Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2013 2:45:34 PM EDT
I bought an iPad 2 on the cheap because it has a busted screen.  Works for now, but I'd like to replace the screen.  When looking for the kits, the prices range from $30-$100.

Any advantage to using one vs the other?  
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Screen or touch screen?

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Screen or touch screen?

View Quote

Should have specified... the digitizer/front screen.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#3]
This is what I used and am typing a reply on right now- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B0FYHUI

Also get a wifi cable, you will toast the old one and it's only $2- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058RWEDG
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is what I used and am typing a reply on right now- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B0FYHUI

Also get a wifi cable, you will toast the old one and it's only $2- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058RWEDG
View Quote

Ordered and ordered.  I see quite a few people screw up the wifi antennas during the process.

All said, after the replacement parts, shipping, tools etc... a 3g iPad for less than $150
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, well sure enough I fucked up my wifi antenna.  Removed the old one, removed the old adhesive and foam backing, then installed the new one.  My question for anyone that's done this the foam on the new one seems pretty thick, and it wants to stick up - is this right?  I'm guessing the new screen will squeeze it to where it needs to be, but wanted to make sure.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I had mine repaired by a dude.  I'm typing on it right now.  The screen does not sit flush, and the touch goes absolutely crazy every now and again.  

It still works for arfcom so I care little
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried to re-do mine & I'm having one hell of an issue getting the new digitizer to stick.

I pushed & folded the digitizer cable down & in but it's still giving me issues of pushing up.

Does anyone have any advice?  I almost want to put a sharp bend in the digitizer cable so it doesn't push up as easy, but I don't want to bend/crimp the wires & not sure how durable the cable is for folding/bending?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I tried to re-do mine & I'm having one hell of an issue getting the new digitizer to stick.

I pushed & folded the digitizer cable down & in but it's still giving me issues of pushing up.

Does anyone have any advice?  I almost want to put a sharp bend in the digitizer cable so it doesn't push up as easy, but I don't want to bend/crimp the wires & not sure how durable the cable is for folding/bending?
View Quote

Granted, I have zero sucessful ipad repairs under my belt, but try it like you see in this video.  go to about 6:50 in the video.  You can see he tucks the cable between the frame and LCD, so the cable leaves the digitzer and goes down at a 90 degree angle, and isn't folded back over.  

I just did a test fit on mine like this and it fits great.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Just a courtesy update for anyone that googles across this thread.

The wifi antenna appeared to be no factor.  When reattaching the new digitizer, I heated it up briefly with a hair dryer and set a bunch of heavy books on top.  That seems to have taken care of it, and it's working great.

Never thought I'd be happy with an apple product, and in fact I've always been a hater.  Bough this primarily for use as an electronic flight bag (since iOS dominates the shit out of android in that market segment) but damn is this thing handy...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top