BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 4:39:49 AM EDT
Had to rent a loaner at the Dealer today for service. Can I legally
CCW in their vehicle? My guess is no.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:43:03 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can CCW legally in your vehicle, I don't see a problem.  I don't think the law makes a distinction for vehicles you don't own.  I ain't a lawyer, though.  Your state laws may vary, but I've never heard of that one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:43:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Sign the rental agreement.  Get in the car.  Drive away.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:44:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I rent a car a few times a year and I've NEVER seen anything in the rental contract prohibiting firearms.

Last weekend I used a rental car to drive cross-state to take a handgun class. Two handguns (1 ccw the other in a case), an AR, and aprox 1500 rounds of ammo. Nothing in the rental contract, no signage posted in the office.

echo6
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:49:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Rental cars AFAIK are considered just as hotels are, the same as your home or car, when considering firearms.  If you are legal to carry in your home or car, you are legal to carry in your hotel room/rental car in the jurisdiction you are in.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:09:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#7]
A few years ago, Shawn from Cav Arms rented an RV from a well known company to attend a machinegun shoot, maybe Knob Creek - can't remember. The RV broke down on the highway and they contacted said company. Company told them to abandon RV, head into town and they'd get another RV. Shawn informed company that they couldn't leave RV as they had restricted class 3 firearms with them. They were instructed to wait.

Cops show up code 3, hold everyone at gunpoint because "weapons were involved" including a young child. It all got sorted out, nothing illegal at all. Employee went off the deep end and called cops because guns were mentioned.

Cav Arms rented the RV in AZ wearing Cav Arms shirts, openly packing sidearms and even told the staff what they were planning.

I don't remember the outcome, but I think the RV company got sued and settled.

I have rented cars and trucks and crossed the country many times with firearms in the last 20 years without a problem. It is not illegal unless it is stated in your contract. Don't be so quick to give up rights and quit.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:20:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Not before starting a thread about it!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Rental cars AFAIK are considered just as hotels are, the same as your home or car, when considering firearms.  If you are legal to carry in your home or car, you are legal to carry in your hotel room/rental car in the jurisdiction you are in.

Even in Illi-communist-nois?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:39:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1

Quoted:
A few years ago, Shawn from Cav Arms rented an RV from a well known company to attend a machinegun shoot, maybe Knob Creek - can't remember. The RV broke down on the highway and they contacted said company. Company told them to abandon RV, head into town and they'd get another RV. Shawn informed company that they couldn't leave RV as they had restricted class 3 firearms with them. They were instructed to wait.

Cops show up code 3, hold everyone at gunpoint because "weapons were involved" including a young child. It all got sorted out, nothing illegal at all. Employee Media Brainwashed employee went off the deep end and called cops because guns were mentioned.

Cav Arms rented the RV in AZ wearing Cav Arms shirts, openly packing sidearms and even told the staff what they were planning.

I have rented cars and trucks and crossed the country many times with firearms in the last 20 years without a problem. It is not illegal unless it is stated in your contract. Don't be so quick to give up rights and quit.

+1
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:43:45 AM EDT
[#11]
You know what the difference is between a 4 wheel drive and a rental car

A 4 wheel goes off road

A rental car goes ANYWHERE
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I swear some of you people over think things to the point of insanity.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In your car, no! In a hotel room, notwithstanding local regulations to the contrary, yes!  Hotel room is considered your home during your rental period, offering much the same protections as your house.  If you are in Cook County, or anywhere with a handgun ban, handguns are not legal in your home, therefore, not legal in hotel rooms either.  As far as cars in IL, you cannot carry in your car, so you cannot carry in a rental.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In your car, no! In a hotel room, notwithstanding local regulations to the contrary, yes!  Hotel room is considered your home during your rental period, offering much the same protections as your house.  If you are in Cook County, or anywhere with a handgun ban, handguns are not legal in your home, therefore, not legal in hotel rooms either.  As far as cars in IL, you cannot carry in your car, so you cannot carry in a rental.

Okay thanks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#15]
F'm! carry and feel safe
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I recommend carrying at least one piece anytime you are in a rental car and can legally do so. Rental cars were/are easy to spot by goblins for a robbery (a la Florida back in the day), thus a little extra security may come in handy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

A 4 wheel goes off road

Rental cars - one of your best entertainment values. (on the Autobahn)

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Who cares?

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:08:44 AM EDT
[#19]
a rental car shouldnt be any different than your car.
is it different to have guns in a house you own than a rental house?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A 4 wheel goes off road

img117.imageshack.us/img117/6679/speed27ak.jpg

Thats 125 MPH.  What kind of car was that?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#22]
I did from East TX all the way to Eastern VA awhile back.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Cops show up code 3, hold everyone at gunpoint because "weapons were involved" including a young child. It all got sorted out, nothing illegal at all. Employee went off the deep end and called cops because guns were mentioned.

Even then it would not be illegal, just a violation of the contract.  All they can do is refuse to rent to you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A 4 wheel goes off road

img117.imageshack.us/img117/6679/speed27ak.jpg

Thats 125 MPH.  What kind of car was that?

Hyundai Elantra   And before anyone raises the BS flag this was a European version and not the speed restricted American version.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top