Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2004 10:38:09 PM EDT

www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,10643584%255E1702,00.html

Iran decides Cat Stevens good

By Siavosh Ghazi in Tehran
01sep04

IRAN'S Islamic Propagation Organisation has approved for sale the music of Cat Stevens, the British singer who converted to Islam and changed his name to Yusuf Islam.

"We have chosen to put on the market a selection of songs from Cat Stevens, to show to the Iranian youth that not everything in the West is bad," the organisation's music director Reza Mahdavi told AFP.

He said Stevens, a folk icon of the late sixties and early seventies, contrasted with the likes of Michael Jackson - the "King of Pop" facing trial in the US for alleged child abuse.

"There may be Michael Jackson, but there is also Cat Stevens - who converted to Islam while in the heart of the same Western world," Mr Mahdavi enthused.

"We chose Yusef Islam because he is a Muslim artist," he said, adding that cassettes and CDs containing 75 of his songs - recorded before and after his 1977 conversion to Islam - would go on sale in Iran on September 20.

The music will be accompanied by a book featuring lyrics and their Persian translations, statements by the artist and a biography of Britain's most famous Muslim convert - best remembered for hits such as Wild World, Peace Train, Moon Shadow and Morning Has Broken.

The singer hit controversy in 1989 when he was quoted as supporting the death sentence against British author Salman Rushdie ordered by Iran's revolutionary leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini. The musician has denied ever supporting the fatwa.

"We will also publish the comments of Yusef Islam after September 11, in which he denounces the allegations made against Muslims," the official said, before going on to say the singer should visit the Islamic republic.

"We want to invite Yusuf Islam to Iran. When his album and book comes out, it will be a good time for him to come," Mr Mahdavi said, adding a second album and book was ready to roll if the first release proved a success.

But it is unclear if Stevens, who is 56 and lives in London where he is involved in several Muslim charities, will be making any royalties from the Iranian release of his work.

Iran does not respect international intellectual property laws and even officially sanctioned releases of Western music or films are merely copies pirated locally.

According to the organisation, each cassette will cost 7000 rials (a little less than $US1), a CD will cost around $US3 and the book $US2.

Last month another Iranian state body, the culture and Islamic Guidance ministry, said that Queen had become the first rock band to be given the official seal of approval in Iran.

This decision was taken even though Queen's frontman Freddie Mercury was an outlandish gay icon.

Homosexuality is strictly banned in Iran.

Western music is strictly censored in Iran and those selling foreign music need special permits, although millions of pirated banned CDs and cassettes are sold on the black market.

Other western acts to have had albums of selected songs released on the official Iranian market are Elton John, Julio Iglesias and Gypsy Kings.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#1]
what a crock of shit.... that only brought his stuff over because he turned to the religion of BEASTS!

it's only good to iran if it's arab. what a load of dung.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:21:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember when I was in UofM, he came as a featured speaker.  Just for shits and grins, a friend and I went.  This guy who was dressed just like UBL (but without the Krinkov) walks out.  The first thing he says is that he will not say anything about his muisc or being a "rock star" and the only thing he will speak about is Islam.  At this point EVERYONE, a few hundred people, get up and leave.
Now everytime I hear Cat Stevens I laugh.  And change the station.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:26:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Ever since he endorsed the fatwa on Salman Rushdie I've changed the station when one of his songs came on.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:28:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:35:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Cat Stevens endorsed the fatwa against Salman Rushdie?

Wow, he's really committed to freedom of expression isn't he . . .

it's only good to iran if it's arab. what a load of dung.

Not to be a smartass; just a friendly FYI: Iranians are not Arabs.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:40:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Last month another Iranian state body, the culture and Islamic Guidance ministry, said that Queen had become the first rock band to be given the official seal of approval in Iran.

This decision was taken even though Queen's frontman Freddie Mercury was an outlandish gay icon.

Interesting.   I guess being a Parsi trumps being homosexual in Iran.   One of my friends in college was from Iran (left after Saddam Hussein obliterated his hometown on the Iran/Iraq border) and another was a Parsi from Bombay.   The guy from Iran completely idolized the guy who was Parsi.    They are the last remnants of what the Persian people were before Islam took over.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:46:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Interesting.   I guess being a Parsi trumps being homosexual in Iran.   One of my friends in college was from Iran (left after Saddam Hussein obliterated his hometown on the Iran/Iraq border) and another was a Parsi from Bombay.   The guy from Iran completely idolized the guy who was Parsi.    They are the last remnants of what the Persian people were before Islam took over.  

It was bad enough that the Iranians are supporting terrorism and trying to build an A-bomb.  But any culture that chooses Queen and Freddie Mercury as the first rock band to honor is worthy of obliteration.
Everyone knows that the very pinnacle of rock-stardom of Keith Richards.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:54:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:59:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
freddy mercury was a practicing zoroastrian at the time of his death...weird?

maybe that is why the mullahs aspproved of queen. iran is the home of dervishes, christians, zoroastrians and islam.

freddy worshipped ahura mazda??? go figure.

Anyone still practice Manichianism there?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:08:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm trying to figure out how Julio Iglesias figures into all this... do the Mullahs and ayatollahs toss in an Iglesias 8-track when they are looking to get lucky?

"Julio was playing on the hifi... slowly, she lifted her burka..."
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:14:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:32:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Freddy Mercury was a practicing butt-dart player at the time of his death.

Quoted:
freddy mercury was a practicing zoroastrian at the time of his death...weird?

maybe that is why the mullahs aspproved of queen. iran is the home of dervishes, christians, zoroastrians and islam.

freddy worshipped ahura mazda??? go figure.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top