Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2009 6:07:55 AM EDT
Not a rant but rather a vociferation. I am fed up displeased with increased property taxes. What pisses me off primarily is that apartment dwellers, who pay zero taxes, have the same 1 vote I have. They also have tend to be far more offspring than homeowners. The county says they need a new high school because of all the offspring and need to raise the millage rate to pay for it. Lets call it what it is: TAX INCREASE ONLY ON HOME OWNERS. Of course those apartment dwellers who breed like rabbits all agree that we need a new school and vote for it, what do they care. My wife and I, who have a total of ZERO kids, oppose it as do most hardworking intelligent homeowners. The referendum passes. Wonderful, I get to pay more for something I don't use to the benefit of folks who wont pay a dime for it.

I know there are some here who live in apartments and I know there are some legitimate reasons to do so: i.e. frequent movers due to occupation, just out of college, etc., but folks with full families living in an apartment for year after year taking from the system and putting nothing back piss me off. Here's an idea, have 1 less kid and buy a house.

Someone explain to me how this is not a form of welfare.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:12:07 AM EDT
[#1]
The owner of the rental property pays the real estate taxes and that amount is calculated into the rent.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Taxes for apartment dwellers are usually factored in with the rent by whoever owns the property or apartments.... I'm not talking about democratic non-swimmers.... but those that live in nice town homes or apartments, that get up and go to work everyday, and are normal productive members of society.

So you're getting pissed and raising your blood pressure for nothing.......

And no I don't live in an apartment.....
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:15:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:15:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The owner of the rental property pays the real estate taxes and that amount is calculated into the rent.

This.

The problem I'm having in this economy is getting the rent from the renters to pay those taxes. It's getting real bad around here.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:16:55 AM EDT
[#5]
They pay the property taxes when they pay their rent, the may even deduct the taxes when they file their income tax. What in the world would make you think that renters are not paying property taxes? Their name might not be on the bill, but they definitely pay.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:32:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What pisses me off primarily is that apartment dwellers, who pay zero taxes, have the same 1 vote I have.

So full of fail, I couldn't even get into the meat of your rant.

0/10

Your rant makes baby Jesus cry.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate the fact that their rent has some property tax in it but they likely have at least 1 year lease and maybe longer. How many more time do you figure I pay for my 1/2 acre lot w/ 4000sq/ft home then what someone in a  3 bedroom apartment pays? Again they probably have 2-3 kids and I have zero. Their rent may go up $25 per month, while my property taxes jump several thousand.

Follow the logic:

Fuel taxes pay for roads - drive more pay more
Tobacco tax pays for health care - smoke more get sick more pay more
Alcohol Tax - drink more pay more

Why not charge folks who have kids in school more then folks who don't or who send their kids to private school? Dont give me the bullshit about a well educated society. Have you seen what the public education system is churning out these days? Its scary.

Its just frustrating to see what choices some people make with zero regard to how they will pay for it all. I know a guy who has 3 kids, wife doesn't work and he makes less then $10 per hour. The other day he was excited to tell me that he was getting a dog for the kids. How many different types of assistance do you have to be on to support a family of 5 on less then $22k per year?? Then to get a dog on top of it.

My point is I don't think most folks can connect the dots and the the corellation is not vivid enough for them when the impact is minimal. If you told them that they would have to come up with another $2500 each year rather then your rent may increase $25 per month when you renew next year, I think they may vote a little differently.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#8]
No home mortgage deduction either for renters.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What pisses me off primarily is that apartment dwellers, who pay zero taxes, have the same 1 vote I have.

0/10

Did you read the first line?

Not meant to be a rant, just one guy sick and tired of being taxed to death by an over reaching government put in place by a lazy and pathetic society far more concerned about what they can get for nothing then about working hard for something.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:44:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Maybe, maybe not. Long-term apartment renters don''t have their rents increase when the tax goes into effect. That's the bonus of signing a 3 or 5 year lease. The rent amount is spelled out up front and doesn't change. Homeowners have their tax bills go up immediately.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:46:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The landlords who own the apartments pay the taxes and pass it on to the tenants in the part of the rent.

raise the millage rate

You get taxed for miles driven?

MiLLage, not MiLEage tax.  Millage tax is the same as property tax, we just never hear it called that out here.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

0/10

Not meant to be a rant, just one guy sick and tired of being taxed to death by an over reaching government put in place by a lazy and pathetic society far more concerned about what they can get for nothing then about working hard for something.

