Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 2:38:03 AM EDT
remove them. I have a chance to purchase a Smith revolver and on the curve of the top strap the owner has had his initials professionally carved in there.
Is there a way to fill in this area and possibly buff it back out or do I go to work on it with the Dremmel Tool?
The type and deal is too good to pass up its just that 1/2" square above the back strap that keeps me from putting a good set of wood grips on it.
I was told by him I could send it back to where he had it done. $70.00 for overnight shipping (thats just one way, I will have to pay for both ways) then the shop can do it for $125.00.

Any ideas on how to possibly fill this area in or should I just smooth it down?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:26:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd just leave it alone. Anything you do will just cost more or possibly ugly it up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:35:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:35:58 AM EDT
[#3]

I'd just leave it alone. Anything you do will just cost more or possibly ugly it up.

Granted, but it will drive me crazy if its there. (im wierd that way )
Besides I am rather good at refinishing metal/wood etc...
I am curious if anyone has used the nickle process to do this?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:38:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Without seeing it, it would be hard to say, but being all stainless helps.
As a guess, I would grind/buff off as much as possible, blending it in, then sandblast or glass bead the entire strap to mask any remaining "carving"...again, depending on depth.
Gun should be disassembled & masked off well as the media will find it's way into any opening and will blast any unmasked area.
Then degrease and blow out with air to remove any remaining sand, relube and reinstall parts.
If the price is right, I may even ignore it...I wouldn't change my name to match those initials either.

Great info. Thank you.

I was contemplating the name change idea. Its that good of a deal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:02:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Leave it alone or walk away from the deal. It is probably priced so low BECAUSE of the initials.

If you do buy it then just think of somethnig else (more personal to you) that the initials could stand for.

As examples;

SS - Shoot Straight
GA - God Above
CM - Criminal Medicine
DP - Don't Panic
etc.

Or just "name" your revolver using the initials as a guide.

SP - Stinky Pete
LJ - Little Joe
etc.

If the initials are GM you can later sell it telling people its a rare George Mason Final Four Commemorative

In any case do not rush to the Dremel tool. You can always screw it up later (my own experience)

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:24:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Got a pic?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top