you to take
the deer. Deer meat, or venison, is very tasty and
healthy meat. If you can’t use the deer, the officer can
issue the possession tag to another person that you
designate who might be able to use the meat."
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:55:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
if it is illegal, i have about half a dozen friends who should be doing life.

Same here.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:56:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
In indiana it is OK, you just have to report it.  The person hitting the deer has first dibs.  I was on a call list with the sheriffs department for deer that the driver did not want.

You got boned!  the NYS law allows specifically that a person owning a vehicle damaged in a car deer accident is entitled to that deer, (presuming it is dead and not run off).  The only current exception is in the area that has Chronic Wasting Disease around Utica.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:58:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Depends on your state, in NC is kewl.
I've done it before, and when I was loading it up a State Trooper stopped to check it out.
He even asked for some of the meat.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#29]
In North Royalton, Ohio....you can just get a tag from the police and take the deer home......I'm not sure if you can Field dress it on the side of the road , though.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top