After you get a clue, get a dictionary.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

0/10

I am a reasonable guy, enlighten me. If I am missing something I will gladly admit my error. I make to apologies for spelling however. Obviously it was close enough.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:57:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't pay the tax and see if you actually "own" your property.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Property taxes are figured into the rent, which the landlord pays for.

I'm going to rent an apartment again next year instead of buying a house just to spite you now.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:59:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow, do you think the families who live in a 900 square foot house on a 40' X 100' lot are welfare draining, baby making scum as well? They pay less taxes than you and have an equal vote.

The amount of rent on an apartment in a given area reflects the property taxes of that area. If it is a desirable area with good services but high taxes rent amounts will reflect that.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:00:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

0/10

I am a reasonable guy, enlighten me. If I am missing something I will gladly admit my error. I make to apologies for spelling however. Obviously it was close enough.

"Not a rant but I am fed up with"
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

0/10

"Not a rant but I am fed up with"

Ahh, I see. My understanding of the ARFCOM rant was that it needed to be laced with profanity. I appreciate the heads up and will edit the original post to reflect my intent.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:10:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm not sure where you get the idea that everyone who lives in an apartment is a leach to the system. Apartment does not equal section 8. In fact this area have a lot of apartments that don't accept section 8 because they don't want a certain element destroying their community. Some people may choose a dwelling where they aren't responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the property. I'm also not sure where you got the idea that because you live in an apartment you somehow prone to have more children. I'm curious where you came to that conclusion?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:11:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Actually, the taxes the apartment owners pay are not calculated the same way as 1-4 family residences. Most apartment complexes are taxed as commercial real estate...and since the city fathers want more transitional housing in the community, these taxes are usually deferred or negated completely.

So...he is right to be pissed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Only land owners should have the right to vote....

It's like owning a share of Americas stock..... You have to own at least one share to vote in the board of directors

I pay over $15,000 per year on my home that my dad bought 27 years ago for only $30,000....  It is insane!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm not sure where you get the idea that everyone who lives in an apartment is a leach to the system. Apartment does not equal section 8. In fact this area have a lot of apartments that don't accept section 8 because they don't want a certain element destroying their community. Some people may choose a dwelling where they aren't responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the property. I'm also not sure where you got the idea that because you live in an apartment you somehow prone to have more children. I'm curious where you came to that conclusion?

Not saying all are a drain on the system. Many are in a multitude of ways.

I dont think living in an apartment causes folks to have more kids. I think having more kids forces some folks into living in an apartment. Is happiness some how proportional to the number of offspring?

As I said from the beginning, there are a number of circumstances where apartment dwelling makes perfect sense, i.e. frequent movers, single people, young folks just starting out and saving for a house, old folks downsizing, etc.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey the dudes right... All apartment dwellers DO NOT PAY TAXES IN ANY WAY PERIOD! Some do BUT NOT ALL!  We have the same thing around here. People that are retired and on Social Security and can barely scrounge a living and their property

taxes are going right through the roof so they may have to sell their house. Because people who rent or get FREE GOVT. HOUSING VOTE TO RAISE LEVIES ON HOMEOWNERS!  The state of Ohio has said it is unconstitutional, but it goes onward and upward.

They bait people with hey it will only raise your taxes 10cents a day,, anybody can afford that. Then it gets voted in and its is 35 cents a day for a $35K house. Then a couple months later they release a raise on the property values and suddenly they value your

house that was valued at 100k at 140k and the 10 cents a day is more like a 1.40 a day. I think everybody ought to pay for their own kids to go to school. Then they can send them  where they want to send them and demand a good education, instead of the damn

teachers telling YOU how it is gonna be. And if your child wants to say the pledge or a prayer before class they can. When schools compete, your child wins. Then these teachers making 86k/yr for 180 days might be on the outside looking in.

You guys talk about how great the UAW had it, shit  do you know how long of days and how many days a yr. a UAW SKILLED Tradesman would have to work to make 86k??? A whole lotta 12 hr/7 days a wk and holidays. He would not be sitting on his butt in a

classroom with the airconditioner blasting him out either. He would probably be either on afternoons or midnights too. He would have to have that extra shift premium to help get him to that high of pay. 5% afternoons and 10% midnights(not worth it, feel sick always)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top