Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2002 6:47:11 AM EDT
It is perfectly plausible that such an object can be created here on earth.Here's how:
As atom-smashers attempt to identify the constituents of an atom's nucleus by breaking it into finer and finer particles (the finer the particle, the more power is required, hence the need for bigger and mor powerful cyclotrons), extremely heavy,new elements are created which last but an instant, before dissipating. It is entirely possible that such collisions will produce an object of infinite density. It is also known as a BLACK HOLE. Physicists reassure us that if such a thing happens, it will be temporary--evaporate almost as soon as it is created because it is unstable.
Such reassurances do nothing to assuage my fears. WHAT IF THEY ARE WRONG? Maybe it won't evaporate. In theory its density could cause it to sink to the center of the earth, and rapidly devour the entire planet. This fear has been expoused by many leading scientists, but the research continues.
I expressed my fear to a leading physicist, and his reply was," That's what we are going to find out!"
Talk about arrogance and irresponsibility!!
If this happens, I won't be able to shoot my guns anymore!
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:04:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Scientists also assure us that all of the atmosphere on earth won't be poisoned when you fart...WHAT IF THEY ARE WRONG???
Talk about flatulence and irresponsibility!
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:10:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:18:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe they could wait until we have a colony set up on that big hunk of cheese in the sky...the moon shouldn't be as big of a loss as [b]THE ENTIRE EARTH![/b] [shock]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Not gonna happen
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Latest theory: There are no black holes. Researchers got the math wrong. Extreme gravity doesn't punch a hole in space. "Warp Drive" is a load of dingo's kidneys.

Every now and then one of these semi-crackpot ideas turns out to be right. Wonder if this's one of them.

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#6]
This thread would be much more
interesting if I were STONED!
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Latest theory: There are no black holes. Researchers got the math wrong. Extreme gravity doesn't punch a hole in space. "Warp Drive" is a load of dingo's kidneys.
View Quote

I've read about this theory...but so far, it is actually more of a hypothesis than a theory.  No real evidence to back it up.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#8]
[url=http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0008626D-3501-1C74-9B81809EC588EF21&pageNumber=1&catID=2]Not true.[/url]

If that argument isn't enough to assuage you, consider this: ion collisions exactly like those planned for RHIC occur all the time in interstellar space. Despite the scarcity of gold, there are about 1,000 high-energy impacts of gold ions every year in each cubic light-year of our galaxy. If these impacts could generate long-lived, negatively charged strangelets, some of the dangerous particles would eventually be pulled into nearby stars, causing them to explode. This process would trigger about a million supernovae in our galaxy every year--but in reality, astronomers have observed only a handful in the past millennium. One must conclude that the ion collisions are not producing anything so volatile.
View Quote

I hate Sciam as much as the next guy (and just to confirm my hate, this bio whiz I know, no conservative, started bitching - without prompting from me - about how Sciam was so biased, in its weak articles slamming creationism/design theory and Lomborg's anti-envrionmentalist book), but they do get their science right on occasion.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I hate Sciam as much as the next guy (and just to confirm my hate, this bio whiz I know, no conservative, started bitching - without prompting from me - about how Sciam was so biased, in its weak articles slamming creationism/design theory and Lomborg's anti-envrionmentalist book), but they do get their science right on occasion.
View Quote

They also got it right in the article telling how to refute the facile arguments of creationists.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#11]
STOP IT you guys are making me paranoid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top