Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2002 6:02:30 PM EDT
Why is it that when you want to buy something off of this site or gun broker or any where on line...you meet and deal with some of the nicest folks you would ever meet...
But when you go into your local gun store what ever it may be....willing to spend hundreds of your hard earned money...you have to deal with some of the biggest ( A ) holes in the business..I mean what is up with some of these gun shops...They act like everything they have is made of glass and can be only looked at from afar..if you are lucky enough to have someone wait on you..then its like your wasting my time...Its like if every Grocery store or dept store treated you like this you would go hungry and do with out anything...Maybe its just our area or maybe its me ...tell me what you think...
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#1]
People at my gunshops are pretty nice people. However one time I went to Cabelas with my father and asked to see a AR15 they had sitting behind the counter. Guy said he could give it to my dad but not me because I'm not over 21. I looked at him like WTF? I'm the one thats gonna be using my money to pay for it I should be able to see it. What do you think I was gonna do, walk out of the store with it? or mabye break the trigger lock off and go shoot someone? I mean come on. Never again have I bought a gun from Cabelas. Doesn't really matter, people at my gunshops let me see whatever I want and are generally nice people (except for the ocasional duck hunter that thinks he knows more about an AR15 than me [;)] ). Generally very nice people, and usually cheaper than Cabelas too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Pappy,
if you don't like the gun merchants in your area,then go apply for your FFL and take away their customers by treating people the way you would want to be treated. LOL

Pappy is right. There are a few nice guys that will talk to you in our area, but for the most part, they all act like you are bothering them.

What happened to the concept of "helping the customer" and having friendly courteous service?

Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes it's the same here in Ia. The big you're wasting my time. Unless you've bought their before they treat you like you don't have the money to back up what your looking at.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I stop in every couple of weeks or so at a local fun shop, usually just looking. Generally OK guys, prices not completely out of line, great selection. Last time I was in, the guy asks me if I'm looking for anything in particular.

Me: "Not really. Just looking."
Him: "Aw, man, looking's no fun." Grabs a Sig P229 out of the case right in front of me. "Holding is a lot more fun."

We got to talking, and 20 minutes later, I was one Ruger Bisley Vaquero heavier.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I second what HermanSnerd said.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I make it a point to go visit gun stores whenever i move or am just visiting a new town.  

Not all dealers are jerks but I think that there are some "eccentric" personalities running gun stores.  I think that it is amazing that in these razor thin margins out there that there are not more customer friendly gun stores out there.

I like to think back fondly of Alaska Shooter's Supply in Anchorage...  used to be run out of a guy's garage.  You could walk in there and they would offer you a cup of coffee from a big silver military type coffee pot (the monster percolator types) and you could drink coffee and fondle the firearms and talk shit about guns for 30 - 45 min.  They knew I wasn't going to buy anything that day and that was ok with them.  I'd come back on pay day and buy from them even if I could find something at wally world for a little cheaper just 'cause I liked to do business with them.  

Link Posted: 12/4/2002 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]
There is one guy at a local shop here in Virginia Beach who is the biggest dick I've ever met. Just rude.

I'm trying to figure out how to spend MY $900 and he says it's only $$ buy this one. And when I decline he starts the I gotta pee dance acting all impatient, doesn't want to show me another weapon and finally excuses himself to help somebody else. Another guy comes over to help me in about 5 minutes and this guy is real cool and helpful. The other guy sees him helping me and calls him away from my to help somebody else. Shame for both of them I had $900 cash burning a hole in my pocket that day.

I left, I'll spend my $$ elsewhere. Later I called the owner and ratted his ass out. Punk!

AHHHHHHHH, I feel better now
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, pretty much like that in my town too.

With basically one exception the shops here are staffed by "cooler than thou" attitude boys, some of 'em totally rude, all of 'em annoying, some insufferably so.

I've basically boiled my business down to one dude at one shop. He's totally mellow, totally cool, knows his shit, and gets me special order stuff without any major hassle or surcharge.

Like I always say, vote with your wallet!

-Eric

Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had mixed experiences with gun stores.  I will say that I never forget.  I once had a guy at the gun store across from my house (Lone Wolf, Phoenix) try and sell me a 30 round refurbished mag as a NEW COLT mag for $54.  Since I had just read a thread here about refinishing I called him on his bluff and he said "Yea, you caught me".

It amazes me that most times if you do not get the owner, you get BAD service.

I would like to say that [b]Ron Peterson Guns in Albuquerque[/b] has been VERY good so far.

My first time in the door I told them I was looking for a FFL to receive 6 lowers and they quoted $50 for the paperwork.  I figure for the first time at a store that is a VERY good deal.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah, pretty much like that in my town too.

With basically one exception the shops here are staffed by "cooler than thou" attitude boys, some of 'em totally rude, all of 'em annoying, some insufferably so.

I've basically boiled my business down to one dude at one shop. He's totally mellow, totally cool, knows his shit, and gets me special order stuff without any major hassle or surcharge.

Like I always say, vote with your wallet!

-Eric

View Quote

Rowdy?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top