User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#3]
2008 basic ft Leonard Wood, 4 grenades, two claymores, 3 satchel charges, 10 door breaches. My MOS was 74D, and we got a bunch of left over shit from the sapper competition. The DI were also trying to remove the stigma that Jessica Lynch went through there.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Damn that's bad news. Lift and shift suppressive fires have to be on point or shit happens. We had a guy on a 7-11 ko the bunker drill  get cut down by an M249 that shifted the wrong way into the team taking out the bunker. Didn't kill the kid but he took a big burst in the leg that gave an 18yo a 100% disability for life.

Shit happens quick during an LFX if people aren't paying attention.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I threw in basic obviously. On deployment I saw it used once to clear a mudhut suspected of having an ied inside.

Also some NCOs in my platoon threw some in a huge pond/ reservoir type thing that we on our COP for the fuck of it.

Grenades rarely get used when you have 40mm on hand.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]

That training exercise would be a No-Go, whole lot of fucked up right there.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Not infantry but got to throw 4 live and several dozen practice. Threw the live ones with spoons so afterwards got to go police up as many we could find (16×4). Noticed the wall between the pit and the dummy was peppered pretty good and there was a nice gouge out of the front of it by one that apparently didn't make it very far

Was definitely impressed with the boom they produced
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes. Pull pin. Throw. Profit.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Damn that's bad news. Lift and shift suppressive fires have to be on point or shit happens. We had a guy on a 7-11 ko the bunker drill  get cut down by an M249 that shifted the wrong way into the team taking out the bunker. Didn't kill the kid but he took a big burst in the leg that gave an 18yo a 100% disability for life.

Shit happens quick during an LFX if people aren't paying attention.
View Quote

My first live fire, extraction training at Fort Lewis had me puckered up
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Thrown a Handful in training either at hand grenade ranges or during live fire exercises.

Safetying privates at the grenade range is pretty high on my things I don’t like doing list. Right up there with safetying the at4 range.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Not infantry.  

2 live during BCT.  Only one incident I saw with my own eyes.  The rest were rumors.

Ft. McClellan, 1995

During your 'qualification' toss, there were to pits going at once and the range SGT would call out the direction and distance of the toss.  11 o'clock 3/4 down range.  One private went to toss her second, the tower calls "3 o'clock REAL SHORT"  The other Drill Sgt gets and 'oh shit' look on his face and he grabs the his private and tosses him on the ground against the wall of the pit.  I didn't witness detonation because I stepped behind cover.  She almost fragged two guys only because she wanted to go more than half way down range.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My first live fire, extraction training at Fort Lewis had me puckered up
View Quote

That incident I described happen at Ft Lewis. I'm wanting to say Range 36, but it's the one in NE corner of all the ranges. At Transmission Line Rd and 7th Infantry Regiment Rd.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
NCO’s did all the work. I drank coffee and tried to stay out of their way.
View Quote

That's all we ask.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Grenades are no joke. I have a no idea how Kyle Carpenter survived.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m a scout. I threw about a dozen of trainers, 2 live and grenade assault course with trainers in basic. .

Same thing in pre deployment train ups. Trainer grenade range first. Once you passed the training portion you went up to the live range and threw 2 to 4 grenades.

Non combat deployment train ups we didn’t even have grenade ranges.

I’ve also thrown a few while deployed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That incident I described happen at Ft Lewis. I'm wanting to say Range 36, but it's the one in NE corner of all the ranges. At Transmission Line Rd and 7th Infantry Regiment Rd.
View Quote

That takes me back. It was 2001 when I was assigned to Group. My first time at Ft Lewis was the 1990s but I haven’t been back since 2003. Usually Yakima was where most of my Ft Lewis stories happened but one of the wierdest was an ice cream truck accidentally driving onto our DZ in the middle of a jump
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#17]
2004 Belgian army. Basic was a whole day of grenade range, we all got to throw 5 live ones. We also fired rifle grenades and hafla WP smoke.

After that in the combat engineers we would routinely do grenade range days, building devices to attack tanks (turn a jerry can into the mother of all Molotov cocktails and crawl towards the tank...), shoot 4-5 HEAT M72 LAW's.

Nothing really exciting happened, although when we didn't like the officer who had to supervise we would always chuck grenades into the closest mudpool so at the end of the day he as absolutely drenched.

I believe that blowing shit up is the most fun thing there is.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#18]
In basic many years ago one of our guys threw one about 20 feet in front of the adjacent concrete barrier...the DI loved him tenderly afterward.

Another forgot to remove the safety, DI had to crawl out into the pit to see what the problem was...that private disappeared for a few hours.

