Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2005 11:45:50 AM EDT
Looking at switching our internet from cable to DSL. Is there really much of a difference other then price? We don't do alot of downloads, if that matters.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#1]
with DSL your speed stays the same....cable it depends on how many users you have online in your area......I have DSL....buddy of mine had cable....most of the time he was faster on downloads.....but I had him beat everytime on uploads.....and I could host online games for us to play he could not....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, so SBC is offering 1.5mpbs vs 3.0 mpbs. The cheaper of the 2 being 14.95 a mth, the other 24.99 a mth. No online gaming done here, would the 1.5 be sufficient?

Disclaimer, yes I am totally pc ignorant. I can do what I need to do and that's it!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ok, so SBC is offering 1.5mpbs vs 3.0 mpbs. The cheaper of the 2 being 14.95 a mth, the other 24.99 a mth. No online gaming done here, would the 1.5 be sufficient?

Disclaimer, yes I am totally pc ignorant. I can do what I need to do and that's it!!

Unless you download alot of large files then 1.5 will be plenty of speed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

For just regular internet, yes, hey dial up works. This is just a ton faster. It is a great deal!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks guys, I am off to order my 1.5 DSL.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Dial-up doesn't work.  Dial-up is light-years away from being CLOSE to being anything as good as cable.

Mrs. GH, you might do well with the 1.5.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#7]
The slowest day on my cable broadband is still more than 4x faster than dsl...

Worst speed test has been around 8100k/down and 697k/up.

I'll never go back to dsl.
I'm on a 1.5 dsl connection here at work and it drives me nuts. It's like comparing dialup to dsl. Cable is so much better. (In my uncongested neck of the woods at least)

For $15 though, i'd say the dsl is the way to go...
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The slowest day on my cable broadband is still more than 4x faster than dsl...

Worst speed test has been around 8100k/down and 697k/up.

I'll never go back to dsl.
I'm on a 1.5 dsl connection here at work and it drives me nuts. It's like comparing dialup to dsl. Cable is so much better. (In my uncongested neck of the woods at least)

For $15 though, i'd say the dsl is the way to go...

*offtopic nazi*OFFTOPIC!!!*/offtopic nazi*  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#9]
MrsGungho: If your just a web surfer the 1.5mbps down, .75mpbs up would be fine. I'm using that now, and I'm SBC/Yahoo $30/month. This is assuming you're only web surfing and not up or down loading large files.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top