Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 6:57:49 AM EDT
I thought this was interesting regarding the guy they just executed in San Quentin:

Having suffered a heart attack back in September, Allen had asked prison authorities to let him die if he went into cardiac arrest before his execution, a request prison officials said they would not honor.

"At no point are we not going to value the sanctity of life," said prison spokesman Vernell Crittendon. "We would resuscitate him," then execute him."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/01/17/allen.death.ap/index.html

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Works for me..... Fuck him.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess they wanted to make sure he went on the ride he was ticketed for.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:06:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe we should try that for some of these hideously evil bastards. Fry them to the point of death, then resuscitate them, and do it again and point and laugh.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:09:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#5]
It is all a matter of timing, they want to be able to stop e executionf a stay comes through, or the gov calls.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I read a Sci Fi story a very long time ago. It was about capital punishment. The thrust of the story was that criminals convicted of multiple homicides were executed then resuscitated, and then re-executed for however many murders they had committed.

The twist in the story was that the death/resuscitation process had the effect of some memory loss so the executee could not remember how many times he'd been put to death.

Each time the criminal didn't know if it was the first time or the last time.

Pretty cold! Yet it appeals to me as justice. That story line has stuck with me for about forty years.

Vic out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I thought this was interesting regarding the guy they just executed in San Quentin:

Having suffered a heart attack back in September, Allen had asked prison authorities to let him die if he went into cardiac arrest before his execution, a request prison officials said they would not honor.

"At no point are we not going to value the sanctity of life," said prison spokesman Vernell Crittendon. "We would resuscitate him," then execute him."

I have a real problem with this.   If he has a heart attack, let him die!!!  Why waste resources on these scumbags to keep them alive.  Some higher power has obviously decided we are taking too long to execute them.  If you get cancer in prison, they get you the best medical care they can to treat you.  WHY!!!???  If they are on death row, let them rot away.  What's the big deal??  They already have a death sentence.  Why not let nature carry it out and save the taxpayers the costs of treating and then executing the dirtbags???

Lifesaver

(And, yes, I see the irony between my handle and my position.)
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I read a Sci Fi story a very long time ago. It was about capital punishment. The thrust of the story was that criminals convicted of multiple homicides were executed then resuscitated, and then re-executed for however many murders they had committed.

The twist in the story was that the death/resuscitation process had the effect of some memory loss so the executee could not remember how many times he'd been put to death.

Each time the criminal didn't know if it was the first time or the last time.

Pretty cold! Yet it appeals to me as justice. That story line has stuck with me for about forty years.

Vic out.

Wow.  What a concept.

It would be something like:

Frank woke with a gasp, gulping air into his lungs, his heart palpitating in his chest.  After a moment he felt the residual pain coursing through his body, causing him to pull at the restraints.  After a few moments the sensation subsided to a heavy throbbing in his musculature.  His breathing became steadier.  He began to relax.

The executioner looked at him and said, "That's one", and reached for the switch again.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's wrong to do that to the tax payers.   It's a waste of our money.  If it saves us a penny, why not let the condemned die of natural causes?    

Agreed - the purpose of the death penalty is NOT to flip a particular switch, but to remove a person from society.  If it happens earlier than planned, that's great.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:39:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's wrong to do that to the tax payers.   It's a waste of our money.  If it saves us a penny, why not let the condemned die of natural causes?    

I asked a correctional officer that once and he said basically they have to be humane and treat Them with all necessary health needs because they are in the state's care yet they cannot request DNR because (Im TRYING to recall the right verbage here) they have no rights at that point.

I know the words I used are not EXACT but you get the gist of it.

Then I asked him... So you mean to tell me that if 10 minutes before his execution he tries to commit suicide by hanging, you have to revive him then drag him to the death chamber? He said (after he went into the whole "well, he cant because he is watched in his last hours.... yadda yadda yadda") But basically... "yes"
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Same reason they swab the injection site with alcohol.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a real problem with this.   If he has a heart attack, let him die!!!  Why waste resources on these scumbags to keep them alive.  Some higher power has obviously decided we are taking too long to execute them.  If you get cancer in prison, they get you the best medical care they can to treat you.  WHY!!!???  If they are on death row, let them rot away.  What's the big deal??  They already have a death sentence.  Why not let nature carry it out and save the taxpayers the costs of treating and then executing the dirtbags???

Lifesaver

(And, yes, I see the irony between my handle and my position.)

It is a liability issue.  If they let him die/do not do everything possible to save him, then they will get sued by the surviving family.  It will be looked at as premature execution while an appeal or clemency is pending.  They have to seriously try to keep him alive or get sued.  Really simple...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top