When it was time for my throw, the DI asked if I was nervous, I said a little sergeant...he said "Hell, why are you nervous, you're the one with the grenade". My throw went OK
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The key is to count to ten slowly before tossing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We got to chunk exactly 1 each. After that it was practice grenades.
View Quote

Same thing in 1975.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Artillery in the 80's under Reagan we threw one grenade a year. We also qualified with training grenades every year.

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Not infantry.

In MCT I think I threw one live grenade.

During AT one year, they ordered a bunch of live grenades. Not many people came out to throw them. I think I got to toss 12 grenades that day.

In Afghanistan, we had some extras when we were shutting down a base. Rather than blow them with the other old gear and bangalores, we saved the grenades and took turns throwing them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Used to run grenade ranges frequently over in Makua, every couple years we had an accident involving a grenade with a Schofield Barracks soldier.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Everyone is supposed to throw 2 live grenades in BCT regardless of anticipated MOS.  It is, or was, one of the few hard requirements to graduate BCT.  Some cycles we had to cut back to 1 grenade due to limited supply.

It’s possible things have changed since 2010.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
1 after basic during training, not including deployment. During the training an E-7 told me to drop to the prone position as some soldiers had thrown a grenade into the tree line which seemed to me like it was a football field far away so what’s the problem? But some shrapnel had traveled in our direction and he said don’t underestimate the maximum distance shrapnel can travel
View Quote

True.   At Parris Island the grenade throwing pits had a waiting and observation area some forty yards behind the throwing point.  The ballistic glass had its share of sharapnel marks.  Figure fifty to seventy yards flight to hit that window. .
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Everyone is supposed to throw 2 live grenades in BCT regardless of anticipated MOS.  It is, or was, one of the few hard requirements to graduate BCT.  Some cycles we had to cut back to 1 grenade due to limited supply.

It’s possible things have changed since 2010.
View Quote

It’s still part of the POI for all MOS and takes a memo from the battalion commander to waive it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The only reason I got to throw more than one (in basic) was because I was a medic assigned to cover a grenade/claymore range. We had an entire company fail to show for training because of some reason I can't remember, so all the range cadre got to toss a bunch.

We also daisy chained six claymores together, because it was taking too long to deploy them all individually (we'd waited most of the day to see whether the company was going to make it or not). So we had six in a little arc facing a mostly buried tractor tire that was the grenade target. When the LT clacked it off a 12 inch square piece of tire flew over the berm and landed way over by where our vehicles were parked. I remember the LT looking like he was going to get into trouble and checking that everybody was OK, then he said, "Maybe six was too many." It was hilarious, just his semi scared-kid tone.

We set them off in pairs after that.
View Quote

Reminds me of setting off the 3/4 pound blocks of tnt with non electric blasting caps and pull initiators.   We had to tape a dozen together (each students individual set up)  then we placed it under a stump un the range, pulled the rings and boogied out of the pit.   That stump flew pretty damn high.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#28]
We got throw two in basic. I threw a ton more covering ranges as a medic. Not everyone’s experience is the same in the .mil.

As to your question, tankers and cav scouts threw more than any of the infantry ranges I covered.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This right here. Of course this was during the Carter years so everyone was broke & poor, especially the military!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Some of got to use live grenade in training after BCT and OSUT. Usually in each live fire exercise one or two guys would get one for a specific task.. like fragging a bunker. I did that a few times.

I actually never threw a live one in BCT. There was a safety issue at the range and for a brief period they could only use practice grenades.
View Quote

I had an issue during my infantry school.  The Marines were short of 40mm grenades.   We got to fire a good amount of blue eggs and a shitload of 40mm buckshot to make up for it.   The stocks of Golden Easter eggs were pulled because they were going off early.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm going to tell on myself a bit here. I separated my AC wrestling in High School (a year before I went to basic). It didn't heal right and I didn't have full range of motion in my arm.

When we went to the grenade range they had us throw dummies before we threw our two live grenades. The instructors saw my pitiful attempts and told the Drill Sergeants there was no way they were going to let me throw a live grenade. I'd kill myself and the instructor. At this point I was cruising. I wasn't a fuck-up, qualified expert, and was maxing my APFT. Now I was going to be recycled because I can't throw a grenade.

One DS took pity on me. The day before graduation he took me out to the grenade range. Just me and him. He told me if I killed us he was going to butt-fuck my soul for eternity. This was my make or break moment. I leaned back and chucked that grenade with all of my strength. It landed a pitifuly short distance beyond the berm. We hit the ground and were showered with dirt. The DS, visibly shaken, said "if anyone asks, you threw two fucking grenades. Get in the fucking car."

