Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2013 5:34:07 PM EDT
I'm an Illinois-certified concealed carry instructor. It's brand new, and the Illinois State Police is clueless, so there are a lot of questions about the way everything is going to work.  

The law requires 16 hours of training:
An applicant for a new license shall provide proof of
completion of a firearms training course or combination of
courses approved by the Department of at least 16 hours, which
includes range qualification time under subsection (c) of this
Section...
View Quote

However, the law also allows applicants to submit 8 hours of previous training towards that 16, if it's approved by the Illinois State Police.
The Department and certified firearms instructor shall
recognize up to 8 hours of training already completed toward
the 16 hour training requirement under this Section if the
training course is approved by the Department and recognized
under the laws of another state.
View Quote

Interestingly, the instructor is responsible for counting up the hours and applying them towards the total. The applicant must then submit the certificate signed by the instructor, along with the proof of the previous 8 hours of training, and the ISP will then process the application.

Now, here's where it gets weird.  The emergency rules under which the entire process is operating right now says:
For those applicants who provided proof of up to 8 hours of training already completed toward the 16 hours training, the Instructor shall:
1) certify the aggregate number of hours for which the applicant provided proof of instruction in Firearms Safety, Basic Principles of Marksmanship, and Care, Cleaning, Loading and Unloading of a Concealable Firearm
View Quote

The State Police released the list of courses that have been accepted for prior training.  It says:
Below is a list of training courses acceptable to satisfy the prior training requirements, consistent with Sections 75(g) and (i) of the Act, and the appropriate credit to be applied for each. It is the responsibility of the instructor to verify successful completion of prior training and apply credit as listed. Once this credit is combined with additional training hours provided by the instructor, the approved ILCCF Instructor will certify the 1-hours were met. Approved ILCCF Instructors should inform applicants how much credit they will receive for their prior training and remind them the prior training certificates must be submitted with the ILCCF Training Certificate when they apply."
View Quote

The courses are then listed. DD-214, NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home, NRA Personal Protection In the Home, and NRA Basic Pistol are all worth 8 hours. Illinois Hunter Safety Course, the now-defunct Chicago Firearms Safety Course, Utah Concealed Carry, Nevada Concealed Carry, Missouri Concealed Carry, Kentucky Concealed Carry, Michigan Concealed Carry, and Florida Concealed Carry are all worth 4 hours each.

However, Florida doesn't require any amount of training hours. You could literally hold a class, as a private organization with an NRA-certified instructor, that was five minutes long, and involved firing a single round of live ammo, and it would be sufficient in the eyes of Florida law.

The law doesn't allow us any leeway on whether or not to accept prior training. It says we "shall" accept it. The text of the emergency rules say that we should certify the aggregate number of hours. Where are we supposed to get that from? Are they expecting us to use the hours given on the prior training document? Are they potentially asking us to certify that a 5 minute class is really a 4 hour class? Or are they saying that any Florida course is given credit for four hours, regardless of how long it actually took? The prior training document says that the hours are the "appropriate credit to be applied for each" course, and that it is the instructor's responsibility to "apply credit as listed."

TL;DR: Illinois State Police says Florida CCW course is worth 4 hours, but Florida doesn't have any minimum course length for their permit. Do we certify as 4 hours, even if somebody took a shorter class?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I was wondering what will happen as I used my hunter safety training I took when I was 10 years old in place of taking the training class for my Florida permit. So do I still get 8 hours credit?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably not.  As it stands right now, you have to submit certificates, not the permit, so you'll have to submit the certificate for your hunter safety course. If it was an Illinois hunter safety course, you'll get 4 hours of credit for it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I just took my 15hrs last Sunday. Passed course. Was told by instructor I would receiver a call to come to his place of business when the State would be there to do the fingerprinting ($55.00 fee).  Got the call with the dates for fingerprinting on this past Thursday. Got a call the vert next day (Griday) that the good old state of Illinois was putting a freeze in all finger printing until further notice.
Just more stalling tactics by the state.  I'm not real surprised really.
Go illinois!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]
16 hours that is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top