Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 12:23:06 PM EDT
From Milphotos.net..

Marines from Special Purpose Marine Air Ground Task Force 26 direct vehicles from a Landing Craft Air Cushioned onto USS New York off the coast of Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C., Oct. 30, 2009. Marines from several units merged to form SPMAGTF-26 for the ship's commissioning in New York City, Nov. 7.

Sgt. Randy Marshall guides an Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle onto a Landing Craft Air Cushioned from Assault Craft Unit Four, which left Onslow Beach on Camp Lejeune, N.C., Oct. 30, 2009. The LCAC made several trips from USS New York to shore. The ship, vehicles and crafts will represent the Marine Expeditionary Forces at the USS New York commissioning in New York City, Nov. 7.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool pics. I had to really look hard at the first one , it looked like a model setup at first
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like they ran out of Tamiya Flat Green in the first pic and had to use matte instead. Must have been pretty expensive.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool, I unloaded at Camp Lejeune on the 27th, the Marines at the gate were a lot more relaxed then the last time I was there (about 3 years ago)
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cool pics. I had to really look hard at the first one , it looked like a model setup at first

Between the glossy sheen, the lighting, and the poses of the figures, err, people, I thought it was a diorama too, and not a very well-executed one, either.

Just goes to show, I guess.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#5]
What is that jeep looking vehicle in the background of the first pic? Interesting
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I would like to know what it is myself
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#7]
It's called a Growler.

http://defense-update.com/events/2007/summary/mdm07_itv.htm

Interestingly it has a diesel engine.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is that jeep looking vehicle in the background of the first pic? Interesting

It's the battery support vehicle (BSV) for the EFSS embarked for the US NYC static display.  The trailer is the caisson (ammo trailer).
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Between the glossy sheen, the lighting, and the poses of the figures, err, people, I thought it was a diorama too, and not a very well-executed one, either.

Just goes to show, I guess.

The bad depth of field too.
I thought it was a model at first as well.
Weird.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#11]
It's the 100,000 dollar 4 wheel steering prime mover for the M327 EFSS, we call it the clown car.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It's the 100,000 dollar 4 wheel steering prime mover for the M327 EFSS, we call it the clown car.

..It costs $100k?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:26:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Actually a little more, it started pretty cheap but when they put all the specs to include 4 wheel steering it got expensive.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:17:24 AM EDT
[#14]
If you want a similar but cheaper version, check out the Land Rover MOD Lightweights.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:36:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Actually a little more, it started pretty cheap but when they put all the specs to include 4 wheel steering it got expensive.

so we can expect it in surplus for about $500 then in a few years?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:45:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

so we can expect it in surplus for about $500 then in a few years?

Not as long as the Marines keep EFSS and MV-22.  The whole reason for the Growler was the prime mover (BSV) for the EFSS and one of the requirements was it could be internally loaded in a MV-22, since than it has branched off to the ISV (infantry strike vehicle) with 1/9 getting the first one ones this last May, following B/1/10 getting their BSVs in Feb.

The loading into the MV-22 was what caused the cost increase.  For a short period while going up the ramp the front wheels go airborne, so that lead to the requirement for the 4 wheel steering.

The irony is the BSV/ISVs cannot be used in CENTCOM outside of FOBs right now because they are not armored.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top