I deployed shortly after and gave all my grenades to my buddies.
View Quote

Not the standard but you might have tried a southpaw throw.   I am thinking disclosure of the range of motion issue could have gotten you tossed out.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why do I keep seeing "chuck" spelled "chunk" on this site?
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#33]
1 Live grenade at Basic.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've been around clumsy people that drop things. Not .mil, but I would be the one next to the guy who pulled the pin and accidentally dropped the thing....how many seconds do you have at that point?
View Quote

enough for the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#35]
A kid I was working with last month was talking about it when he joined the Army.

He said everyone did fine except one guy that limp wristed it and barely cleared the wall, he said that guy got an ass chewing better than any he heard the whole time he was in.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yep one live fragmentation grenade in basic a couple of smokes.

Guy that was next after me bobbled a live grenade and the DI kicked it into the sump and straddled the dumbass on top of the sump and they were both fine after it went off...

That made for a little excitement.

Though we did have one trainee from an urban area who flipped out and started shooting at us and an unarmed DI
went after him...he tried to shoot the DI who dodged his efforts...disarmed him and then beat him with his own rifle
not sure if the ahole died or not as the senior DI made us all look away when they dragged him off the field and loaded him into the meat wagon...I tried to sneak a look and almost got my own ass beat...if he wasn't dead he was awefully close.

The DI had been a 1st Cav original with Hal Moore.

My Infantry units in VN ...there ya got to throw pretty much all the grenades you wanted...we even got to feed the locals by fishing off a bridge for them with concussion grenades...which was a whole lotta fun and the kids loved it.
View Quote

Ha!  Parris Island,  I am thinking late August 1987, dipshit from another platoon is failing and gets pissed at the butt service.  He begins to do a one man assault iirc from the 500 yard line toward the butts while rounds are going down range.   I was all WTfF with the early cease fire and look toward the middle of the line and see a pile of asses and elbows thirty yards down range..
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I was not infantry. I got to throw 1 in basic and 2 in an exchange program with the West German army. I got to qualify with all of the German weapons. And do bunker clearing. It was fun. Everything else we did was with practice grenades.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
step in....
View Quote
yes. Drop the grenade, throw the pin
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Why do I keep seeing "chuck" spelled "chunk" on this site?
View Quote

Southern Standard English.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#41]

My only issue with practice is they never let you get used to throwing the practice ones before introducing the other steps ie roll into cover. I never got confident throwing the damn things becuase I never was able to build the feedback
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Things I learned about grenades:

Your buddy always want you to jump on one when they have the hot girl.
Molle I grenade pouches will let them fall out when you bend over to pick something up even though they are snapped and velcro secured.
Left handers hold it upside down.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#43]
I threw one or two during Armor OSUT at Disneyland.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Kinda anti Climatic, don’t get me wrong they will absolutely kill you but Hollywood really makes them out to be way more badass.

We got to watch from a bunker with probably 8” ballistic glass as they detonated. Just a bang and poof of smoke.

Now a claymore holy fuck that is a lot of power.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#45]
According to Dad, his live grenade toss was a little comical. He stepped up and the Corporal handed him a grenade and said, "This is a live grenade. I have a wife and child.". After the successful toss the Corporal said, "Thank you for not killing me, Private.". Rinse and repeat with the next guy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#46]
I believe I threw (2) live frags at basic. 11B OSUT Benning 2/58. Never touched or saw a live grenade the rest of the time in the infantry 82nd. When we got to Iraq and settled, we actually had to turn in our HEDP 40mm. It was deemed 'excessive' apparently. I shit you not. (I was the grenadier).
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#47]
I was looking for a gif when Abe Simpson sat on a grenade with his helmet but couldn’t find one
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Not infantry and threw one frag in BCT. It appears the drill is the same pretty much everywhere. Quite frankly I think it's more one of those confidence drills like being run over by a tank in training.

I do admit that it didn't instill much confidence how it was done in my outfit, which is that the private did the arming inside a zig zag bunker, where one sergeant first gave the body to be held in the weak hand and then after walking around the corner another sergeant gave the fuze to hold in the strong hand. Then you walked around another corner and screwed the fuze in and only then walked out to the throwing pit, which is where the first officer was standing and looked over to see that the fuze was properly inserted.

There were no shrapnel marks in the arming bunker, but there were some in the insides of the pit, which was another concrete fighting position. The target was a piece of telephone pole that was already shredded pretty good. I wonder whose shitty job it was to replace those.

Quite frankly throwing the dye grenades was more fun as you could watch them go off. There have been guys getting their hands injured with those too, so they're not exactly toys either.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Have been a grenade range safety NCO.  Never had to toss a Soldier into the sump.

After quals, I got to throw the leftovers.  Things to note:
I could not bounce a grnade with a second granade.
After a few dozen, it gets really boring.
Pulling a ring with teeth is something I will never do again.
My balls were only big enough for "four one thousand" cook offs.

ETA: was only 11B for a year.  Cassi bombas was on NG time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes
Page / 4
Top Top