Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I admire very few people in this world.
They were my heroes.

Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, they recovered the capsule, anyone have inside info on the switch position? I have never seen it published.
View Quote
Didn't work like that - Link

Remember that the hatch was supposed to blow as the the capsule & accupant were being recovered. The trigger was in the hook for the lifting helicopter as well as an 'emergency' triggering device inside the cabin. There were 'safetys' that had to be manually removed so it could blow, that were removed by Grissom, per procedure.

The emergency actuator apparently had to be hit, hard, by the astronauts fist to get the hatch bolts to explode. In tests & in later flights where the actuator was used, the force severely bruised the astronauts hand. Grissom had no such bruising.

Grissom came very drowning trying to swim in his space suit. He had no flotation device.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Great movie
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#9]
For purists (as I typically tend to be), the film is chockfull of inaccuracies and artistic liberties. That being said, it is one of my absolute favorite films and captures the drama and mystique of that time and those pioneers like few others.

Yeager himself plays the dusty old regular at Pancho's Happy Bottom Riding Club...."Y'all want a drink o whiskey?" (EDIT: Got beat to it...)
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:54:23 AM EDT
[#10]
It's been many years since I have read either book. A question for those that have read both. How does "The right stuff" compare to Michener's "Space"
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:26:38 AM EDT
[#11]
No Bucks.....

No Buck Rodgers....

and...

This issue isn't PUSSY.......It's MONKEY.....
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:27:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All the Right Moves, it also had Lea Thompson naked in it.

Now, I'm not saying you chose poorly but...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That movie got me in trouble.

The ex wife wanted me to take her and a friend to the movies.  She said she wanted to see the right stuff, I thought cool. We get there and they actually wanted to see some crap with Tom Cruise as a football player.  I declined, and got no lovin that night.
All the Right Moves, it also had Lea Thompson naked in it.

Now, I'm not saying you chose poorly but...

No, I made the correct choice. Any movie about the space program is automatically better than any high school movie.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#13]
You want what in there?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It was definitively proven that there was a flaw in the hatch design that caused it to blow. This was mentioned in the HBO series "From The Earth To The Moon". Grissom was cleared of any suspicions of error.
View Quote
And, the event on Liberty Bell 7 set the design parameters that ended up killing Grissom, White and Chaffee in Apollo 1.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A great natural pilot, but everybody I've talked to who has met him says that on a personal level he's an arrogant jerk. Not just the standard level "I'm a pilot" jerk, but off the scale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of my favorite movies.

I always liked General Yeager doing the old drunk guy in the saloon.

The General had the right stuff.
A great natural pilot, but everybody I've talked to who has met him says that on a personal level he's an arrogant jerk. Not just the standard level "I'm a pilot" jerk, but off the scale.
Dunno, when I was a kid my dad and I ran into him at Edwards (?) AFB.  He shook hands with me and chatted with my old man for a while before going his own way.  That was during the Reagan years.  Certainly not a large sample size, but he was all smiles. I thought it was pretty neat.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#17]
FPNI

I watched it in the theater with a date.

As we were leaving I asked her what she thought of the movie, she said:" It was Long, my butt fell asleep..."

I didn't get laid.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#18]
From the book--
"I don't advise it, you understand, but it can be done... Provided you have the right stuff you miserable pudknocker"

Ending line of the movie that just give me the "run outside with the American Flag" chills.....

... But on that glorious day in May 1963, Gordo Cooper went higher, farther, and faster than any other ... Gordo Cooper became the greatest pilot anyone had ever seen.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
A natural born mechanical engineer too.

Would surprise me if he wasn't somewhat of a jerk. You don't accomplish what he has by being a milquetoast.

Read somewhere that during the filming of the movie he took people around Edwards in an old pickup, running as fast as it could go & never stopping at stop signs. People just knew to get out of his way & not bother him. He litterally had the run of the place. Of course, as Yankee Stadium was the house that Ruth built, Edwards is the house that Yeager built...
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Didn't work like that - Link

The emergency actuator apparently had to be hit, hard, by the astronauts fist to get the hatch bolts to explode. In tests & in later flights where the actuator was used, the force severely bruised the astronauts hand. Grissom had no such bruising..
View Quote
How often does one get a "bone bruising" (according to the attached) from a 5 to 6 pound trigger pull? (not trying to start an argument, just wondering if the other guys and NASA were doing a standard .Gov dance to protect the budget)
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Damn fine movie about some GREAT AMERICANS with XXL huevos. Chuck Yeager doesn't get enough attention these days.

Why do we not seem to have these type of humans anymore for kids to look up to? Is it the modern Pussification effect?
View Quote
Some pussification, some lack of opportunity.  We don't have a space program any more.   But hey, at least we've still got the Kartrashians for kids to look up to!
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I see you have some of your space equipment with you, is that your crash helmet ?

Ohhhh I hope not
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#23]
New Kids On The Block - You Got It (The Right Stuff)
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#24]
There are some points in the film that are laughably bad. Ike watching the circus performers and his whiny "no, no, no! I want test pilots!" for example.

The other thing is how it portrays the astronauts as being on one side and the NASA engineers on the other instead of showing how they worked together to get in space. Obviously there were differences in opinions here and there, but it wasn't like guys designing the missions and space craft were the enemy and only our plucky American heroes could save the Mercury program from the stodgy ol' Germans.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of my favorite movies.

I always liked General Yeager doing the old drunk guy in the saloon.

The General had the right stuff.
My father was a fighter pilot and a missile squadron commander.  He met Yeager at an Air Force banquet one time and said he was a hell of a nice guy.
That said, of all my dads friends who were fighter jocks, himself included , they were all arrogant and each one thought they were the best ever.
It goes with the territory.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How often does one get a "bone bruising" (according to the attached) from a 5 to 6 pound trigger pull? (not trying to start an argument, just wondering if the other guys and NASA were doing a standard .Gov dance to protect the budget)
View Quote
I have no idea other than it apparently wasn't a 5-6lb 'trigger'. It was some kind of of plunger that required being 'hit' with a fist so that it was hard to accidentally set off.

I'm not sure if it was in that link or another one that I read, but after the next flight after Grissoms Wally Schirra intentionally kept the safeties in place until the capsule was set down on the carrier flight deck then 'blew' the hatch using the same type emergency device Grissom had, just to prove what it would have done to Grissoms hand, had he set the hatch bolts off.

Of course procedure was to take the saftys off & allow the lifting hook to blow the hatch after the helicopter had began to lift the capsule out of the water.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top