Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 6:52:43 PM EDT
Ok! Lets say for the sake of argument that Man has been on this Earth for say 1 million years in some form or another. In that time we have gone from living in caves to what we have now. In the grand scheme of this that is a relativly short time period for this planet. Now my question!!!! Dinosaurs were on this planet for what 400 million, 500 million years? What would the possibilty be that some dinosaur way back when in that time span, actually evolved a big enough brain and cognative abilities to start thinking. Could it be possible that there was an intelligent and self aware species dinosaur that we have not found that actually lived in villages or clans. Something similiar to the way humans have evolved? I know this sounds over the top but my thinking is that 400-500 million years is more than enough time to get something going. Given the fact that it only took us 1 million to get to where we are. Now im not saying that there was some great Dino cities and such but maybe there were some small villages or something like that! And no im not taking any drugs! Just thinking abit!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't find that question interesting.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#4]
People havent been around for a million years....some would put that number in the thousands
As far as possible....anything is technically possible....but only one thing actually happened....and frankly....we will most likely never know what that one thing was...we can take very educated guesses....but without a time machine your question will remain unanswered.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]
What do you mean, dinosaur village? You mean, like, buildings, or they hung around together? Some species went in packs and herds, but they lacked the physical capabilities to build.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you saying that somewhere, at some point, some redneck pre-human totally did it with a dinosaur?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What do you mean, dinosaur village? You mean, like, buildings, or they hung around together? Some species went in packs and herds, but they lacked the physical capabilities to build.

My thinking is kind of alongs the lines of what early man was like? Caves, small shelters made from local materials.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By John Parker:
Ok! Lets say for the sake of argument that Man has been on this Earth for say 1 million years in some form or another. In that time we have gone from living in caves to what we have now. In the grand scheme of this that is a relativly short time period for this planet. Now my question!!!! Dinosaurs were on this planet for what 400 million, 500 million years? What would the possibilty be that some dinosaur way back when in that time span, actually evolved a big enough brain and cognative abilities to start thinking. Could it be possible that there was an intelligent and self aware species dinosaur that we have not found that actually lived in villages or clans. Something similiar to the way humans have evolved? I know this sounds over the top but my thinking is that 400-500 million years is more than enough time to get something going. Given the fact that it only took us 1 million to get to where we are. Now im not saying that there was some great Dino cities and such but maybe there were some small villages or something like that! And no im not taking any drugs! Just thinking abit!

Are you high?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I understand what you're saying, but my answer would be no.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I understand what you're saying, but my answer would be no.

At least someone understands my question!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#11]
That is a pretty interesting question and observation. Never thought of that. Maybe ole T-Rex was alot smarter than what we give em credit for.... Who knows, i know i sure dont.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#12]
A truly interesting question: What if C-A-T really spelled dog?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A truly interesting question: What if C-A-T really spelled dog?

Do you mean the orthography of the English language was such that dog was pronounced /kæt/, or if animals of the genus Felis were referred to as dog (/dɒg/)? If it's the former, the written English language (and probably the written languages of every language that uses the Latin alphabet) would be different, but we wouldn't know because it would be how it always was to us. If it were the latter, there'd only be a difference in terminology, but probably from the relevant parent languages as well, and we still wouldn't know.

The former would be pretty interesting to simulate. Sengendes mithg appear lide ghis.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Ever read Dean Koontz "Twilight Eyes"?  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#15]
dinosaurs were around roughly 150 million years.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
dinosaurs were around roughly 150 million years.

Thats still 149 million more than us!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#17]
"Ohh, Brian. Your fur is so soft ... Oh ... your ears are like dog ears.

Ohhhh ... this couch! Awhhhhh!

Stewie! Your head is so smooth! How, how is that ... how you doing that?! How you doing that?!

Everything here is fantastic. Awhhhh!

Awhhhhhhh! These clothes ... Ehhgggggggg! Ahgggggggggggggg!"
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Turtles and Sharks as well as Croc's are basically unchanged for millions of years. No big thinkers there.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#19]
actually the dinosaurs did evolve and they left the planet on space ships after destroying all traces of their civilization.  they come by to look in on us from time to time, which is why we see UFOs.  all of the major religious texts are created by them to give them something to laugh at while we debate them.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I think their was a startrek show like this. The main computer displayed a figure that showed what if the dino's didnt die out, what would they have evolved too. The pics the computer made was a two legged dude kinda like the dino guy on lost world,  tribune.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#21]
An interesting thought, but the answer would be no.  To keep a large mammalian brain running at top speed requires a constant body temperature in the neighbor hood of 37C.  No cold blooded creature would be capable of developing real intelligence.  Thats why sharks, crocs and turtles haven't started talking to each other, despite 200 million years on the planet.

Which is too bad, because I bet they see some cool shit.

CO
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
actually the dinosaurs did evolve and they left the planet on space ships after destroying all traces of their civilization.  they come by to look in on us from time to time, which is why we see UFOs.  all of the major religious texts are created by them to give them something to laugh at while we debate them.

exactly.

your question cannot be resolved until we learn how to penetrate the cloaked dinosaur orbiting space stations.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't know, don't care cause i didn't evolve.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Evolution is racist.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
An interesting thought, but the answer would be no.  To keep a large mammalian brain running at top speed requires a constant body temperature in the neighbor hood of 37C.  No cold blooded creature would be capable of developing real intelligence.  Thats why sharks, crocs and turtles haven't started talking to each other, despite 200 million years on the planet.

Which is too bad, because I bet they see some cool shit.

CO

The dolphins are watching us
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Apparently not enough, anyway.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently not enough, anyway.  

zing!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top